Flight School

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

TNsportpilot

Flight School

Post by TNsportpilot »

Hello everyone!

So I am heavily considering First Landings in Apopka FL. I am curious if anyone on the forum trained there or has any feedback regarding the accelerated program. Quick history on me is 19 hours in a 172, 3 in a 162. The flight school in TN doesn’t seem to have much of a passion for LS so First Landings was appealing.
Type47

Re: Flight School

Post by Type47 »

I got my cert at First landings 4 years ago this month.
Started in April that year wanting to do the accelerated program but ended up taking until September.
The reasons are many. I live in both Minnesota and Florida. We come and go monthly so I was there a few weeks and then in Mn a few.
I found the accelerated program to be too much for my brain to absorb too fast.
I slowed down and went at my own pace.
The school prioritizes the accelerated students so scheduling was hard at first.
I had a lot of lessons in the bumpy after lunch air.
As I progressed, I started getting better time slots.
I would absolutely recommend First Landings because they take the whole thing seriously. They train sp without the “you don’t want Sport pilot” pressure. I knew what I wanted and got it.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
TNsportpilot

Post by TNsportpilot »

Type47 wrote:I got my cert at First landings 4 years ago this month.
Started in April that year wanting to do the accelerated program but ended up taking until September.
The reasons are many. I live in both Minnesota and Florida. We come and go monthly so I was there a few weeks and then in Mn a few.
I found the accelerated program to be too much for my brain to absorb too fast.
I slowed down and went at my own pace.
The school prioritizes the accelerated students so scheduling was hard at first.
I had a lot of lessons in the bumpy after lunch air.
As I progressed, I started getting better time slots.
I would absolutely recommend First Landings because they take the whole thing seriously. They train sp without the “you don’t want Sport pilot” pressure. I knew what I wanted and got it.
Thanks for the reply!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'll throw this out there too. There is a flight school at Mt. Vernon Illinois that does sport pilot training. They have 2 brand new Aeroprakts. I think they also have an apartment to stay in if you wanted to stay for an accelerated program. They have one very capable sport pilot instructor, and recently hired another very experienced flight instructor.

https://www.mtvernonairport.com/lsa-flight-training/
TNsportpilot

Post by TNsportpilot »

3Dreaming wrote:I'll throw this out there too. There is a flight school at Mt. Vernon Illinois that does sport pilot training. They have 2 brand new Aeroprakts. I think they also have an apartment to stay in if you wanted to stay for an accelerated program. They have one very capable sport pilot instructor, and recently hired another very experienced flight instructor.

https://www.mtvernonairport.com/lsa-flight-training/
Thanks for the note! Spoke to them yesterday and great guys. They don’t have an accelerated program per se and actually very busy with existing students. They did refer me to someone they knew who went to First Landings. He gave a rave review. Thanks again!
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I also started my sport pilot flight training at First Landings, twice. :mrgreen:

I started with them in 2009 for about 8 hours and then life got in the way, the job I took had me traveling all over the country and no time to fly. I started back up in 2013 just before I bought my plane. They didn't offer the accelerated course back then, in fact they were only a light sport school with 1 plane and Adam had a partner that he went to college with also. Now they teach everything and leaseback multiple aircraft. I have nothing but good thing to say about First Landings from my experience with them. A lot has changed I'm sure since then but it was a good school then and convenient as I lived in Orlando at that time.

The accelerated course is good if you have the time to dive in head first for 2-3 weeks straight and enjoy drinking from a firehose. :mrgreen: Flying twice a day and studying in between is a lot but if your brain and body can handle it it's a quick way to "git 'er dun". Keep in mind the Florida summers and we have thunderstorms just about every day in the afternoon so weather will play a big part in scheduling as will the number of students they currently have. Any other time of the year it's great flying here 24/7. Good luck.
TNsportpilot

Post by TNsportpilot »

Thanks for info! Looking to go down oct9-23rd. Hopeful weather clears up a bit then, but also no expectations either. Yes the accelerated is more suited for me since it’s so tough to find a SP school within daily driving distance here in TN. Thankfully I’ve put around 23 hours in so far so hoping it isn’t too overwhelming for me.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Have you already completed your SP Knowledge Test? If so, be sure to review subjects missed with a local CFI (and get the required logbook endorsement) before you go down. Also, if you're planning to do your practical with their DPE, be sure to bring the original of your knowledge test results with you. A photocopy will not be accepted.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Type47

Post by Type47 »

October weather is beautiful in central florida.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
TNsportpilot

Post by TNsportpilot »

drseti wrote:Have you already completed your SP Knowledge Test? If so, be sure to review subjects missed with a local CFI (and get the required logbook endorsement) before you go down. Also, if you're planning to do your practical with their DPE, be sure to bring the original of your knowledge test results with you. A photocopy will not be accepted.
I plan on taking the test in the next couple of weeks prior to going down. Any suggestions on a good study app? Sporty’s was mentioned to me as a good one. I have the Cessna King Schools program already.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TNsportpilot wrote:Any suggestions on a good study app?
My students use the Gleim online test prep software. Lets you do a bunch of practice questions on individual subject areas, in actual computer testing center format, to determine where your weaknesses lie. Then, you can do actual 40-question practice tests consisting of a randomized mix of all subjects. When my students can do 3 practice tests in a row at 90% score or better, I endorse them for the test. I've never had a student fail the written!

OTOH, if you really want to fail yours, just view my webinar "How to Fail Your FAA Knowledge Test," online at:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/fail.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I second the Gleim course and the associated online test prep, it's awesome and really helped me. And like Paul, my instructor had me do the same, 3 consecutive practice tests with a 90% or better before he'd sign me off to go take my written. I got a 93 on the actual written exam and was happy with my results.
TNsportpilot

Post by TNsportpilot »

Quick update- I decided to go with Gleim as you guys suggested and it’s great. In comparison to the King Schools prep, it’s much more user friendly and I loved the ability to see where I needed to improve. I passed today- nothing to brag about but I’ll take the 85. I plan on working with my CFI in FL to go over what I missed on the exam.

Thanks for the help everyone!
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Congrats and good luck with the rest of your training. When your DPE says "I'm gonna make you a pilot today" it'll put a smile on your face no one will be able to scrub off for days. :mrgreen:
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations!
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator