Checkride scheduled - Any hints, tips?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

NismoRR

Checkride scheduled - Any hints, tips?

Post by NismoRR »

Did the first hour of Checkride review yesterday and we tentatively scheduled the checkride for 7/19. I've been doing my homework pretty well and looking to cover all the bases, or as many bases as possible. My main questions are about the oral and any tricky or unexpected topics that come up, or areas of knowledge that are stressed. I'm using the Gleim Oral Guide as an outline (which my CFI said is 'decent') and of course the PTS.

Would appreciate any bits of information that could help in my preperation.

Thanks!

Todd
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

I'll try to reflect abit in the next day or so as what I've done sinks in, I passed mine yesterday. If you can fly safely I think that's what they are really concerned about, I was really nervous at times but that passes, on your landings if you don't like it (my short field) go around I did.
Read your aim, you don't have to know everything but I knew where to look. Try to get a good nights sleep, good luck with that. Mine lasted from 830am till after 4pm but we had some mechanical issues that forced a return and a 1 hour or so delay.
Be comfortable with your chart and e6b? in the air. Don't be to distracted, Ignore the bs and do what you were taught you'll be fine. I went with the minset that he couldn't kill me and eat me. That's against the law :P
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

Thanks for that Goin. Wow, 8:30 to 4 is a LONG day. I'm trying not to get too uptight about the checkride, though that's easy to say over two weeks out. Let me ask, how many flights/lessons did you do the week or so before the checkride?

Congrats on the ticket. Total awesomeness indeed! :D
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

From someone who passed the PP oral but felt he did badly...

Study the 'Special Emphasis Items' in the PTS. Important.

Be able to identify *all* airspace and symbols on your local VFR chart.

Know the V airspeeds and spin recovery procedures for your airplane.

Know the oxygen, seatbelt, currency, ELT, required instruments, and transponder FARs.

Know runway markers and airspace.

Good luck.
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

Checked my phone, I was actually done at 309pm. first call after tiedown. :lol:
Know all you can about your planes electrical(generator, alternator?) system and fuel system.
I flew 2.5 the week before and .6 2 days prior. I actually thought it would be next week, I went to do the paperwork with my instructor and figured 1 more hour solo but he called the dpe and I said I was flexible. He said how's tomorrow and I figured take a chance, Columbus did. :o
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

The best resource for the checkride is the "Sport Pilot Checkride" book, just as it implies. It goes over all subject areas and references the FAR/AIM for each uestion answer.

As I describe to people, the PTS is the questions/requirements, the checkride book is the answers and information you need to know. You can get it at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-50-sport-pil ... -book.aspx
Make sure and download the book update with the newest rules at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/t-updates.aspx

Plenty of examiners use it to formulate questions. There is a "Sport Pilot
Checkride DVD" that is also helpful showing you what it is like to go throught a checkride.
Video trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpnANWRpfBw

Book and DVD can be obtained at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-84-sport-pil ... combo.aspx
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

Paul Hamilton wrote:The best resource fo
Video trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpnANWRpfBw

Book and DVD can be obtained at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-84-sport-pil ... combo.aspx
I studied and used all of the above resources and more. I think at crunch time it's good to hear from people who have just gone through it also, I'm only offering a little positive encouragement.
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

My only input, aside from what has been said here, would be: Remember to fly the airplane, sounds simplistic but if you can fly the airplane well, and hopefully fairly effortlessly, that will be the most important thing the examiner is looking for. You can never figure exactly what the examiner will ask you to do, but most likely the DPE will be looking for SAFE FLYING, correct radio procedures and sound fundamental PTS technique, you know, the things you should be OK with in order to fly with your children in the plane. If you're OK with that thought, you'll do fine.
You'll be PIC for this trip so go in to it with that mindset.
Sport Pilot
drseti

Post by drseti »

Targetbuster wrote:You'll be PIC for this trip so go in to it with that mindset.
Along those lines, don't forget to brief the DPE just as you would any other passenger. Explain to him or her that this is an LSA and does not meet certified aircraft standards. Show him or her how to get in and out of the plane, how to operate the seatbelt and door or canopy, etc. Take the initiative in establishing positive transfer of control. State very clearly that you will be PIC on this flight, that if you want the DPE to take control you will say "your airplane" and wait until you hear a response of "my airplane" before releasing the controls, and vice-versa. You want to exude an air of confidence and authority. (If you are not sufficiently confident to project this image, you probably aren't ready to be PIC, and hence, aren't ready for the checkride.)

Do remember that the DPE is, first and foremost, a teacher. He or she will probably try to teach you something new. This doesn't mean you have done anything wrong, only that we can all learn something when flying with a different instructor. Go with the flow, and have fun!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Explain to him or her that this is an LSA and does not meet certified aircraft standards.

Really? After all, nobody outside of our tiny little world even knows what you mean by "certified aircraft" ... you could argue that the difference between S-LSA airworthiness and Part 23 airworthiness is pretty nuanced from a lay perspective. IMO you may as well brief your passenger that the flight is not being conducted under part 121 rules. They won't have any idea what it means but since you are phrasing it negatively they'll assume it's bad. Seems like briefing a passenger that you are not a commercial/instrument rated pilot...why go there?

I'm applying non-aviation standards after having given quite a few briefings, but IMO a briefing should contain useful information that the recipient needs, or may need. In this context that would be seatbelt use, emergency procedures, how to work the radio (and avoid the PTT button), how to stay clear of the controls (can be a real problem in some planes) etc. - all of that makes perfect sense to me. Unless extraneous info (e.g. nuances of how the particular plane got its airworthiness certificate) is required by law (e.g. e-ab disclosures) I'm not going to brief them on it any more than I'd brief on how to change a flat tire. Am I wrong?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Believe it or not, that briefing disclaimer is required by the FARs! (Don't ask me which one - it's too late at night for me to look it up just now, but it's the same rule that requires that passenger warning plaque on the panel). As for making it comprensible, I explain that the FAA defers to ASTM standards with LSAs, which means my plane's airworthiness is established by engineers, not bureaucrats.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

I did some digging... if the plane has a special airworthiness certificate (pink) you've always got to inform passengers of that fact. It's the general application of the rule I mentioned about E-ABs.

I'm trying to remember how people have given that briefing when I've been lucky enough to hitch a ride in someone's homebuilt. I think one went something like, "This is an amateur-built experimental aircraft. The FAA has not tested or certified this aircraft as meeting the requirements of a standard airworthiness certificate."

Anything wrong with that, tweaked for LSA? "This is a S-LSA aircraft. The FAA has not tested or certified this aircraft as meeting the requirements for a standard airworthiness certificate."
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sounds like that should work.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think it is required for a placard to be in the cabin with the statement on it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:I think it is required for a placard to be in the cabin
Ture, but there's also a stipulation in the FARs that the PIC has to verbally brief passengers to that effect. (In case they can't read??)

There's a good FAA article on passenger preflight briefings at https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gslac/l ... nFeb07.pdf. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the S-LSA or E-AB disclaimer.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US