Hello from Tucson, AZ

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

cimmaronjim

Hello from Tucson, AZ

Post by cimmaronjim »

I have just made up my mind to go for a sport pilot license. I have a lot of things to do before beginning. I am at least 40 lbs over weight, so this my be just the incentive I need to work on that, otherwise I may play hell trying to find any CFI with an LSA that has the load capability for my fat azz.

I also need to get my finances in order and convince the wife I'm not going to get myself killed or at least that the life insurance premiums are up to date.

I only know of one sport instructor around here and he is in a neighboring town and trains in an Ercoupe. I don't really want to drive 50 miles and I'm thinking I want to train with rudder pedals since they are the norm rather than the exception, but I am at least 6 months away, so maybe some other CFI's will step up and offer training in my area before I am ready to start.
drseti

Re: Hello from Tucson, AZ

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Jim. You are about to embark on a grand adventure, and we're all here to help. There's a lot in the forum archives about finding an instructor and aircraft. Search the threads under Training. Good luck!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Don't know where you are in Tuscon but there's SP training in a CTLS in Bisbee. Copper City Aviation.
dave
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Thanks guys.
dstclair wrote:Don't know where you are in Tuscon but there's SP training in a CTLS in Bisbee. Copper City Aviation.
Yeah Bisbee remains an option, if I don't find anyone local.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Even if you find a Tucson program, you should take at least some instruction from Eric in Bisbee. Few have as much time training in the CTsw and CTLS. He's a slight guy with a good payload aircraft, so there should be plenty of capacity for you too. And he's a great guy, too!
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Thanks Tim, that's a good recommendation.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

I trained with the guys in San Manuel and would recommend them. Might be worth a call, I know when I was there they were considering adding a rudder kit to one of the Ercoupes and also talked about using a C150.
drseti

Post by drseti »

One of my graduates bought an Ercoupe 415c, flew it with me, and got additional training at San Manuel. He had nothing but good things to say about their operation.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Thanks guys it's good to know I have some good recommendations, that sound like they are worth the hours drive.
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

Wow, only took 2+ years but I'm back on board and have started. Found a great dude in Marana AZ and have begun lessons flying a Eurofox.

Woohooo!!!
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

cimmaronjim wrote:Wow, only took 2+ years but I'm back on board and have started. Found a great dude in Marana AZ and have begun lessons flying a Eurofox.
Woohooo!!!
Welcome back! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
chavycha

Post by chavycha »

Congrats and enjoy your learning!

I think you'll be glad you are training on a plane with standard rudder configuration. Your transition to other LSAs or standard category airplanes will be much easier. The guys I've flown with who have trained in Ercoupes are super-sloppy with their rudder inputs. Same goes for those who have learned in Cherokees (you can fly those with basically no rudder if you want). :mrgreen:
Scott K. :: A bunch of silly letters
Disclaimer :: Listen to me at your own risk. These are just my opinions...
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

cimmaronjim wrote:Wow, only took 2+ years but I'm back on board and have started. Found a great dude in Marana AZ and have begun lessons flying a Eurofox.

Woohooo!!!
Nosewheel or taildragger Eurofox? They are nice airplanes. Congrats on starting your training!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
cimmaronjim

Post by cimmaronjim »

MrMorden wrote:

Woohooo!!!
Nosewheel or taildragger Eurofox? They are nice airplanes. Congrats on starting your training!
It's the Aerotrek A240 nosewheel. They sure are nice one's.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Never flown the A240, but I fly an A220 (taildragger version) from time to time, and they're great!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US