2007 AMD 601XLB for sale

Got something to buy or sell? Post it here!

Moderator: drseti

nbjeeptj

2007 AMD 601XLB for sale

Post by nbjeeptj »

I have decided to sell my plane. I have had some medical issues and have not felt comfortable going flying for a few years now. The plane is a factory built SLSA, with 0-200 engine. I will have to update the hrs when I can get over to the hangar but it is somewhere around 400. It has a dynon D100 and a D10. the GPS is a Ifly 700. $35,000.00. I will update this with correct hrs and some pictures as soon as I can get to the airport.
zodiac flyer

Re: 2007 AMD 601XLB for sale

Post by zodiac flyer »

Thats a great deal, why don't you put in on Barnstormers. Its free for a small basic ad and the coverage is huge.
Dave
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

nbjeeptj wrote:...have not felt comfortable going flying for a few years now.
Sounds intriguing...

However, the quoted statement makes me wonder whether registration and annual condition inspection are up-to-date? If it’s been sitting unflown for “a few years”, it might take some work to get it airworthy, as well as 2020 ADS-B compliant.
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

I found an undated photo online of what appears to be the listed airplane. It looks nice in the photo. Too bad the OP hasn't been back with photos and details.

https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquir ... rTxt=601ES
N601ES.jpg
N601ES.jpg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

HornedFrogGrant wrote:
Sounds intriguing...

However, the quoted statement makes me wonder whether registration and annual condition inspection are up-to-date? If it’s been sitting unflown for “a few years”, it might take some work to get it airworthy, as well as 2020 ADS-B compliant.
The registration on N601ES is current and expires on 9/30/2023. However, equipping an SLSA whose manufacturer (AMD) went out of business in 2010 with ADS-B is problematic; there is nobody to provide a letter of authorization for modifications. The only way around this catch 22 is to convert it to experimental. Ask me how I know. :wink:
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
nbjeeptj

Post by nbjeeptj »

That is my airplane in the picture above. I thought I had photos saved on my computer of it but I dont, and I have not been back to that side of town to stop by and take photos. The annual is out of date, but other than the lack of ADSB everything is in great shape. As for the ADSB issue, I have not researched what would have to be done. It may be that Zenair has provided some guidance on this, as they took on the responsibility for the AMD continued airworthiness for the 601, 650 and 2000. If they have not it could be converted to ElSA and installed then.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Airplane looks cool, I work in IT and everytime I see "AMD" I think you're talking about computer processors for a split second :lol:
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Scooper wrote:
HornedFrogGrant wrote:
Sounds intriguing...

The registration on N601ES is current and expires on 9/30/2023. However, equipping an SLSA whose manufacturer (AMD) went out of business in 2010 with ADS-B is problematic; there is nobody to provide a letter of authorization for modifications. The only way around this catch 22 is to convert it to experimental. Ask me how I know. :wink:
On the plus side, I have found no disadvantages to going experimental, other than the mild paperwork hassle of doing so. If you can find a good DAR it's really not a painful process. Some say there are resale implications, but I asked two DARs and they thought there was zero change to value, just the audience you are selling to might shift a bit.

Being able to do your own work for tasks you are comfortable with (after an LSRM course) is like printing money. Or at least not lighting it on fire. :D
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

My next free EAA Webinar, "Fast Track to Experimental," will deal with the process, and implications, of re-licensing an SLSA as an ELSA. It is scheduled for 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, 8 July 2020. Registration is required at http://eaa.org/webinars.

Be sure to register early; the site accommodates only 1000 live participants, and it's first come, first served. Last week I had 1900 signed up, but only the first thousand got in. (Latecomers are able to view the videos of all my webinars after the fact, from my website: http://avsport.org/webinars.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:My next free EAA Webinar, "Fast Track to Experimental," will deal with the process, and implications, of re-licensing an SLSA as an ELSA. It is scheduled for 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, 8 July 2020. Registration is required at http://eaa.org/webinars.

Be sure to register early; the site accommodates only 1000 live participants, and it's first come, first served. Last week I had 1900 signed up, but only the first thousand got in. (Latecomers are able to view the videos of all my webinars after the fact, from my website: http://avsport.org/webinars.)
I'm surprised you are doing a webinar on this topic. As a flight school operator, I didn't think you ran any experimentals.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote: I'm surprised you are doing a webinar on this topic. As a flight school operator, I didn't think you ran any experimentals.
I don't own any, Andy (for the obvious reason that I can't use an ELSA of my own in rental, or training for hire). But I either train or examine many students in their own aircraft, some of which are experimentals, and I have no prejudice against them. (After all, Experimental is EAA's first name...)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

drseti wrote:My next free EAA Webinar, "Fast Track to Experimental," will deal with the process, and implications, of re-licensing an SLSA as an ELSA. It is scheduled for 8 PM EDT on Wednesday, 8 July 2020. Registration is required at http://eaa.org/webinars.
I've signed up. :D
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:On the plus side, I have found no disadvantages to going experimental, other than the mild paperwork hassle of doing so. If you can find a good DAR it's really not a painful process. Some say there are resale implications, but I asked two DARs and they thought there was zero change to value, just the audience you are selling to might shift a bit.

Being able to do your own work for tasks you are comfortable with (after an LSRM course) is like printing money. Or at least not lighting it on fire.
I agree with Andy.

Over the past 5 years, the temperament about taking an airplane "experimental" has somewhat shifted. It used to be that some people would not even consider an airplane if it was categorized as experimental. The main reasons were fear of inferior maintenance and loss of resale value. Those myths have all but disappeared. I have found, there are some experimental airplanes which are better equipped and maintained than standard category aircraft. Without a doubt, as far as ownership, going experimental provides much more versatility. And if the new owner isn't afraid of turning a few wrenches once in a while, it can save quite a bit in operating costs.

The keys to finding such aircraft are a good pre-buy inspection, by a knowledgable and competent mechanic, and good aircraft documentation.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Wm.Ince wrote:
MrMorden wrote:On the plus side, I have found no disadvantages to going experimental, other than the mild paperwork hassle of doing so. If you can find a good DAR it's really not a painful process. Some say there are resale implications, but I asked two DARs and they thought there was zero change to value, just the audience you are selling to might shift a bit.

Being able to do your own work for tasks you are comfortable with (after an LSRM course) is like printing money. Or at least not lighting it on fire.
I agree with Andy.

Over the past 5 years, the temperament about taking an airplane "experimental" has somewhat shifted. It used to be that some people would not even consider an airplane if it was categorized as experimental. The main reasons were fear of inferior maintenance and loss of resale value. Those myths have all but disappeared. I have found, there are some experimental airplanes which are better equipped and maintained than standard category aircraft. Without a doubt, as far as ownership, going experimental provides much more versatility. And if the new owner isn't afraid of turning a few wrenches once in a while, it can save quite a bit in operating costs.

The keys to finding such aircraft are a good pre-buy inspection, by a knowledgable and competent mechanic, and good aircraft documentation.
I also agree with Andy and Bill. It's the best thing I ever did with my SportCruiser. My value has increased with all the newest avionics, auto pilot and other gadgets I've added. If not I'd be stuck with old and discontinued avionics which no one would have wanted and those very same old avionics would have lowered the value of my plane if I needed to sell. Taking the LSRI class that allows me to do my own annual condition inspections, performing my own regular maintenance and other upgrades myself have SIGNIFICANTLY lowered my annual operating costs.

E-LSA is the new L-LSA, all the cool kids are doing it. :mrgreen:

That said, seeing Bill write what he did surprises me. Ask him about going experimental just a year ago and you would have gotten a different answer. Seems like just yesterday he and I would go round and round about going experimental, he was totally against it for so long. :mrgreen:
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ShawnM wrote:. . . . . seeing Bill write what he did surprises me. Ask him about going experimental just a year ago and you would have gotten a different answer. Seems like just yesterday he and I would go round and round about going experimental, he was totally against it for so long.
I don't think that is quite accurate. As you may recall, I actually took my airplane E-LSA 18 months ago.

I have been in the light sport arena now for 6 years. Initially, when I first approached the GA market, I was very skeptical of the 'experimental' label. There seemed to be a consensus, amongst many first time buyers, myself included, to steer clear of experimental, for the reasons previously stated. That's why I did not even consider one. As I opined before, I think the climate has changed. The experimental market has grown a lot over that period, to the point where more informed buyers are becoming more comfortable with its possibilities and advantages. Forums such as this one and others have provided good information on its merits.

Just for the record . . . it has always been my position, that you will never really know how "experimental" affects the value of your airplane, until the day you sell it. I still stand by that.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator