First flight

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

First flight

Post by Atrosa »

So the time has come. I'm starting flight training this week. My question is I've never been in a small plane so my first lesson should be how long? 30 minutes? 1 hour? Suggestions please.
Tony
Dave C

Re: First flight

Post by Dave C »

Most of my lessons were about 1 hour. Get up there and see how it goes!
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

An hour unless something terrifies you or you get motion sick. :wink:

Just kidding. You'll love it from the moment the wheels leave the ground.
Last edited by Scooper on Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

Glad to hear that you are starting your training. Did you find a plane to use for training or did you end up buying? I have heard that Windham might be coming into one for training in March time frame.

Either way, have a great time and soak up all you can learn. BTW, my discovery flight was about 75 mins.

Jeremy
designrs

Post by designrs »

Atrosa wrote:So the time has come. I'm starting flight training this week. My question is I've never been in a small plane so my first lesson should be how long? 30 minutes? 1 hour? Suggestions please.
Tony
Alright Tony! Such a special time. Just go with the flow of the program and your instructor. CFI’s have done this many times. Enjoy!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
drseti

Post by drseti »

Glad you pulled the trigger, Tony. Before you go, you might care to watch my webinar "First Flight, No Fright." Video online at http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/firstflt.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

It will depend on you. As an instructor normal lessons are about 1 hour, but the I normally make the first lesson a little shorter. I use it to evaluate the students personal characteristics, try to get the student to relax a little bit, and develop a personalized training plan for the student.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Spoke with a AME and my 3rd class will not be an issue. So I've dedided to rent a 172 for my instruction because as ugly as I think they are it is only 6 miles from my work. I can take long lunches so that means i can train up to 5 days a week so Wx won't interupt my progress. I will still by something buy now i can train while looking for the right deal.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Atrosa wrote:Spoke with a AME and my 3rd class will not be an issue. So I've dedided to rent a 172 for my instruction because as ugly as I think they are it is only 6 miles from my work. I can take long lunches so that means i can train up to 5 days a week so Wx won't interupt my progress. I will still by something buy now i can train while looking for the right deal.
First time I've heard someone call a 172 "ugly". But yeah the first flight is a ton of fun and I remember mine very vividly, I had a lot of experience with flight simulators and actually landed un-assisted, my instructor said I'd be an easy student, 38 hours later I was a sport pilot. Good luck but most importantly have fun too!
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:It will depend on you. As an instructor normal lessons are about 1 hour, but the I normally make the first lesson a little shorter. I use it to evaluate the students personal characteristics, try to get the student to relax a little bit, and develop a personalized training plan for the student.
Excellent approach! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Total bummer. Wx was perfect, N5169E was not. There was an issue with the nose gear. It was shaking and shimmying went taxiing. Rescheduled for Monday.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

AviatorCrafty wrote:
Atrosa wrote:Spoke with a AME and my 3rd class will not be an issue. So I've dedided to rent a 172 for my instruction because as ugly as I think they are it is only 6 miles from my work. I can take long lunches so that means i can train up to 5 days a week so Wx won't interupt my progress. I will still by something buy now i can train while looking for the right deal.
First time I've heard someone call a 172 "ugly". But yeah the first flight is a ton of fun and I remember mine very vividly, I had a lot of experience with flight simulators and actually landed un-assisted, my instructor said I'd be an easy student, 38 hours later I was a sport pilot. Good luck but most importantly have fun too!

To me personally most Cessnas are pretty darn ugly - they look like boats with wings....
Ironically...Skycatcher is one of their planes I actually find attractive as far as pure looks ( of course there are other Cessnas that are quite nice looking like 310 etc but that’s another story )
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

My fav cessna is the ttx 240. Gorgeous.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Ok lets try this again. Planning on going up in N5212K at 1200 tomorrow. Winds are 270@7kt g10. Rw21 is only 2200. Cfi will have to land it. We will go practice somewhere bigger like kmmk. Wish me luck.