New member from Hawaii

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

SportPilot

Re: New member from Hawaii

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Just tell the CFI that until they test for the sport pilot that they are a student pilot. With a few exceptions there is no difference between a sport pilot student and a private pilot student. The thing is some instructors don't realize that the training is basically the same. The instructor should be familiar with the regulations for a student pilot.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom, unless the instructor knows (or the student educates him or her about) the SP requirements, this could result in the student receiving more than the required training and experience (e.g, the longer solo XC). This is not in inself a bad thing, but could increase costs. Thus, the student should be prepared to steer the instructor toward the relevant FAR. Otherwise, the student can end up not only with unecessary training, but also improper logbook endorsements. Fact is, the SP rules are not being covered at many FIRCs. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Tom, unless the instructor knows (or the student educates him or her about) the SP requirements, this could result in the student receiving more than the required training and experience (e.g, the longer solo XC). This is not in inself a bad thing, but could increase costs. Thus, the student should be prepared to steer the instructor toward the relevant FAR. Otherwise, the student can end up not only with unecessary training, but also improper logbook endorsements. Fact is, the SP rules are not being covered at many FIRCs. :(
I guess my point didn't come across as intended. Most instructors seem to think teaching sport pilot is something completely new and they want no part of it, when in reality it is the same thing they have been teaching all along. While the requirements are different between sport and private, what is required to be taught to a student prior to solo is the same.

The FIRC that I went to last year had a segment on sport pilot. The presenter wasn't up to date. He missed all the changes to the regulations in 2010. I let him know after the presentation that things had changed since he had developed the presentation.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Glad you set him straight, Tom.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

He said he would also have to talk with the examiner they use, because he still listed sets on the temporary certificates.
jason22

Post by jason22 »

Looks like Oahu is not the place for light sport. A lot of LSA pilots are either leaving island or sold their aircraft to non-CFIs. I'll have to figure something else out. I might just take private pilot lessons and then perform my solo flights and check ride somewhere on the mainland. Anyone on mainland have a contact that will do this?
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think your plan is a winner. I offer sport pilot training in a Flight Design CTLS, but if I were you I would try and find someone with a Cub or Champ to finish the sport pilot training in. With the exception of a speed endorsement you could then fly any light sport airplane. The speed endorsement would be real easy to take care of when you check out in a plane that is in either the higher or lower speed group.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I agree with Tom. Although I'd be delighted to finish you up in my SportStar, I'm especially fond of the Aeronca 7AC Champ (the plane I started in, 54 years ago).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason22

Post by jason22 »

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I have been studying the Jeppesen private pilot books and a few other sport pilot books. Is there any other materials to study for the written exam that you would recommend?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SportPilot wrote:It doesn't really matter what airplanes you use. You might find a C152 or C172 on the island in which to do your training. If so, it would be a pretty easy transition to a C162 LSA to finish up your Sport Pilot training and take the check ride. I wouldn't worry too much about that part now. Concentrate on finding a flight school or airplane and instructor to do your "on the island" training. Also, study, get some ground school, etc. and pass the Sport Pilot written.
I thought that was basically his plan. That is why I said it sounded like a winner. The reason I suggested finishing in a conventional gear aircraft is because it opens up more options for him when he returns home. I figure that conventional gear light sport aircraft outnumber tricycle gear light sport aircraft on the islands.
drseti

Post by drseti »

My students use the Gleim online test prep software. Gives practice questions grouped by subject matter, as well as randomized practice tests in either CATS or Lasergrade format (be sure to find out which your local testing center uses, so you can practice with the right look and feel). The Gleim Sport Pilot prep includes questions on the SP rules and limitations (which the Private pilot study material does not).

When you schedule your written, make absolutely sure your instructor's endorsement specifies Sport Pilot Airplane, and be certain to tell the testing center that is the test you need to take (the PP one will not count for the SP rating!) Also, when you take your checkride, you will need to have taken ground instruction reviewing any subject areas In which you missed questions (and a logbook endorsement to that effect). That instruction and endorsement will have to be from an instructor familiar with the SP requirements.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US