Basic Med Loop Hole?

Here's the place to ask all of your medical questions. But don't believe everything you read!

Moderator: drseti

WDD

Basic Med Loop Hole?

Post by WDD »

As odd as it seems, I sometimes see the FAA regulations as a fun puzzle. Yes, I did say "as odd as it seems".

You can get a sport license and fly without a 3rd class medical ASSUMING you've never been denied or had your medical revoked.

Basic Med requires that you have had a valid 3rd class medical after - what, 2006 or something.

But (maybe I missed it) it doesn't say that you can't get Basic Med if you had a 3rd class medial revoked.

I've got to missing something!

(Just to document - I've got a 3rd class medical and a PPL license, I've never had anything revoked, nor do I have any reason that it ever will be. I'm not putting this puzzle up for nefarious reasons, just a puzzle. )
Warmi

Re: Basic Med Loop Hole?

Post by Warmi »

From their FAQ ...to me it implies that if you medical was suspended or reworked, you need to get a new one

Q8: My most recent medical certificate was suspended for legal action by the FAA and then later reinstated. May I operate under BasicMed?
A: No. If your most recent medical certificate was suspended due to legal action (even if it was later reinstated) you must obtain a new FAA medical certificate of any class before operating under BasicMed. However, if your application was previously denied and you subsequently received a new medical certificate or a special issuance, you may operate under BasicMed.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

61.23 (c), (3), (ii), (C) Cannot have been suspended or revoked.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I see the confusion. The rule is in Part 61, not in 68 (which establishes Basic Med). But Tom is right.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Bottom line: any time there's an apparent loophole in one Part of Volume 14, Consolidated Federal Regulations, it's most likely plugged in another Part.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
WDD

Post by WDD »

Puzzle solved! Yeah, I knew the FAA army of FAR commandos couldn't have let that go unplugged LOL. Thank you gentlemen.