My New-to-me Cirrus

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

My New-to-me Cirrus

Post by dstclair »

I know this is neither light sport nor sport pilot eligible but given I've been a member here for 11 years thought I post a bit about my trip to pick up my 2002 SR22 G1 from Portland, OR this past weekend. I posted earlier that my mission changed such that I needed an IFR traveler. Well, N810PT showed quite well on Saturday! Took off in 1/4 mile vis, 300 ft ceiling with fog, tops at 1200', then proceeded to the SE at 15,500 for a 1500nm trip to the Dallas. Cruised at 168-170 KTAS at 11gph and made the trip in 8.1 air hours. The SR22 is serious traveling machine and a very comfortable ride. Here are few pics of the plane and crossing the Sierras:
N810PT3sm.jpg
N810PT3sm.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 13118 times
N810PT InteriorSm.jpg
N810PT InteriorSm.jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 13118 times
Mnts.jpg
Mnts.jpg (78.92 KiB) Viewed 13118 times
For most part I 'flew' the autopilot and learned a lot of the avionics on the flight with my ferry pilot. Interesting that the Cirrus training is very much an airline approach of cockpit management. I have a Cirrus Embark transition (24 hrs of ground/air) training scheduled over the next couple weeks before the insurance company will let me take the training wheels off.
dave
Wm.Ince

Re: My New-to-me Cirrus

Post by Wm.Ince »

dstclair wrote:I know this is neither light sport nor sport pilot eligible but given I've been a member here for 11 years thought I post a bit about my trip to pick up my 2002 SR22 G1 from Portland, OR this past weekend. I posted earlier that my mission changed such that I needed an IFR traveler. Well, N810PT showed quite well on Saturday! Took off in 1/4 mile vis, 300 ft ceiling with fog, tops at 1200', then proceeded to the SE at 15,500 for a 1500nm trip to the Dallas. Cruised at 168-170 KTAS at 11gph and made the trip in 8.1 air hours. The SR22 is serious traveling machine and a very comfortable ride. Here are few pics of the plane and crossing the Sierras:N810PT3sm.jpgN810PT InteriorSm.jpgMnts.jpg

For most part I 'flew' the autopilot and learned a lot of the avionics on the flight with my ferry pilot. Interesting that the Cirrus training is very much an airline approach of cockpit management. I have a Cirrus Embark transition (24 hrs of ground/air) training scheduled over the next couple weeks before the insurance company will let me take the training wheels off.
Outstanding . . . and congratulations, Dave. Beautiful airplane . . . and panel!

Is that Mt. Hood, off to the right, in the airborne photo?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I took off from Aurora (the home of Vans) so my route was a bit south of Mt. Hood. I'm pretty sure that this particular peak is Mt. Jefferson.
dave
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

dstclair wrote: ...
Cruised at 168-170 KTAS at 11gph and made the trip in 8.1 air hours.
So , hmm.. gallon for gallon your old Sting was actually more efficient after all ... about 110 KTAS at 5.5gph :D

Of course, savings in time and comfort provided by the Cirrus cannot be so easily quantified ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

In this case, the total fuel would've been about the same. The route I took in the SR22 would not have been practical or safe in the Sting. A more prudent route for the Sting would've been more southerly down through CA then through southern AZ and NM to avoid the much higher terrain. With similar winds as my trip, the Sting would've taken 15.1 hrs for a nearly 1800nm trip and burn around 82 gallons. Pretty much identical to my fuel consumed in the SR22. :D

That being said -- yeah, I'm going to miss burning 5gph. :D
dave
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Congrats on the new bird!

They really are marvelous traveling machines!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:Congrats on the new bird!

They really are marvelous traveling machines!
Have you ever regretted letting yours go?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Kudos - great looking airplane - enjoy being able to meet your new mission in style and comfort.

Safe travels/
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wm.Ince wrote: Have you ever regretted letting yours go?
Not really. But not the plane’s fault, so much as a change in my priorities, mission profile and, yes, financial situation.

There are downsides to Cirrus ownership, but this is not the place to outline them, and I think dstclair went in with open eyes and realistic expectations. For anyone even remotely considering Cirrusg ownership, $65 for a COPA membership and drinking from the firehose that is the COPA forum, is highly, highly recommended.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Great looking bird! Congratulations!
Ed
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Warmi wrote:
So , hmm.. gallon for gallon your old Sting was actually more efficient after all ... about 110 KTAS at 5.5gph :D

Of course, savings in time and comfort provided by the Cirrus cannot be so easily quantified ..
That's predictable. Force required to overcome wind resistance goes up by the square of the speed, IIRC, so it requires a lot more power to get to 170KTAS than 110KTAS. You can't make more power without burning more fuel. The Cirrus also carries more "stuff" for that 11gph.

This trade was not about efficiency, but about traveling speed, comfort, and carrying capacity.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

To us light sport guys this is a to-die-for airplane.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

CharlieTango wrote:To us light sport guys this is a to-die-for airplane.
Have you all seen this???

https://www.flyingmag.com/cirrus-michel ... ition-sr22

"$1.1 million price tag includes dining experience at Michelin-rated restaurant."

Sheesh!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Yeah -- the 3-star Michelin dinner almost convinced me to go for the $1.1M Turbo SR-22 versus the 15 year old NA SR-22 I went with... :wink:
dave
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I almost got a nosebleed!

For a historical perspective, in 2003 a well-optioned SR22 was $369k IIRC. My factory demo with about 150 hours was $330k.

Of course, in a similar timespan I've watch Light Sport prices roughly double as well.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]