Aeronca Champ 7BCM

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

A mini 500 maybe???
"Keep on Draggin"
bryancobb

Try This

Post by bryancobb »

flyboy2007 wrote:Bryan that is a cool little chopper. what kind was it. I am and have been really interested in getting something like that and getting my rotorcraft license.
That was 1997 and it was a Mini-500. Don't go there.

Try this. Much Better.
http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

saintlfd wrote:I tip the scales at 200 lbs. The CFI better be a lightweight, I guess.
There are lightweights out there... :)
I've been working with a student in a Cub and things are going pretty well. This was his second solo flight yesterday...

http://youtu.be/UKwApB5gU1U

I don't think you can go wrong with learning in a Champ or a Cub assuming your instructor is half decent.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

The new-production 7EC Champs made by American Champion have toe brakes. They also come from the factory just tipping the scales at 1320 lbs - as long as you do not specify any options. This is quite a feat with that lump-of-iron O-200-D in the nose. Fortunately toe brakes are included as standard. Therefore, the Note 1 in the EAA PDF applies to them and they should be legal to fly by Sport Pilots. The website of ACA carefuly avoids making any such claim though. The buyer must read the FAR and assume the responsibility.

P.S. I forgot to mention that they had a little price bump for 2012: from $109k to $116k. And yet, this is still cheaper than Cessna 162, despite being certificated and made in America. Curious.
drseti

Post by drseti »

zaitcev wrote: they had a little price bump for 2012: from $109k to $116k. And yet, this is still cheaper than Cessna 162
Maybe not by as much as you would think, Pete. The Champ comes without any antennas, rear brakes, rear heat, radios, GPS, intercom, transponder, encoder, or ELT. Their website doesn't list prices for these options, but I imagine once you've added them, you're not all that much better off than the price of the Skycatcher.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

A Champ with rear breaks and the like would still be a very good deal. But the problem is, every one of those options adds weight. They really need to get rid of O-200-D on that thing. P2006T flies with certified Rotaxes, so it can be done.