ICAO flight plan format

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: ICAO flight plan format

Post by TimTaylor »

Flight following is just another set of eyes helping you avoid other aircraft. It's still up to the PIC to "see and avoid." You can request clearance through class B or C airspace and you may or may not get it. I've never heard of or tried getting cleared through class D airspace.

Flight following is available on a work load basis. What I like about it is having someone a "button click" away in an emergency. If I lose an engine, I would rather tell them I'm going down than to rely on a VFR flight plan. Of course, you can do both if you want.
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

TimTaylor wrote:You can request clearance through class B or C airspace and you may or may not get it. I've never heard of or tried getting cleared through class D airspace.
Just for the record, "clearance" is not required to enter Class C and D airspace.

ATC clearance is required for Class B, but for Class C and D airspace, only two-way radio communication is required prior to entry.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

JJay wrote: as those are portable devices I assume I can't actually report having ADS-B "in" capability - is that correct?
An excellent question, JJ, to which I'm afraid I don't have the answer. I know a GPS receiver doesn't get listed unless it's permanently installed, but I can't find any FAR specifying whether the same applies to datalink receivers. Can anyone here give me a reference?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

This is posted on the FAA's ADS-B FAQ page, does this help?

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/r ... s/faq/#q40

Will the FAA allow portable/handheld units, or will they have to be panel mounts only?
Installed transponders and GPS units must meet certification standards. Handheld devices and displays that serve only for situational awareness have more flexibility and are not certified installations. In order to comply with 14 CFR § 91.225 and 91.227 aircraft intended to fly in ADS-B airspace must have installed and certified equipment. Portable installations are not compliant to the rule and would only be usable for receiving FIS-B services for situational awareness. The FAA is in the early stages of investigating a portable device for glider aircraft.
JJay

Post by JJay »

Not sure that actually answers the question. Those FAQ's refer mainly to the 2020 mandate for ADS-B Out. I don't know that it specifies that a flight plan should list ADSB-In equipage if such equipage is not permanently mounted in the aircraft.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

JJay wrote:Not sure that actually answers the question. Those FAQ's refer mainly to the 2020 mandate for ADS-B Out. I don't know that it specifies that a flight plan should list ADSB-In equipage if such equipage is not permanently mounted in the aircraft.
Correct, I just posted this because to fly in ADS-B rule airspace you need installed, certified equipment, not portable equipment. I'm going out on a limb here and thinking that the FAA would want some uniformity between rules using the same equipment. They (FAA) just dont put a lot of faith in portable equipment for one reason or another. Since they say it's only good for "situational awareness" and if on a flight plan something oges wrong they want to be able to find you quicker.

You ask a great question though about portable vs panel mount because I have both. My GDL-82 is a certified OUT unit but my GDL-39 is a portable IN unit but it's hardwired into my avionics.

It's just not complicated enough yet. :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

ShawnM wrote: It's just not complicated enough yet. :mrgreen:
You're right! We're not happy if you're not... confused.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well , I have GDL 39R which is obviously mounted permanently but the display is either Area 796 ( mounted in a permanent cradle but the device is removable ) or an IPad.
So is that a permanent or portable setup ? :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ICAO job security . . . alive and well.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:Well , I have GDL 39R which is obviously mounted permanently but the display is either Area 796 ( mounted in a permanent cradle but the device is removable ) or an IPad.
So is that a permanent or portable setup ? :-)
The way I look at it, which means absolutely nothing by the way, is that your 796 is part of the "equipment list" for your plane and even because it's mounted in a dock it's permanent and came with the plane. The GDL-39 is portable device, like mine even though hardwired and mounted, and not part of the "equipment list" in your POH.

That was my guess, clear as mud? :mrgreen:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well GDL 39R is mouthed permanently since it is the “remote” version ... similar to GDL 82 , I would think but like you said ... who knows ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

If it's a part of the plane, and its functional, and you use it, I'd list it on my flight plan. What are they going to do if it's wrong, shoot you down?
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Paul -- you beat me to it!

Basically, a VFR flight plan is mostly informational -- provides a paper trail that you had a plan and probably followed the other planning regs and is used for SAR. You are not going to get different services based on the equipage you list. An IFR flight plan is a bit different since your navigational equipment will dictate what type of routing and approach you can accept. In this case, I'm unaware of any extra services you will be provided because you have ADS-B In (certified or not).
dave
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Makes sense to me. If ADS-B in was required equipment, that would be a different story.
Retired from flying.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I agree, I don’t see how it would change things on a VFR flight plan. I don’t file flight plans anyway but instead use flight following on the longer flights. I’m with Tim and like knowing someone is at the other end of my push to talk button if the need arises.