New Guy in NH

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Bobrob

New Guy in NH

Post by Bobrob »

Hey all,

As the title says, I'm new to the forum and to the world of Sport Pilot/LSA. I've had a PPL with instrument rating for about 25 years now but due to a one off medical occurance the FAA says is disqualifying, I'm getting back into it flying an RV-12. Great little airplane and a blast to fly, but at $175/hr to rent, it's a bit spendy.

That said, I'm looking to buy or build something in the coming months or years depending on what I decide. With all the rumors floating around about the changes to SP/LSA, I'm glad I'm in no rush. I'd hate to spend $90K on an RV-12 only to have the rules change allowing me to fly an Archer again.

If anyone is in NH and has a CH-650 built, I'd love the chance to check it out some day (that one is on my short list of kits, too).
Scooper

Re: New Guy in NH

Post by Scooper »

Welcome to Sport Pilot Talk, Bob.

I fly a AMD CH601XLi converted to ELSA through a DAR and love it. I've flown CH650s and they fly very similarly. Sadly, I'm on the left coast.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for the proposed changes to the LSA standards. The bureaucracy doesn't do anything in a hurry, and often the pace of change is glacial. Many LSAs meeting the current ASTM standards are quite capable.

I'm assuming that your most recent medical certificate hasn't been suspended or revoked, your most recent application for a medical certificate hasn't been denied, or your most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn. Any one of these disqualifies you from using a valid state driver's license in lieu of a medical certificate to exercise the privileges of a sport pilot.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome to the forum, Bobrob!
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Welcome to the forum.

I’m a PP who migrated to Light Sport, currently own a Sling 2, S-LSA. It’s also available in a kit. It’s as responsive as the -12, but if built EAB MAUW IS 1540 lbs, not 1320. There is no difference structurally, between the S-LSA version and the kit, it’s all about paperwork. The factory has already stated they will provide paperwork IF and When the FAA ever make the change to weight.

Good Luck!
Bobrob

Post by Bobrob »

Scooper wrote:Welcome to Sport Pilot Talk, Bob.

I fly a AMD CH601XLi converted to ELSA through a DAR and love it. I've flown CH650s and they fly very similarly. Sadly, I'm on the left coast.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for the proposed changes to the LSA standards. The bureaucracy doesn't do anything in a hurry, and often the pace of change is glacial. Many LSAs meeting the current ASTM standards are quite capable.

I'm assuming that your most recent medical certificate hasn't been suspended or revoked, your most recent application for a medical certificate hasn't been denied, or your most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate withdrawn. Any one of these disqualifies you from using a valid state driver's license in lieu of a medical certificate to exercise the privileges of a sport pilot.

Thanks.

Yeah I knew better than to apply for a medical so I'm good in that regard. My doc at the time advised me to let it expire.

Had my BFR (or flight review) signed off last week in the RV-12 which is a blast to fly, but 30K more to build unless I do it as an E-AB, which I'd rather avoid with that airframe. The CH-650 looks great and I like the idea of putting the 130 HP UL engine up front so.... I'm leaning heavly in that direction.
Bobrob

Post by Bobrob »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Welcome to the forum.

I’m a PP who migrated to Light Sport, currently own a Sling 2, S-LSA. It’s also available in a kit. It’s as responsive as the -12, but if built EAB MAUW IS 1540 lbs, not 1320. There is no difference structurally, between the S-LSA version and the kit, it’s all about paperwork. The factory has already stated they will provide paperwork IF and When the FAA ever make the change to weight.

Good Luck!
Keeping my fingers crossed they do something about the weight/performance matrix but not holding my breath. I'm not getting any younger so I'll pull the trigger on something sooner rather than later.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Hey NH guy. I hope to have my sport cert in 2020 so i can fly from CT to my vacation property in NH. I have some land in Dalton. Right next to Forest Lake. What part of NH do you reside? KHIE is the closest to my property. I could use 8B2 as well but i think KHIE is a better facility.
-Tony
Bobrob

Post by Bobrob »

Atrosa wrote:Hey NH guy. I hope to have my sport cert in 2020 so i can fly from CT to my vacation property in NH. I have some land in Dalton. Right next to Forest Lake. What part of NH do you reside? KHIE is the closest to my property. I could use 8B2 as well but i think KHIE is a better facility.
-Tony

I'm about 8 miles south of Laconia. I've been flying out of Portsmouth, which is a bit of a haul but it's the closest place to rent an LSA and get my BFR signed in the same. I'll probably base out of Laconia or Concord, Skyhaven in Rochester is also a possibility. Hangar space is tough to come by so that will play a role in addition to location. The rates I have found run around $400/month for shared space, T-Hangars are so scarce, I have yet to find one open.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

I'm hoping to make my 4 hour car ride from central CT to Dalton NH a 2 hour flight. Driving through the Presidentials is fun flying over them must be spectacular.