Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6388
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby drseti » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 pm

Clearly I agree with your recommendation, Tim, given that I let my medical lapse and went the Basic Med route. As is the case in all things aeronautical, YMMV.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

rcpilot
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:32 pm
Location: Mastic, NY

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby rcpilot » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:53 am

Not for anything, but as a medical professional, I would like to think that people would want to have a medical checkup annually. Forget about things that might end your flying, there are things that could end your life. Obviously, having insurance coverage to pay for it is ideal.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:01 pm

TimTaylor wrote:There is no reason to ever get another FAA medical unless you get a second class to go for a Commercial certificate. In two years, switch to Basic Med.


Tim, we started down this path because of this statement. This is what I meant by black and white. It doesn't come across as a recommendation, but rather a statement of fact. I simply provided a reason for getting a FAA medical. Saving time, money and hassle are definitely reasons. The OP also added flying out of the country to Mexico or Canada. Whether you think the reasons are enough to change your recommendation or not is irrelevant, they are still reasons. After I presented the reasons instead of accepting that yes there are reasons, you started challenging the reasons I presented.

You are certainly entitled to make recommendations or have an opinion, but you need to realize that others are just as entitled to disagree with your recommendations or have differing opinions. The major problem in all of these threads that go south is that you blow up when someone doesn't agree with what you say. It is okay for people to not agree with you, that's what make this world interesting.

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6388
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby drseti » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm

3Dreaming wrote: It is okay for people to not agree with you, that's what make this world interesting.


Tom, is it OK for me to disagree with that statement? ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

TimTaylor
Posts: 1532
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby TimTaylor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 pm

vespadaddy wrote:Well, all is well that ends well.

I completed the MedXpress form, got my secret number, took a photo of it with my phone, printed the form, and went in.

I breezed through the exam, and was relieved when the Dr. told me I was approved for 3rd class, no restrictions. I went up to the counter to pay and supply the receptionist with the secret number, but she had already logged me in, as the number is on the bottom of the MedXpress printout! D'oh!

Anyway, now I'm good for 2 years, and then will need to decide if I want to see the AME again, or go basic med.

The AME was Dr. Philip Sidell, in Edina, MN. There was a Delta employee finishing up her payment paperwork when I arrived. I get the impression a lot of the airline pilots see this guy. I was nervous, but it all worked out. PPL here I come.


I see no reason for you to ever have another FAA medical exam. In two years switch to Basic Med. Only have an FAA exam if you have to.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

3Dreaming
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:44 pm

TimTaylor wrote:
vespadaddy wrote:Well, all is well that ends well.

I completed the MedXpress form, got my secret number, took a photo of it with my phone, printed the form, and went in.

I breezed through the exam, and was relieved when the Dr. told me I was approved for 3rd class, no restrictions. I went up to the counter to pay and supply the receptionist with the secret number, but she had already logged me in, as the number is on the bottom of the MedXpress printout! D'oh!

Anyway, now I'm good for 2 years, and then will need to decide if I want to see the AME again, or go basic med.

The AME was Dr. Philip Sidell, in Edina, MN. There was a Delta employee finishing up her payment paperwork when I arrived. I get the impression a lot of the airline pilots see this guy. I was nervous, but it all worked out. PPL here I come.


I see no reason for you to ever have another FAA medical exam. In two years switch to Basic Med. Only have an FAA exam if you have to.


And who knows where we would be if you had said it like that instead of how you actually said it? At least here you are showing that it is a personal opinion, and not a blanket statement that applies to everyone.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Tips for selecting an AME in my area? (Minneapolis)

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:46 pm

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: It is okay for people to not agree with you, that's what make this world interesting.


Tom, is it OK for me to disagree with that statement? ;)


ABSOLUTELY :D I'm even okay if Tim disagrees with it.


Return to “Medical Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests