Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

GreenSky

Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Post by GreenSky »

As of 1/1/12, I have about 6.5 hours in a Sport Cruiser out of KSMO. After every flight I'm pretty exhausted the rest of the day. I assume it gets a bit less stressful.

Unfortunately, there is only one place at the facility so it's been hard to schedule enough time. I have to reserve the plane weeks in advance. In addition, driving from my home to Santa Monica (anyone familiar with the 405 will understand) is a collossal PITA.

So, on Tuesday I have an into flight in a Sky Catcher at another airport. It's still 20 miles away but there should not be any traffic to get there. Let's see if that works out. I did sit in it a few days ago and find that although there is shoulder room, there isn't a ton of leg room - and I'm only 5'10".

I can't see staying with the LSA license. If 2 of us want to fly somewhere to play golf, I think I'd be overweight including golf clubs.

Does it make sense to go for the LSA and then the general license, or just jump in and get it done all at once? Van Nuys airport is 10 minutes away and there are a number of schools that can help me with the general license but none for LSA.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
Owner, 1977 Cessna 172N, N734BF
http://www.privatepilotlife.com
comperini

Re: Newbie from So Cal - San Fernando Valley

Post by comperini »

GreenSky wrote: Does it make sense to go for the LSA and then the general license, or just jump in and get it done all at once? Van Nuys airport is 10 minutes away and there are a number of schools that can help me with the general license but none for LSA.
Sounds like you already realize that the limitations of LSAs is limiting what you want to do (carry two people, etc). In this case, I'd say just bypass Sport Pilot, and get your private certificate.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
GreenSky

Post by GreenSky »

comperini wrote:Sounds like you already realize that the limitations of LSAs is limiting what you want to do (carry two people, etc). In this case, I'd say just bypass Sport Pilot, and get your private certificate.
In the past hour I have come to that same conclusion. I can either train in a 172 ($110/hr) or a Socata Tampico ($87/hr). Knowing nothing about either plane I'll just get an intro flight in both and see if I like them and the instructor.

My guess is that the private license will realistically take another 15 hours of flying which doesn't bother me. It's an excuse to be in the air.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
comperini

Post by comperini »

GreenSky wrote: My guess is that the private license will realistically take another 15 hours of flying which doesn't bother me. It's an excuse to be in the air.
Exactly.. And you can still rent the LSA down the road, if you decide you want to still fly those planes.
- Bob
GMO

Post by GMO »

Welcome to the forum, I'm new here too and also in Socal southeast of you out in Riverside.
My situation similar with lack of LSA and CFIS close by. I too have recently decided to train in a Piper Cherokee 140 and go for PP. I Eventually plan on buying LSA and will get training in that particular aircraft when the time is right.
Good luck to you. With the advise I have received thus far, either way I don't think you can go wrong and the additional training will do you good in the long run.
Regards,
GMO
GreenSky

Post by GreenSky »

I don't really see the point of buying an LSA when you can get a good used 172 for half the price. Or simply get an interest in a faster plane.

But that's just me. I don't have enough experience to really make an informed comment. It's just a gut feeling.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
GMO

Post by GMO »

For me, I simply just want to cruise around locally and enjoy the scenery at this point. Who knows though...for now I'll have plenty of flexability if I change my mind. I'm also kind of a low and slow kind of guy...I guess what counts is your long range goals and your mission.
comperini

Post by comperini »

GreenSky wrote:I don't really see the point of buying an LSA when you can get a good used 172 for half the price. Or simply get an interest in a faster plane.
You comparing something new to something used? Also, while the 172 is a fine plane, consider the difference in ownership/operating costs.

Have you guys both looked at other schools, such as the one at Hemet, Redlands, Cable airport, Torrance, or the school at John Wayne? Yeah, I know.. they all require a bit of a drive
- Bob
GreenSky

Post by GreenSky »

I'm not even considering buying a plane. Let me get my pilot's license first and see. I can rent a plane for $130/hr and not worry about fuel, maintenance, etc.

I live 3 miles from Van Nuys Airport. Only makes sense for me to take lessons there and avoid a long drive.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
comperini

Post by comperini »

GreenSky wrote:I live 3 miles from Van Nuys Airport. Only makes sense for me to take lessons there and avoid a long drive.
Agreed! The savings in time/gas alone makes it worth it. I think it will be a long time, before we see rental SLSAs at every FBO. In a few cases, I've heard of FBOs that wont even rent an LSA to a person without a medical (they claim its an insurance requirement).
- Bob
GMO

Post by GMO »

For me, I made the decision I did because the Piper 140 is available to me locally at Corona through a friend. I'm not against driving and making an effort, but most of the places you mention are 30 plus miles from me and unless you have ever had to get some place on time in LA/Inland empire traffic, it's an effort in futility unless you plan on leaving 2 hours early just in case. I do this enough with my commute to work alone and don't want to worry about being late on my CFI. Also I too want to have a relationship with the folks where I will spend most of my time and hopefully LSA will eventually come to Riverside/Corona.
The reasons you mention regarding ownership costs are absolutely correct and as my plan is to own an airplane soon...I would like to go with a LSA.
comperini

Post by comperini »

GMO wrote:...hopefully LSA will eventually come to Riverside/Corona.
At one time, there was training at Corona, but they closed, or moved to Riverside, then Cable, or something like that. :(

Now, if you already owned a plane and get trained in it, you'd be in good shape, but I understand that's not always possible
- Bob
GMO

Post by GMO »

I like Corona airport and I pass it everyday - makes it real convenient to fly out of there. Owning a LSA now sure would make things a lot easier and my plan is to own one over the next year. I started a new topic over on Light Sport Aircraft regarding the Aerotrek and the Kitfox Super Sport SLSA's. Wondering what people think of the two.

I don't want to hijack Rick's thread here.

Good Luck again Rick, let us know how it's going.
GreenSky

Post by GreenSky »

I have a discovery flight in a 172 set for Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

I think in the long run I'll be happier with a pilots certificate. Now if I can just pass the color test with my red/green deficiency.

Rick
Richard S Bronstein
LeafAngel

Post by LeafAngel »

Rick, I passed my SP check ride this past August. Keeping in mind I fly recreationally, and there's a local flight school with an LSA, it took me right at a year to get there, and a SPL was my original goal. I have since decided to continue my training to the PPL level. The usual things were involved in this decision, faster AC, more useful load. I also missed chasing the goal of certification.

In hind sight, I'm glad I paused at the SP level. At the end of my SP training I was really feeling the "Am I ever gonna get there blues". I think if I were still working towards my PPL without having my SP certificate I would not be as happy as I am. Having my SPL means that while I'm still training for the PPL, if I want to take a buddy and fly to breakfast at a local airport café, I can. If I want to take a solo sight seeing flight, I can. If I were still a student pilot working towards my PPL, I couldn’t do those things and the “Am I ever gonna get there blues” would simply be worse by now.

Granted, it is a few extra dollars to go the route I chose. You have an extra knowledge test to take, and the cost of a second check ride. However, in my opinion, unless you have relatively specific career goals in aviation, pausing to get your SPL is the way to go.