KCNO is My Neighbor

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

Av8orCree

KCNO is My Neighbor

Post by Av8orCree »

Hi Sport Pilot Talkers,

My name is Chris. I live in Chino, CA, approximately 3.5 miles north of Chino Airport (KCNO). I hold a PPL with about 110 hours, but haven't flown in a long while because I lost my medical a bunch of years ago; Aviation still runs in my blood though. When I learned about the Sport Pilot Cert, I dismissed it thinking it would only be allowed in rural areas, nowhere in the congested airspace here in SoCal. I recently met a photographer who is a sport pilot flying a SportCub S2 out of Cable Airport (KCCB) in Upland, CA, - he showed me the way to the light! So I'm here to learn more.

Thanks for the add,
- Chris
PPL 110 hours / PA28-140, -151, -180
(1 hour 'SIC' in a P-51D Mustang)
Wm.Ince

Re: KCNO is My Neighbor

Post by Wm.Ince »

Welcome aboard, Chris!
You are in a good place. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Hi Chris, and welcome. I flew my LSA out of Oakland (KOAK), a Class C airport inside the SFO Class B veil for years before moving to Santa Rosa. I had a special issuance 3rd class medical, but let it lapse in 2006 because the renewal requirements were an expensive hassle. I began flying LSAs exercising the privileges of a sport pilot using my valid driver license in lieu of a medical, and when BasicMed came along in 2017 I took the online self-assessment course and my primary care physician gave me the CMEC physical so I can now fly bigger airplanes. If I want to carry more than one passenger I rent a C172, C182, or PA-28 from the local FBO, but for 95% of my flying the Zodiac is perfect. I occasionally fly it into Brackett to visit my niece and her family in Pomona.

You've come to the right place.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

Av8orCree wrote:I lost my medical a bunch of years ago
Welcome aboard!

The above comment jumped out at me. Whether exercising Sport Pilot privileges is an option for you will depend on what you mean by “lost my medical”.

If you simply let it lapse, you’re good-to-go.
If the medical was denied, suspended, revoked, or withdrawn, that’s a no-go.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... response3/
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

HornedFrogGrant wrote:
Av8orCree wrote:I lost my medical a bunch of years ago
Welcome aboard!

The above comment jumped out at me. Whether exercising Sport Pilot privileges is an option for you will depend on what you mean by “lost my medical”.

If you simply let it lapse, you’re good-to-go.
If the medical was denied, suspended, revoked, or withdrawn, that’s a no-go.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... response3/
True, Grant, unless he now applies for and obtains a one-time 3rd class special issuance. Then his most recent medical wasn't denied, suspended, revoked, or withdrawn, and he's good-to-go.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Av8orCree

Post by Av8orCree »

Hi Grant,

I let it lapse. But I have since developed medical issues which would require special issuance. I Just haven't started jumping through the hoops to get the process started. Maybe I'll just make friends with someone who'll let me fly SIC.
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

Av8orCree wrote:Hi Grant,

I let it lapse. But I have since developed medical issues which would require special issuance. I Just haven't started jumping through the hoops to get the process started. Maybe I'll just make friends with someone who'll let me fly SIC.
Good deal! Smart move on just letting it lapse.

Before going down the Special Issuance rabbit-hole, get some time flying under Sport Pilot rules, and see how you like it. Unless you absolutely need to fly something bigger/faster than LSAs allow and/or at night, you’ll probably find that you’re perfectly happy as a Private Pilot exercising Sport Pilot privileges.
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
Av8orCree

Post by Av8orCree »

Advice like that is exactly why I am here. I'm not looking for heavier equipment or night flights, just want to buzz around the area when I get the bug. Thank you.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Chris, as a Private Pilot with a lapsed medical, you are free to exercise Sport Pilot privileges in any LSA, as long as you have a current Flight Review. No special training required, just carry your current, state-issued drivers license in lieu of an FAA medical certificate.

That said, you should familiarize yourself with LSA rules, and become comfortable with the handling characteristics of LSAs (they're probably different from whatever you've flown before). Here's a free webinar that will help you in the transition:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/stepping_up.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US