Hi from San Jose, California

Pilot? Student pilot? Future pilot? Interested in learning to fly? If you're reading this forum, you've got flying in your blood! SportPilotTalk is a great place to ask questions about this exciting new segment of (more) affordable aviation!

Moderator: drseti

krish

Hi from San Jose, California

Post by krish »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie seriously thinking about getting a SPL or PPL. I've been on discovery flights several times over the past several years :)

I'm a avid model airplane hobbyist. I build an fly model airplanes, mostly electric. My fastest flying wing was clocked at 168 mph. I also know the principles of flight, aerodynamics, jargons etc because the model airplanes fly pretty much like regular airplanes (except I have more than 1:1 thrust to weight ratio in my planes). I guess my love towards flying machines is now progressing into flyling real airplanes.

I'm currently attending ground school at Tradewind Aviation in Reid-hillview (KRHV) airport. I also purchased the training kit (videos and stuff) from sporty's to get a better hang on what's in store for me as a pilot.

I'm looking to get trained with a CTLS, I think I saw a CTLS at KRHV but not sure whether it is available for training.

Will post more as and when I progress to the next step.

Happy flying !!!
Krish
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome aboard, Krish! I lived most of my adult life in San Jose (moved East 21 years ago, and am now semi-retired in rural central PA). Flew out of RHV for years (including training with the legendary Amelia Reid), and was one of the original members of Frazier Lake Airpark (1C9) in Hollister. Still have a hangar there, and get out a couple of times a year.

I understand that AeroDynamic (formerly Amelia's) has a couple of Evektor SportStars, same trainer I use in my flight school (and a great way to learn to fly).

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
krish

Post by krish »

Thanks Paul, It feels good to relate to someone to the place I now go for ground class.

I've seen Evektors flying in pattern at KRHV. There is also a new Zlin Cub at Aerodynamic, which is one of my fav planes.

I'll check them up close when I go next week.

Happy Flying !!
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Hi Krish, though I am based in New York at HPN I am in San Jose quite regularly and have flown twice out of RHV with TradeWinds in their Remos GX with Angela. I can certainly reccomend both the Remos and Angela based on my experience.
krish

Post by krish »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I saw her walk out of the office couple of times during my ground class but my untrained eye won't know the difference between a trainee and and a trainer :)

The Remos and CTLS appears to be in the same "class of aircraft" to my naked eye. From a distance they visually look very comparable too.

Also got word from someone that Palo Alto has a brand new Cessna 162 SkyCatcher being used for primary flight training.

I feel lucky to be in San Jose. Evektors, Remos, Zlin Cub, Skycatcher..all within short driving distance !!!

Happy flying !!
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

Krish, a word to the wise, IMHO it is more important to focus on picking the correct school and flight instructor than a specific aircraft to train in.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Krish:

"Krish, a word to the wise, IMHO it is more important to focus on picking the correct school and flight instructor than a specific aircraft to train in."

You will find this theme repeated, over and over. If you are serious about starting your flight training (are you?), doing some local research and even interviewing several different flight instructors is the best, single way you can insure not just a positive training experience but also a relatively quick progression thru the flight curriculum, assuming you do your part.

FWIW you will find a variety of helpful info on shopping for a flight instructor - and many other aspects of 'climbing the aviation ladder - at aopa.org. And membership, for you as a student, is free. 400,000+ members.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
krish

Post by krish »

Jack and C162,

1. I can look at their profiles on the FBO's website,
2. Google their names for any comments from others,
3. Talk to other pilots (and everyone have their favorites so this step is not very useful).
4. May be I can take one or two lessons from them to feel the chemistry ($$$ if I keep on looking).

What else one can do?
rfane

Post by rfane »

Hi Krish,

Welcome to the forum, and to flying.

There are no CTLS's at all at RHV. There is only 1 CTLS registered in California, and it's in Los Angeles. There are 3 or 4 CTSW's at RHV, but all privately owned and not being rented out.

Aerodynamic Aviation has been mentioned here already, and I would recommend them to you also. I would also like to recommend Jim Grant as a CFI there. Jim has a real passion for teaching, and has a lot of hours in the Evektor's and the Zlin. I fly with him on occasion, and my partners have both been trained by Jim with excellent results.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
krish

Post by krish »

BTW, I'm aiming for PPL with an LSA certified for night VFR. Is Evektor certified for night VFR? I think Remos is.

To keep the overall costs down I planning to train with a LSA (relatively newer and costs lower) and then spend few hours down the road to transition to a 4 seater, if I see the need for it or to go IFR.

Evektor or Remos GX seems to be the best candidates so far, in terms of popularity, rental price and proximity to where I live.

