Sport Pilot Knowledge Exam/ASA test prep question

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

High Altitude

Sport Pilot Knowledge Exam/ASA test prep question

Post by High Altitude »

Hi everyone,

I attempted to obtain my PP about 17 years ago, but never received it. I completed all the requirements (all required flight hours/knowledge exam etc..), but never took the practical, marriage, job, kids etc....

Any way, I am going to start training again to obtain my sport pilot license and I am thinking about taking the knowledge exam first, get it out of the way and then hit the training hard and push right through till finished.

I have the ASA 2012 sport pilot test prep software. I just purchased/downloaded it yesterday.

I have read the study guide and finished all the questions for the first 4 chapters, scoring 90%+ with many sections 100%.

I am going to go through the other 3 chapters tomorrow, and then take the two required tests the next day.

Assuming I pass the two tests with 80%+ in order to get the certification of completion from ASA so I can take the knowledge exam........

Is this test prep program really all I need to know to pass the test?

It seems too easy/very little material to learn.

Has anyone here used the ASA test prep exclusively and then passed the knowledge exam? Did you think the ASA test prep material prepared you well enough for the test?
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

You're probably good to go. I've taken both the LS and PP written and the LS is considerably easier.
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

I used the asa material, when I was scoring 95 + everytime I was ready. The exam took me less than 15 min. and I got an 88.
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

I took the exam today.

Scored 100% and it took me all of 12 minutes.

The ASA material is 100% good to go. Easy to get through and more than adequate to pass the test.

I will definitely be purchasing their checkride book/dvd.
Last edited by High Altitude on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Re: Sport Pilot Knowledge Exam/ASA test prep question

Post by drseti »

High Altitude wrote:Assuming I pass the two tests with 80%+ in order to get the certification of completion from ASA so I can take the knowledge exam......
80% is not quite high enough a bar, IMHO. My students use the Gleim test prep software; I'm sure the ASA is equally good. When they're scoring above 90% on the practice tests, they're ready. They typically miss one or two questions on the written (and some do score 100%). So, I'd say if you can get up above 90% on the ASA, you're more than good to go.

Remember that once you pass the written, you're still required to get ground instruction on those subject areas in which you missed questions (and will need an instructor's signoff to that effect before you can take your practical exam). If you ace the written, your instructor's signoff will look something like this:

"I certify that I have given Joe Pilot instruction on all zero subject areas in which he was found to be deficient on the Sport Pilot knowledge test..." :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

The 80%+ is what ASA requires in order to get the endorsement, but I agree with you, you should be able to score 90%+.

The ASA program has it set up to make it real easy to email them your test scores. After I emailed the test scores I immediately received the endorsement emailed to me in a PDF file.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Yes with the ASA software, I have recomended, at a minimum getting 90% on the practice tests and after the 8 years working with this I have not heard of any failures using this technique.

We now have this on sale for sport pilots at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-51-prepware- ... tware.aspx

private pilots:
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-169-prepware ... tware.aspx

and CFI
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-53-prepware- ... tware.aspx

we lowered all the prices of all our training materials to match the "internet" deals.

Please call me personally if you have any questions 775 772 8232. This helps make our products better!
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites