Advanced Flight AFS5600 EFIS

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Advanced Flight AFS5600 EFIS

Post by JJ Campbell »

I've purchased a plane three states away that has an Advanced Flight AFS5600 EFIS. My primary training was with steam gauges and I have very little experience with glass cockpits. (However, the plane is the same make/model that I did my primary training in.)

I've downloaded the manual for the EFIS. It painstakingly enumerates the mind-boggling many-tiered menu options. No quick start basic guidance.

I've searched for training videos but all I find is infomercials targeted at current owners of older versions in an attempt to get them to upgrade to the newest version.

Does anyone know where there is some good basic stuff to help me get the plane home? I'd love to find an interactive simulator that I could run on my PC. I think Dynon has something like this but I've had no luck finding any learning aids for the Advanced EFIS.

If push-comes to shove, I'll have my iPad with Foreflight on it...
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
drseti

Re: Advanced Flight AFS5600 EFIS

Post by drseti »

JJ Campbell wrote:Does anyone know where there is some good basic stuff to help me get the plane home?
I'm not sure if this will help, JJ, but about three years ago I did an EAA webinar titled "Gauges to Glass - transitioning to 21st Century avionics". The video is here:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/glass.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

drseti wrote:
JJ Campbell wrote:Does anyone know where there is some good basic stuff to help me get the plane home?
I'm not sure if this will help, JJ, but about three years ago I did an EAA webinar titled "Gauges to Glass - transitioning to 21st Century avionics". The video is here:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/glass.mp4
Thank you. I did help a bit. I sent you a request for Wings validation.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
drseti

Post by drseti »

JJ Campbell wrote:I sent you a request for Wings validation.
And... you're validated!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US