That brings down my FBOs to two.

I'm half way thru the ground classes (Just completed airports) and so I have ample time to pick the right flight school and the instructor.

1. Any thoughts on why some new/mid-level instructors charge higher rates and some very experienced master instructors charge very reasonable or lower rates compared to others?

2. Is bay area fall/winter not a good time to start training?

Thanks
drseti

Post by drseti »

krish wrote:BTW, I'm aiming for PPL with an LSA certified for night VFR. Is Evektor certified for night VFR?
Not all are night equipped. Mine is. But even if the particular aircraft has the proper lights installed, it is not necessarily night certified, unless a particular Evektor service bulletin has been complied with. Take a look at the transparent stick-on placard on the right-hand side of the canopy. If it says "day/night VFR" you're good to go. If it says only "day VFR", the required service bulletin has not been complied with.
To keep the overall costs down I planning to train with a LSA (relatively newer and costs lower) and then spend few hours down the road to transition to a 4 seater, if I see the need for it or to go IFR.
That's basically a sound plan, But, remember that most LSAs aren't equipped with the avionics required for PPL or instrument training. The PPL PTS requires demonstrating of tracking VOR radials both toward and away from the station, for example. Most LSAs have GPS as primary navigation equipment, but no VOR receiver. (I added that capability to my SportStar, installing an SL-30, CDI, and Comant VHF dipole under a manufacturer's Letter of Authorization, specifically so I could do PPL and instrument training in it). So, check with the FBO to see if the LSAs they operate are properly equipped with VOR/Loc/GS before you commit to a particular acft.
Any thoughts on why some new/mid-level instructors charge higher rates and some very experienced master instructors charge very reasonable or lower rates compared to others?
Entry level CFIs are generally employees of the FBO, or even independent contractors, who do not set the rates. The flight school does, and only a small portion of what's charged typically goes to the instructor. Us old greybeards typically own flight school, and set our rates accordingly. We don't charge ourselves overhead! :wink:
Is bay area fall/winter not a good time to start training?

When I lived in the Bay Area, I flew (and taught) year-round. (Not so here in PA, where I only get 40 flying weeks a year!)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

[quote="drseti"]That's basically a sound plan, But, remember that most LSAs aren't equipped with the avionics required for PPL or instrument training. The PPL PTS requires demonstrating of tracking VOR radials both toward and away from the station, for example. Most LSAs have GPS as primary navigation equipment, but no VOR receiver. (I added that capability to my SportStar, installing an SL-30, CDI, and Comant VHF dipole under a manufacturer's Letter of Authorization, specifically so I could do PPL and instrument training in it). So, check with the FBO to see if the LSAs they operate are properly equipped with VOR/Loc/GS before you commit to a particular acft.[quote]

It has been a couple years since I sent a private student for a checkride, but GPS only used to be OK by the PTS. When did it change?
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:It has been a couple years since I sent a private student for a checkride, but GPS only used to be OK by the PTS. When did it change?
Can't say when, and in fact the PTS doesn't mention VOR explicitly. But Area of Operation VII (Navigation), task B.4., states "Intercepts and tracks a given course, radial or bearing, as appropriate." Since in the AIM, "radial" is defined as a line of position from a VOR, that skill seems to be implied. Or, am I misinterpreting FAA-S-8081-14A? I'd like to hear from a DPE on this, if any are lurking.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:It has been a couple years since I sent a private student for a checkride, but GPS only used to be OK by the PTS. When did it change?
Can't say when, and in fact the PTS doesn't mention VOR explicitly. But Area of Operation VII (Navigation), task B.4., states "Intercepts and tracks a given course, radial or bearing, as appropriate." Since in the AIM, "radial" is defined as a line of position from a VOR, that skill seems to be implied. Or, am I misinterpreting FAA-S-8081-14A? I'd like to hear from a DPE on this, if any are lurking.
If you look B1 the applicant must understand the VOR system, but when you look at B2 it says demonstrates the ability to use an airborne electronic navigation system. GPS meets these requirements. B4 is based off of this demonstration, and a course goes along with GPS jut like bearing goes along with a NDB. I know the DPE that I use reads it like this, but some others did not at one time.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:If you look B1 the applicant must understand the VOR system,
Agreed. And, although I suppose it's possible to "understand" the system without ever having flown it, I see no compelling reason not to keep VOR navigation in my PPL curriculum (as well as for the instrument rating, of course).
GPS meets these requirements. <snip> I know the DPE that I use reads it like this, but some others did not at one time.
I guess it's time for me to check in with my local DPE (although, since my plane is VOR equipped, I would continue to offer the instruction in any case).
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US