Hi, from Ocean Shores, WA

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

duanebartel

Hi, from Ocean Shores, WA

Post by duanebartel »

I am Duane B. I am a PP with an A&P rating. Own a Bearhawk. Love it! Restoring a Cessna 150, Piper Colt and have a Thorp T211 Light Sport with a blown (kaput, not turbo'ed!) engine. The Thorp is for sale. See Barnstormers. Does anyone know if there is a type-club for the Thorpedos? If I don't sell the Thorp, I am debating whether it would be better to put a Gen 4 Jabiru in it or switch over to a Continental O-200. I understand that, prior to Indus building the Light Sport Thorpedo, someone was building a Part 23 certified Thorpedo with the O-200 in it. I know that if I change engines, the aircraft becomes experimental, which I don't see as a problem. Does anyone know of someone switching from Jab to O-200? I would sure like to talk to someone who has. I have picked the brains of some pilots who have flown behind Jabirus, with wide-ranging opinions. Lots of exciting dead stick landing stories. Others love them. I fly from a Pacific beach strip and 90% of the time, there is no place to put it down if the engine fails in the first 5 minutes after take off. That is why I lean toward the Continental. But I have heard the Jab Gen 4 solves its earlier problems. It definitely would be MUCH easier to install. Opinions and advice deeply appreciated.
Also, does anyone know, if I was to put in a Jab Gen 4 replacing the Jab Gen 1 presently in it (it threw a connecting rod at cruise power), does the model change mean it loses it's Light Sport certification? I don't think Jab makes the Gen 1 anymore. If I have no choice but have to put a Gen 1 into it, I will definitely sell it. I need a bullet-proof safe engine for the strip I fly out of.
Want to build a LS Panther.
3Dreaming

Re: Hi, from Ocean Shores, WA

Post by 3Dreaming »

On the Thorpedo, technically any change from the original configuration requires that the manufacture record the change and confirm compliance with ASTM standards. If there is no one maintaining ASTM compliance for the brand, then going experimental is your only choice.
This brings up other issues though. It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, but the airplane needs to be airworthy, in the original as delivered or factory approved modified condition with a current condition inspection to do the conversion. I would talk to your local FSDO or DAR to verify what needs to be done in your situation.

If Jabiru states that the generation 4 engine is a direct replacement for the Gen 1 engine you might be okay with the swap, and not consider it a change to the airplane.
Sundancer

Re: Hi, from Ocean Shores, WA

Post by Sundancer »

Did you ever find out about a type club or group?