New from Glidden Wi

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

doug rooney1968

New from Glidden Wi

Post by doug rooney1968 »

Hi all, time to take up flying again after 33 years. Have had a Private Certificate since 1977 and thanks to the Sport Pilot deal I don't have to mess with a medical. Just needing some lessons which I start tomorrow weather permitting. (rained out today). I became bored with it back then when I found out an ATP just wasn't going to work out. Have a deposit down on a 46 Taylorcraft BC12D down near KC Mo. It's a tail dragger which has me somewhat concerned but hopefully I can find someone to practice with before I make the purchase after memorial Day. Great to be aboard!
SportPilot

Re: New from Glidden Wi

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Doug, welcome to the forum. I have flight time in Cubs and Champs, but in my opinion the Taylorcraft is the nicest flying airplane from that era. You will like how the airplane flies. I have about 1000 hours Taylorcraft time, so if you have any flying questions fire away.
If you need help with the tailwheel time look up the folks at Hartford WI, and they should be able to help you out. They know the old tailwheel airplanes.
I also have a fair bit of mechanicl experience with Taylorcraft too if you have any questions in that respect.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Also I should mention that there is a Taylocraft forum that is a wealth of information.
http://vb.taylorcraft.org/forum.php
doug rooney1968

thanks for all the info guys! Most informative. I have been on so many flying forums that I didn't realize I was ALREADY a member of this one! LOL! Yeah, I'm ok....Suuure! Wondered why it wouldn't accept my forum name of just Doug Rooney. Kept telling me it was taken! Yes, by ME. Embarrassing if anyone else caught that?? Anyway, did not realize an endorsement was REQUIRED for tail wheel so that's good to know. I will have to take the wings off and trailer it home. Anyone know how big of a trailer I will need???
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doug rooney1968

SportPilot wrote:Maybe you could find someone to go with you and fly it home.

Yeah, just heard from my CFI and we are weathered in again today. Going for tomorrow morning. I think I'll ask him what he would charge to go down and train me or find someone local down there. Probably wouldn't be anymore expensive than renting a huge trailer.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I see you started flying in 1977. If you had any tailwheel PIC before April 15, 1991 you don't need an endorsement. That being said with your layoff from flying especially if you didn't have much tailwheel time I would recommend getting comfortable with an instructor in the tailwheel airplane before flying by yourself.
Also if you haven't purchased the airplane yet have someone who is familiar with Taylorcrafts do a pre buy inspection before you plop the money down. There are lots of things that can be a problem that someone who is not familiar with the airplane might not notice. Earlier this year I went with a friend to look at one and we walked away forfeiting some of the deposit because the airplane wasn't airworthy, and the owner who was the IA who had been doing the annuals didn't have a clue. The sad thing is after they were told there was a problem the airplane was back on the market for sale with the item not corrected.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

In my experience most insurance companies will ask for between 5 and 10 hours, and it might be 5 instruction and 5 solo before carrying passengers in a airplane like the Taylorcraft. That is for someone who is already a private pilot with no tailwheel time. They might ask for 20 hours for a student pilot.
doug rooney1968

I wish I had a pic of me with a taildragger but don't. Sent my CFI a text but no reply yet. Gee, I sure would hate to have to take the wings off and all the hassle of getting it in or on a trailer. I know of no one here in the boonies who even flies, let alone someone with tail experience. I sure hope my CFI can go along to check it out for me. He has multi engine, instrument, seaplane ratings and has been flying over 30 years. My bet is that he has flown these things. Will let ya know.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

PIC = pilot in command. If you had any tailwheel PIC before 04/15/1991 you don't need an endorsement. Like I said earlier even if you don't need an endorsement I would still get a thorough check out in the new airplane from someone who is familiar with the Taylorcraft. Taking the wings off for transport is not a big deal if you know what you are doing, but I would explore all other options before doing that.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

These guys are in Wisconsin and know tailwheel airplanes. If you are anywhere close I would look them up.

http://www.cubair.net/
doug rooney1968

PIC...Yup, I feel dumb now. Gotcha but have never flown one. The link is from hartland Wi....About 250 miles south of me. I've registered with the Taylorcraft website so should get excellent info there. Thanks