ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ryoder

Re: ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Post by ryoder »

Just an update. The Garmin kit is installed and working great. I didn’t pay for the installation my friend did it under IA supervision. So that save me some money. Glad it’s all done and it works flawlessly.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ryoder wrote:Just an update. The Garmin kit is installed and working great. I didn’t pay for the installation my friend did it under IA supervision. So that save me some money. Glad it’s all done and it works flawlessly.
What Garmin kit?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

Wm.Ince wrote:
ryoder wrote:Just an update. The Garmin kit is installed and working great. I didn’t pay for the installation my friend did it under IA supervision. So that save me some money. Glad it’s all done and it works flawlessly.
What Garmin kit?
I’m guessing he’s talking about the Garmin GDL-82...?
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

Should have said Cessna kit which includes the 82 and all the parts to complete the installation.
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

All,

A little late but, just a comment, The Service bulletins wants you to buy the kit from Cessna, and there are a couple of things you are not going to find anywhere else. The L band antenna is from Cessna, $500 and the sub kit with labels and wiring another $100 and can be ordered from a Cessna Service Center. The SB states that no substitution of parts is permitted. You can buy all of the parts from Aircraft Spruce including the GDL 82, the wiring, the connectors, the mounting hardware, rivets and doubler material, check the part numbers. My installation complies with the SB every part called out in the service bulletin was used. The materials cost was half of the rip off price. I have my LSRM ticket and did the work over a couple of days. And as far as the ASDB refund, their timing to release the SB had all of the reservations claimed, their poor timing cost me $500. They knew about the FAA requirement and due date for how many years? :twisted:

If your C162 does not have the XM antenna the mount is the same for the GPS antenna. I noticed that and wondered why Cessna didn't use that as an option. Also, if Cessna was so restrictive to increasing weight, why didn't they just have us replace the transponder with a GTX 330? the kit added 3.5 lbs. to empty weight, so no more coffee to go. I saw a 162 for sale that stated it had the GTX 330 and I know for a fact that "Just say NO Cessna" :twisted: will not even open the email for a LOA.

Cessna knows that the SL40and the GTX 327 is no longer being manufactured, Garmin has the GTR200 and GTX325 new units available and would require only connector wiring to install. They have but no plans to for avionics obsolescence, except " let it die on the vine". Software, they own G300 software through Ver 6.2 and no plans to upgrade even though the G3X software improved and has features we might like, but "Don't Care Cessna" :x has forced some owners to go "experimental" to upgrade. And while I am venting, autopilot was a option but Trutrack nor "Just say No Cessna" have any hardware or information on the system. It is in the service manual though.

I love flying my 162 and the flight school I lease it to gets very good feedback form people who have flown it. The aircraft is great but Cessna support is poor to non existent.

Randall Bearden
Sport Pilot
LSRM

Sport pilot training is available at Atlanta Air Academy at KRYY. :D
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

The FAA makes regulatory requirements. Aircraft manufactures do not, they can suggest but they cannot override 14 CFR part 43. As the owner operator if is says you can replace batteries, you are authorized to do that work and record it in your aircraft log book.

Read the 14 CFR part 43 paragraph 3 (g) and Appendix A (c) preventive maintenance. "The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light sport category." Appendix A - Batteries Included! :D

This is the final word on preventive maintenance the owner/operator can do on a SLSA. Everything else is chatter.

Randall Bearden
LSRM
drseti

Post by drseti »

RBearden56 wrote:Read the 14 CFR part 43 paragraph 3 (g)
Paragraph 3(g) of part 43 dot what?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

From FAR 43 Appendix A:
(c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:
Note that there was an FAA Legal opinion stating that this list is representative, not exhaustive. But nowhere did that legal interpretation discuss who could perform which preventive maintenance task.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

drseti wrote:
RBearden56 wrote:Read the 14 CFR part 43 paragraph 3 (g)
Paragraph 3(g) of part 43 dot what?
Never mind, I figured it out. This appears in 14 CFR part 43.3, paragraph (g).

That is clear enough, but since Part 43 Appendix A is representative, not exhaustive, the manufacturer of an SLSA can still decide what they consider preventive maintenance. They specify approved tasks in the maintenance manual. And another FAR says that an SLSA must be maintained in a accordance with manufacturer's instructions. So this is how the manufacturer restricts you: by not including the task you want to perform in their list of preventive maintenance tasks.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US