Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

GreenSky
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby GreenSky » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Merlinspop wrote:
GreenSky wrote:Thank you all for this almost interesting discussion.

Since nobody else bothered, "Hey Green Sky. Congratulations on passing your checkride and buying the 172."


Rick

Indeed! Our bad. There's been slight disharmony lately. Congrats on both fronts! Most of my time is in Pipers but I was in a club with a couple of older Continental powered 172s. They weren't the prettiest or fastest airplanes, but, oh, how those little engines purred.


My 172 has the Lycoming 320, 160hp. And Dorothy flies just beautifully. Now if she just had a glass cockpit.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
Owner, 1977 Cessna 172N, N734BF
http://www.privatepilotlife.com

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6483
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby drseti » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Merlinspop wrote: I was in a club with a couple of older Continental powered 172s. They weren't the prettiest or fastest airplanes, but, oh, how those little engines purred.


I used to instruct in one of those, Bruce. It was a 172H, O300-powered. Probably one of the slowest, and smoothest, Skyhawks ever!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

MovingOn
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby MovingOn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 pm

.......
Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wm.Ince
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby Wm.Ince » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:03 pm

GreenSky wrote:. . . "My 172 has the Lycoming 320, 160hp. And Dorothy flies just beautifully. Now if she just had a glass cockpit." . . .
Congratulations Rick. Enjoy your new toy. C-172 is a great airplane that has helped thousands of pilots learned to fly. Probably the most popular general aviation training airplane in history.
Until you get that dream glass panel, there are plenty of options with the iPad.
I use WingX Pro 7, version 8, along with an external, wireless (Bluetooth) , GPS antenna, the Dual XGPS150. You can download and use WingX Pro free for 30 days to try it out.
I ferried my airplane across the United States using that combination and it worked like a charm. I had a couple of backups, but the iPad became primary. Easy to use and very reliable. . . . . 8)

GreenSky
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby GreenSky » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Wm.Ince wrote:
GreenSky wrote:. . . "My 172 has the Lycoming 320, 160hp. And Dorothy flies just beautifully. Now if she just had a glass cockpit." . . .
Congratulations Rick. Enjoy your new toy. C-172 is a great airplane that has helped thousands of pilots learned to fly. Probably the most popular general aviation training airplane in history.
Until you get that dream glass panel, there are plenty of options with the iPad.
I use WingX Pro 7, version 8, along with an external, wireless (Bluetooth) , GPS antenna, the Dual XGPS150. You can download and use WingX Pro free for 30 days to try it out.
I ferried my airplane across the United States using that combination and it worked like a charm. I had a couple of backups, but the iPad became primary. Easy to use and very reliable. . . . . 8)


I use foreFlight along with a stratus for weather/traffic. We brought it from Flint, MI to Van Nuys. And that combination worked just fine. Avionics were a bit buggy but got that sorted out when we got home.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
Owner, 1977 Cessna 172N, N734BF
http://www.privatepilotlife.com

3Dreaming
Posts: 2707
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby 3Dreaming » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:40 pm

MovingOn wrote:Bottom line, I guess, is a student pilot is a student pilot. He can take lessons in an LSA, 4-place, twin, etc. To solo an LSA, he needs no medical. To solo anything else (not talking gliders, balloons, or ultralights, etc.), he needs a medical. Also, a Sport Pilot could go get a medical and start taking lessons and solo a 4-place, twin, etc. He is under supervision of a CFI and limited to student pilot privileges until he gets a Private, when flying other than LSA.

It's not the kind of aircraft that you are flying that determines if you need a medical, it is what you are doing. Only persons exercising sport pilot privileges, or student pilots seeking sport pilot privileges can use a drivers' license instead of a medical in a LSA. A student pilot seeking private pilot privileges in a LSA does need a medical to exercise the privileges of their student pilot certificate.

Oh and congrats on the new certificate and airplane.

MovingOn
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby MovingOn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:50 pm

.......
Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2707
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby 3Dreaming » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 pm

MovingOn wrote:I think that's what I said. To fly a non-LSA, you need a medical. You're either a Private or a student trying to become a Private, or a Sport Pilot trying to become a Private or a Commercial or ATP. All need a medical to solo a non-LSA.

Yes all need a medical to solo a non -LSA, but that is not what I said.
You said a student pilot does not need a medical to solo a LSA, but he does if he is seeking private pilot privileges. That's why I said it's not what you are flying, but what you are doing that determines if you need a medical.

MovingOn
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby MovingOn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:22 pm

.......
Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Dreaming
Posts: 2707
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby 3Dreaming » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:52 pm

MovingOn wrote:No I didn't. I said a Student needs a medical to solo other than an LSA. Good grief.

I'm sorry, I'm on the tablet, and can't highlight where you said it in your post. Please read the first 3 sentences of your post I quoted 5 post above this one.

MovingOn
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby MovingOn » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:55 pm

.......
Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wm.Ince
Posts: 921
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:27 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby Wm.Ince » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:39 pm

GreenSky wrote:. . . "I use foreFlight along with a stratus for weather/traffic. We brought it from Flint, MI to Van Nuys. And that combination worked just fine. Avionics were a bit buggy but got that sorted out when we got home." . . .
Beautiful. . . . :)

3Dreaming
Posts: 2707
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby 3Dreaming » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 am

MovingOn wrote:
MovingOn wrote:Bottom line, I guess, is a student pilot is a student pilot. He can take lessons in an LSA, 4-place, twin, etc. To solo an LSA, he needs no medical. To solo anything else (not talking gliders, balloons, or ultralights, etc.), he needs a medical. Also, a Sport Pilot could go get a medical and start taking lessons and solo a 4-place, twin, etc. He is under supervision of a CFI and limited to student pilot privileges until he gets a Private, when flying other than LSA.
I said this. And this is correct. A student does not need a medical to solo an LSA, but does need a medical to solo a C172, for instance.


I am trying to tell you that that is not correct. Here are a few highlights from CFR61.23
(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate— (iii) When exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate.
The only time a student may use a drivers' license is:(i) Exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking sport pilot privileges in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon;
If a student pilot is seeking private pilot privileges in a LSA he needs a medical for solo flight.

MovingOn
Posts: 631
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby MovingOn » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 am

.......
Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6483
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Postby drseti » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 am

3Dreaming wrote:If a student pilot is seeking private pilot privileges in a LSA he needs a medical for solo flight.


Not if he or she is already a licensed Sport Pilot seeking to upgrade to Private, Tom. That Sport Pilot certificate already affords PIC privileges while training for the Private in an LSA. The licensed SP can do all the solo XC flying he or she desires, in an LSA, under SP rules -- including the long XC required for the PPL. (That's one of the many reasons why all of my Private Pilot candidates to date have gotten their Sport Pilot certificate along the way.)

That said, I will admit that most of my SP to PP upgrade students do get their medical certificate very early in the process.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US


Return to “Introduce Yourself!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests