Without visual reference to the surface

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Re: Without visual reference to the surface

Post by dstclair »

interpret it that I am OK flying with Sport Pilot privileges without a medical as long as I have 3 miles visibility and I can see the ground at all times.
Assuming a single layer, how does a broken layer prevent you from seeing the ground at all times if you're flying 1K minimum above?
dave
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

FlyingForFun wrote: I would stay below any broken ceiling. YRMV.
Just to be pedantic, the only "ceiling" is underneath an overcast layer.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Either way, I suppose that's why the FAA didn't specify a cloud cover category and used a vague phrase. Maybe they're leaving it up to the pilot's judgement. Or waiting until a judge has an opportunity to rule on it.
- Bruce
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

FlyingForFun wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
FlyingForFun wrote: I would stay below any broken ceiling. YRMV.
Just to be pedantic, the only "ceiling" is underneath an overcast layer.
I'm pretty sure a broken layer constitutes a ceiling. I will check.

"Ceiling
The height above the earth's surface of the lowest layer that is reported as broken or overcast; or, if the sky is totally obscured, the vertical visibility shall be the ceiling."
Thank you. I had my BFR two days ago and the instructor said overcast only when this came up. I assumed he was correct.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

FlyingForFun wrote:
Merlinspop wrote:... I think it's just a poorly written rule...
How about 2,000' AGL for an exception to the 10,000' limitation? What does this limitation mean? I've heard many conflicting answers.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jim Stewart wrote:Just to be pedantic, the only "ceiling" is underneath an overcast layer.
Actually, broken or overcast.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

FlyingForFun wrote:When we're flying around most of the USA, we can't fly above 10,000 MSL. If we're flying over a 11,000 MSL mountain, we can fly up to 13,000 MSL. Of course then you get into all the requirements for oxygen which I have forgotten.
When can you climb to 13,000 and when do you have to descend? You generally cannot climb or descend at the same angle as the terrain, so what does the limitation mean? Can you climb to 13,000' prior to reaching the 11,000' terrain?
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

FlyingForFun wrote:I don't know, but usually good judgment should prevail. I think you should be able to calculate your rate of climb at that altitude and arrive at the higher altitude at a reasonable time and distance before you got there. The descent would probably be easier to manage. I wouldn't try getting to altitude 50 nm and 30 minutes before you need to. On the other hand, you shouldn't have to make climbing 360's 5nm away getting to altitude. I would probably always use flight following flying out there.

I've never flown in that situation, but one thing you might consider is calling ATC and advising them you are going to begin your climb above 10,000 MSL to X altitude to clear the mountains ahead. I would always use flight following flying out there.
You can't get ATC unless you climb to 13,000' 1st. Wouldn't advising ATC that you are busting you altitude limitation be a good way to seek enforcement?

When I need to go above 10,000 in a flight it happens more than once, should I have to climb then descend and climb and descend and climb ...etc?