New Sport Pilot

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

New Sport Pilot

Post by JJ Campbell »

I got my Sport Pilot ticket today. Off to Zephyrhills as soon as possible for my gyro endorsement!
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Scooper

Re: New Sport Pilot

Post by Scooper »

Congratulations! Have fun with the gyro; they look like they'd be a real hoot to fly..
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Gyros are scary - they lack wings or rather the lift device is not very obvious :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

JJ Campbell wrote:I got my Sport Pilot ticket today. Off to Zephyrhills as soon as possible for my gyro endorsement!
Congrats on the sport pilot rating.....let me know when you make it to ZPH, that's where I keep my SportCruiser. The gyro guys there always look like they are having fun, but it's not my cup of tea. Warmi is right, those things scare me too. :mrgreen:

There's always 1........or 5 in the pattern at any given time. :shock:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
JJ Campbell wrote:I got my Sport Pilot ticket today. Off to Zephyrhills as soon as possible for my gyro endorsement!
Congrats on the sport pilot rating.....let me know when you make it to ZPH, that's where I keep my SportCruiser. The gyro guys there always look like they are having fun, but it's not my cup of tea. Warmi is right, those things scare me too. :mrgreen:

There's always 1........or 5 in the pattern at any given time. :shock:
I thought you used fly a home made chopper or something along these lines :D

We have a few gyros at our airport as well.... my wife calls them “MadMax people” ...
https://madmax.fandom.com/wiki/Gyrocopter

Btw. Congrats to JJ Campbell - gyro or not , it is fun being up there ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:I thought you used fly a home made chopper or something along these lines :D
Yes, I flew a helicopter, no a gyrocopter. Those things defy all reason. :mrgreen:
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:I thought you used fly a home made chopper or something along these lines :D
Yes, I flew a helicopter, no a gyrocopter. Those things defy all reason. :mrgreen:
Actually . . they don't really fly . . . they just beat the earth into submission. :mrgreen:
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote:Actually . . they don't really fly . . . they just beat the earth into submission. :mrgreen:
It's worse than that, Bill. They defy the laws of physics, when they apply inordinate amounts of power, and somehow manage to lift off. By rights, they should be screwing themselves into the ground!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:
Wm.Ince wrote:Actually . . they don't really fly . . . they just beat the earth into submission. :mrgreen:
It's worse than that, Bill. They defy the laws of physics, when they apply inordinate amounts of power, and somehow manage to lift off. By rights, they should be screwing themselves into the ground!
A few of them do that too. It ain'tpretty!
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator