New to aviation / LSA

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Half Fast

Re: New to aviation / LSA

Post by Half Fast »

USN_MC wrote:"What are your plans after getting your Sport Pilot Certificate? Quality Light-Sport Rentals are not easy to find. Do you plan on owning or building your own plane?"

Thank you for all the great information. I have been looking at a kit I can help with and put a stronger engine in.

We are rennovating our current house and dock on the Lake. Say goodbye to every single penny I ever saved! Seriously, I want to give up on this joker but it's so beautiful here.

Good news, we are selling our other house in April, finishing phase two of this renovation. Hopefully freeing up extra money I need for flight training.

I would like those POC's in Florida. Due to my limited options and seclusion, it may be my ONLY option. However, in saying that I don't expect to be ready to go off on my own. I will continue flying with an instructor after obtaining my certification until I feel I am ready.

I need this. This is very important to me and gives me a lot of extra freedom. I wish I could explain but I am sure everyone gets it. Outside of having a family, and serving in the military, this is something I have always dreamed of.

This whole process isn't going to be easy but like I tell my children if you want something you have to work for it. It might take me longer but eventually, I can get there :)

I recommend you contact First Landings in Apopka, FL. I did my Sport and Private tickets there. This school has trained over 20% of all Sport Pilots, more than any other school in the US.

https://www.firstlandings.com
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

USN_MC wrote:"What are your plans after getting your Sport Pilot Certificate? Quality Light-Sport Rentals are not easy to find. Do you plan on owning or building your own plane?"

Thank you for all the great information. I have been looking at a kit I can help with and put a stronger engine in.

We are rennovating our current house and dock on the Lake. Say goodbye to every single penny I ever saved! Seriously, I want to give up on this joker but it's so beautiful here.

Good news, we are selling our other house in April, finishing phase two of this renovation. Hopefully freeing up extra money I need for flight training.

I would like those POC's in Florida. Due to my limited options and seclusion, it may be my ONLY option. However, in saying that I don't expect to be ready to go off on my own. I will continue flying with an instructor after obtaining my certification until I feel I am ready.

I need this. This is very important to me and gives me a lot of extra freedom. I wish I could explain but I am sure everyone gets it. Outside of having a family, and serving in the military, this is something I have always dreamed of.

This whole process isn't going to be easy but like I tell my children if you want something you have to work for it. It might take me longer but eventually, I can get there :)

I recommend you contact First Landings in Apopka, FL. I did my Sport and Private tickets there. This school has trained over 20% of all Sport Pilots, more than any other school in the US.

https://www.firstlandings.com
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Thank you, HF,

I was just getting on to post I had talked to Brant from Sebring Flight Academy. Their course appears to be a week longer, a little more expensive but also includes housing. Both appear to be amazing!

Brant was awesome to talk with and will be accommodating and comforting to my situation.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Glad you got to talk with Brant. Their new expedited Sport Pilot Training program will get you your LSA ticket ASAP. The Bristell aircraft, low-cost student housing option, and Winter flying weather in Florida are hard to beat.

I wouldn’t worry about a week shorter or longer. Every student will set their own pace for learning. The most important thing is that you develop a solid foundation of skills and understanding for safe flying.

Realistically, you may want to consider an option for breaking your training into two segments. Some students can power through an accelerated program, while others may need a break (while still staying committed to finishing the program.)

Become a Sport Pilot in 3 weeks-housing available at:
https://sebringflightacademy.com/process

Remember, any pilot certificate is a “license to learn” especially after an expedited training program. You’ll still have to learn how to manage the weather patterns, airspace, terrain and other characteristics of your local flying area back home. However Lou’s “Landing Doctor Program” provides a great foundation.
https://thelandingdoctor.com/training

It will be important to have a plan in place to continue flying when you get home to keep your skills up. Flying opportunity will inevitably be subject to local weather.
Last edited by designrs on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

More on Sebring:

Sebring airport is a nice environment with a very good restaurant on the field.

If you are interested in learning about mechanics, Lockwood Aviation is on the field. They are one of the largest Rotax dealers and service centers. You can learn a lot just by visiting and they also offer Rotax maintence courses.
https://lockwood.aero/

Tecnam Aircraft is also in Sebring. Their aircraft are not cheep, but they have some really nice planes that are always worth checking out.
https://www.tecnam.com/us/homepage/
- Richard
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sebring Regional Airport can also be very prone to high winds. Learn to fly there, and you're sure to master XW landing techniques.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

USN_MC wrote:Thank you, HF,

I was just getting on to post I had talked to Brant from Sebring Flight Academy. Their course appears to be a week longer, a little more expensive but also includes housing. Both appear to be amazing!

