New LSA rules and insurance

Bob Mackey, Vice President of Falcon Insurance Agency (the official insurance agency for the EAA's Aircraft Insurance Plan), has graciously agreed to moderate this forum and answer your aircraft insurance questions. Thanks Bob!

Moderators: drseti, Bob Mackey

drseti

Re: New LSA rules and insurance

Post by drseti »

Don't get too excited about proposed rule changes, and don't hold your breath. It took FAA over a decade to create Basic Med after it was proposed, and that only happened because of a Congressional mandate. And, we have absolutely no idea what the final LSA rule change will actually be, if there ever is one. For now, your only real choice is to work within the existing regulations.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

drseti wrote:Don't get too excited about proposed rule changes, and don't hold your breath. It took FAA over a decade to create Basic Med after it was proposed, and that only happened because of a Congressional mandate. And, we have absolutely no idea what the final LSA rule change will actually be, if there ever is one. For now, your only real choice is to work within the existing regulations.
Congress has mandated that this come out soon. The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires that they release the new rules in their finalized form by 2023. It also looks that the final draft will be released sometime around 2021.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

fatsportpilot wrote:
drseti wrote:Don't get too excited about proposed rule changes, and don't hold your breath. It took FAA over a decade to create Basic Med after it was proposed, and that only happened because of a Congressional mandate. And, we have absolutely no idea what the final LSA rule change will actually be, if there ever is one. For now, your only real choice is to work within the existing regulations.
Congress has mandated that this come out soon. The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires that they release the new rules in their finalized form by 2023. It also looks that the final draft will be released sometime around 2021.
In 2013 Congress mandated that the FAA to implement the the Aviation Rulemaking committee's recommendations for changes to part 23 regulations by December 31, 2015. The FAA issued the NPRM for that in 2016, and I'm still waiting on those changes. Just because Congress mandated the FAA to do something doesn't mean it is going to happen.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

3Dreaming wrote:
fatsportpilot wrote:
In 2013 Congress mandated that the FAA to implement the the Aviation Rulemaking committee's recommendations for changes to part 23 regulations by December 31, 2015. The FAA issued the NPRM for that in 2016, and I'm still waiting on those changes. Just because Congress mandated the FAA to do something doesn't mean it is going to happen.
I'm only going by what Dan Johnson seems to think (or hope). Maybe I'm being too optimistic. :(
drseti

Post by drseti »

fatsportpilot wrote: I'm only going by what Dan Johnson seems to think (or hope). Maybe I'm being too optimistic. :(
I like Dan, but one should never forget that he is the head cheerleader for the LSA industry. It's his job to be upbeat and optimistic (but not mine).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

drseti wrote:
fatsportpilot wrote: I'm only going by what Dan Johnson seems to think (or hope). Maybe I'm being too optimistic. :(
I like Dan, but one should never forget that he is the head cheerleader for the LSA industry. It's his job to be upbeat and optimistic (but not mine).
In your opinion are the new MOSAIC rules going to be basically useless? Like a very slight increase in weight but requiring a 3rd class medical to fly in the first place or something like that? I'd be bummed out if that meant that some new LSAs could not be flown by sports pilots at all.
drseti

Post by drseti »

From last year's AirVenture:
Addressing light-sport aircraft, Elwell announced that LSA will have an increased weight and up to four seats so that, as he put it, "Instructors can now have some margin when flying with guys like me who like our bratwurst." He also added that electric powerplants will be permissible, which has long been a goal for EAA, along with providing for other emerging technologies.
I would have expected more at this year's AirVenture, but apparently that's going to be held in 2021!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Dang!