Hello from Hampton Roads, VA

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

AviatorCrafty

Hello from Hampton Roads, VA

Post by AviatorCrafty »

I've already made a few posts on this forum, but figured I'd still give a proper introduction. A bit about me, I started training for my sport pilot certificate in July 2019 and received my certificate a few months later in November. At 19 years old I was a one of the younger students at my flight school at KCPK which had two Cessna 162s at the beginning of my training. My flight training was a bit of a roller coaster, everything started out great and was great up until it came time for me to solo, so the Cessna 162s that I used were up for sale during my training and at one point both had suddenly gotten buyers, so I was presumed stuck, but luckily only one got sold and the other was still there for me. So I soloed at 15 hours and began my cross country phase of training. Again, plane got another buyer so I was heartbroken a bit, but luck turned out to be in my favor and the sale fell through again so I was able to finish my training and checkride prep, and then after a reschedule, my checkride with 38.5 hours in my logbook after it was all said and done. Sadly my luck ran out as right after my examiner printed my temporary certificate and gave the customary handshake, my instructor pulled me aside and said that the plane had another buyer and was going away two days later and no "just kidding its back" since then so it's officially gone, but oh well, I had my certificate. So since then I've moved to another flight school which has six or so Tecnam P92s in their fleet. It's an hour and fifteen minute drive from my house so a bit of a pain, but after two flights in them I have to say I've become quite fond of them, maybe I like them a little better than what I trained in. My goals so far are to get my AGI certificate so I've started studying for that, and once I hit 150 hours I'll get my CFI-S certificate to train future sport pilots. Looking forward to posting on this forum and getting to know everyone in the sport pilot community!
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
Scooper

Re: Hello from Hampton Roads, VA

Post by Scooper »

Thanks for the formal introduction, and welcome to sportpilottalk. Congratulations on getting your certificate in spite of having the Skycatchers sold out from under you, and good luck in working toward your AGI and CFI-S ratings. Apparently, Sport Pilot CFIs are in demand.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Scooper wrote:Thanks for the formal introduction, and welcome to sportpilottalk. Congratulations on getting your certificate in spite of having the Skycatchers sold out from under you, and good luck in working toward your AGI and CFI-S ratings. Apparently, Sport Pilot CFIs are in demand.
Thanks Scooper! Originally sport CFIs were considered useless but with the dual time now counting towards private in certain topics and LSA changes on the horizon I think they'll play a bigger role since normal CFIs are being swallowed up by airlines and such, and with bigger planes sport aviation will open up to more people.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
drseti

Post by drseti »

Hardly useless, Crafty. Get that Subpart K CFI certificate, and then if you want some part-time work in your retirement (and don't mind the commute to Lock Haven), I'll hire you!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US