Brant was awesome to talk with and will be accommodating and comforting to my situation.

Best of luck with your training. CAVU! When do you plan to start? Winter is a wonderful time to fly in Florida.

I live in Haines City, not far from Sebring. I looked into Sebring’s program when I started and it looked pretty good. At the time, First Landings had more planes and instructors, so scheduling was easier with them and I had more options if a plane was grounded for maintenance.

I hope you’ll give us a blow by blow account of your course.
1/2
----------------
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Not sure when I am going to start. Hopefully, soon!! Of course, I will post updates here.

BT

Thanks to all those that gave advice and sent me private messages. Richard was a huge help!
drseti

Post by drseti »

USN_MC wrote: Richard was a huge help!
He always is. Long one of our most active members, Richard was on extended hiatus until recently. We're happy to have him back.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

drseti wrote:
USN_MC wrote: Richard was a huge help!
He always is. Long one of our most active members, Richard was on extended hiatus until recently. We're happy to have him back.
Thank you! It’s my pleasure. However it’s not just me. We have a wonderful and supportive group here on this forum.
- Richard
designrs

Post by designrs »

USN_MC, these are the crosswinds that Dr. Paul mentioned. Florida has large airports with multiple runways, so sometimes students don’t get enough crosswind practice.

Not so at Sebring! Although there are two runways, crosswinds are common. The max crosswind specification is 15 kts on the Bristell (similar to most LSA’s.) This weather would be great practice!

The screenshots are from the app ForeFlight, a great tool to familiarize yourself with. Your studies will teach the “longhand” principles, but ForeFlight makes real-life flying easier!

4D333074-6C53-430A-978D-EA4D1BE9D327.jpeg
4D333074-6C53-430A-978D-EA4D1BE9D327.jpeg (89.32 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
1DECF815-B529-4B70-9CC0-73DB897521DC.jpeg
1DECF815-B529-4B70-9CC0-73DB897521DC.jpeg (104.61 KiB) Viewed 7354 times
0120B77B-E142-4564-89E6-3F7D763057FB.jpeg
0120B77B-E142-4564-89E6-3F7D763057FB.jpeg (89.22 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
- Richard
WDD

Post by WDD »

You always have the option of finding a "traditional" CFI flying a "traditional" plane (like a Cessna 172, etc.) and doing much of your training with that.
Would be a lot closer (assuming you can find a willing CFI).

Then go to a Sebring / etc. to finish up with your solo, etc. to get your Sport Pilot ticket.
designrs

Post by designrs »

WDD wrote:You always have the option of finding a "traditional" CFI flying a "traditional" plane (like a Cessna 172, etc.) and doing much of your training with that.
Would be a lot closer (assuming you can find a willing CFI).

Then go to a Sebring / etc. to finish up with your solo, etc. to get your Sport Pilot ticket.
While it could be done that way, I wouldn’t recommend it... totally different aircraft with very different flight characteristics. Also, just not having continuity and consistency, especially if time and money are factors.

When I started flight training I flew at a few different schools:
One was substandard.
The other was “Just OK.” Weather got in the way and they sold the LSA.
Another flight school was quite good, but it didn’t feel like the right match.

I paused, looked some more, paused again, and traveled across the country to attend Sport Plane Expos.
Finally, I found The Plane, The Place, and The Instructor that I knew was going to work.

I think USN_MC (and others) have it a lot easier with the flight school recommendations from this board.
- Richard
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

USN_MC wrote:Thank you for your reply. This is my only option at the moment due to some medical issues from my military time.

I can't imagine not going through with this. I saw a three week school online. I believe it's called EAA. It is a little expensive but I can save and attend when I get the green light from Momma. What are your thoughts on these schools?

Thank you again!
I just got my January 2020 edition of EAA Sport Aviation, and it contains a very good article on the EAA Sport Pilot Academy. Obviously, some of the photos are "staged", but it does a pretty fair job of laying out the process and curriculum. I flew with Mark Jones, who is now lead trainer, and I believe Joe Norris is still the Academy Director. It does mention that they will be obtaining Vans RV-12s in 2020. Although I like the Skycatcher, with 2 on board, fuel load can become an issue. The RV-12 should eliminate that problem. And, so I've heard, is an absolute blast to fly!
USN_MC

Post by USN_MC »

Thank you all for continuing to post. I am fully invested in this goal. After sitting down with my wife and talking about a start date. I think spring or early summer is going to be the best for me. If she doesn't think I am good to go at any point, this is a non-starter for me. I feel like I am good but she has been with me 23 years. I trust her judgment.

At this time I am going to continue to do research, study and learn as much as I can until I get the green light from my wife.

Thank you all, I hope to continue to get messages and posts. This is amazing stuff!