Toy airplanes

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

CharlieTango

Re: Toy airplanes

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote: I got that info from a CFI. ... I have never flown a Cessna so I admit I can't speak from experience... So I'll ask him when I see him next to clarify.
You may have no experience with a Cessna but you own a CTLS and yet you call me the fool for saying it has flaperons. Your excuse doesn't work in that case, seems to me that you just make stuff up and sell it like you are some kind of authority.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

CTLSi wrote:I admit I can't speak from experience.
Yes!

This!!!

Now that we've established this, my working theory is he said "Cirrus" (which did at one point have a bungee interconnect) and not Cessna.

I find it interesting - in your own plane you rave about every little labor-saving device, yet you are quick to jump on one particular such device, which while not universally applauded, can actually make flying easier.

Like I said, interesting.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:I think he is a student pilot. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
No, absolutely nothing wrong with that. That's how we all started out.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

According to the magic of google, the aileron/rudder interconnect was a mod required from 72-74 on Cessna 185s that were fitted with floats, and came standard on any aircraft that were shipped from the factory with floats afterward.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote:And I think FlyingForFun is a hothead who deletes most of his remarks for obvious reasons.

Is the rule then to not offer the expert opinion from others that may or may not turn out to be right? If so, then the opinion of most on this site is to be rejected out of hand? Granted there are a guys commenting on this and ctfllier site that should not be trusted, but some guys on the two sites I find to be informative and usually correct.
No the "rule" (more of a really good guideline) of online discussion etiquette is that when offering a third party opinion, it should not be stated as FACT, and the source should be cited. There is a lot of difference between the following two statements:

1) "Cessnas have interconnected ailerons and rudder, making them easier to fly than a CT."

and

2) "One of my CFIs told me that Cessnas have interconnected ailerons and rudder, making them easier to fly than a CT."

In the second example, you are merely reporting on information you have heard, but not personally verified. There in an implicit question of "Is that correct?" built in, and the referenced CFI is the authority of the claim, and will be held to account for it by other forum members.

In the first example, since no other person is mentioned, you are personally assuming the authority for the statement as a personally verified or researched fact. If it's wrong, you will be held responsible for spreading wrong information, not doing good research, and generally not knowing what you are talking about.

Your personal reputation in the pilot community as a source of credible information is at stake here. You can state every snippet of rumor, out of context conversation, and offhand comment you run across as fact, but you have to be prepared to be completely disregarded as both a source of information and a competent pilot, which is what has happened to you on every forum I have seen you participate in.

Your mouth is writing checks your knowledge and experience can't cash. It might be wise to start signing somebody else's name to those checks...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

That was wonderfully diplomatic, Andy. Perhaps you should be forum moderator. :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Andy,

Nice post - I think you zeroed in on a big part of the issue here.

Aileron/rudder interconnect is not, in and of itself, a bad thing. "Real" airplanes often take it a step farther with "yaw dampers".

You can immediately tell if a plane has interconnected ailerons and rudders - move one and the other moves along with it to some degree. In some installations, I think it works one way - aileron adds rudder, but rudder does not add aileron.

Here's what it looks like on a Cirrus:

Yes, that's a literal bungee you see there, to add some rudder pressure with aileron. As an aside, that system could lock up under certain circumstances and there was an AD on it. As an aside to the aside, later model Cirrus' did away with it.

I'm still voting for the fact that CTLSi misheard the CFI - any CFI who had flown a variety of Cessnas would have to know that aileron and rudder were independent of each other.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

There was a similar bungee interconnect on my old Beechcraft, originally. When the autopilot was upgraded to an additional axis, the STC called for removing it.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

It would appear that the folks at Dassault don't know what flaperons are, either. :evil:

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.asp ... 628775.xml
See page 2.

[edit: there needs to be a tongue-in-cheek emoticon]
- Bruce
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

To All,
I have been a member of this site for several years and have enjoyed the technical assistance, general information, and various opinions of the members. Recently, I have noted negative comments, slanderous statements, and a general bashing of some designs. I am one of the older crowd in aviation, have flow a variety of aircraft, and have the unique experience of growing up designing, building, and testing aircraft. I learned each aircraft has its unique qualities, attributes, positives and negatives, but all designs are valuable and have a place in aviation. No design deserves bashing or condemnation, especially from what appears to be a few who have never designed and built their own aircraft – have no design and testing background – and are probable quite experienced at benefiting from someone else’s blood, sweat, and tears. Please keep this a positive site to share experience, knowledge, and assist in a continued dialogue on Light Sport Aviation.
Respectfully
Don Stits
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

CTLSi wrote: "Andy' is another guy on the ctflier site that posts a ton of nonsense, incidentally.
What's that saying that involves a black pot and kettle?

Andy doesn't claim his CT can do 147kts, he doesn't advise against the use of trim, or flaps or landing at minimum speed. He doesn't claim that a crosswind will 'stop' you. He actually believes that a CT has flaperons and that chute deployments damage the aircraft. Remember the claim that there is no damage because there is a fabric panel for the chute to exit through?

I bet I can make a list of 50 nonsensical assertions all made by a single poster and it wasn't Andy, he has a good head on his shoulders and has a basic understanding of most concepts related to aviation. If your statement wasn't so funny I would contend that you owe him an apology.