disgusted

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

goinaround

disgusted

Post by goinaround »

Really considering tossing in the towel. Multiple mechanical issues slowed progress over the winter, I've done the written, met all flight requirements and have tried to prep for the checkride. Scheduled 4 hrs last week airplane down with dinged wingtip, 4 hours today canceled instructor illness/injury that may require surgery. . I have flown with so many different instructors I just am tired of dropping back 2 squares. Everyone seems to be baffled by the high numbers of people who fail to finish, duuh. My world just can't always revolve around what's convienient for flight instructors. I feel like I have flown enough circles around the neighborhood by myself. 2 lsa in the entire region and instructors who don't really embrace the sport pilot concept. I'm at my wits end.
needed to vent. everyone have a great day
bryancobb

Hey "Goin" I'm witcha

Post by bryancobb »

It's hard sometimes.

I had a good friend who got tired of the same thing when he was getting his helicopter license.

He was fortunate enough that he took 2 weeks away from work and PARKED HIS CAMPER AT THE SCHOOL THAT WAS TRAINING HIM. It worked out.

He had polio in one leg and flew with a belt looped around his two legs, above the knee. He was required to take his checkride with the FAA examiner, so he parked his camper at the FSDO until the FAA examiner did his test. (Prior to 9-11)

They told him it would take 6 weeks to get his test. After he parked there, the examiner did his test the next day.

MORAL OF THE STORY...JUST HANG IN THERE AND DON'T LOSE FAITH.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

I have around 60 hrs, do the math, I have switched planes, instructors you name it it's been something to overcome. I used to think I had to want it bad enough to deal with the aggravation, I'm no longer sure I want to be aggravated or keep throwing money at this. While it really breaks my heart I just see no light at the end of the tunnel. It's just one of those days in life and it will pass.
I have had some incredible adventures in life and maybe this is just a mountain I can't climb.
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

Ithink that bad customer experience is probably the main thing that drives away students.
I have been through the broken plane and unavailable instructor wringer as well although probably not as bad as you. Mine has been in the Private Pilot arena.
I am surprised at the aopa is always trying to figure out what is causing such a low rate of success. It is obvious to me.
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

I know your frustration well. As someone with a 6 year gap in training caused in part by similar frustrations, I can only say ,"Stick it out if you can, because coming back in 5 years will have you repeating even more."

Good luck whatever you choose.
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

I had 60 hours including all solo xcountry's(in Hawaii) in the 70's, so I understand about the layoff. :lol: The instructors have no problem with my flying(they say) nor do they have a problem with me spending a fortune and not accomplishing anything. After 60 more hours I have come to the conclusion that this just ain't to be.
Just found out the instructor is out for min. 2 months. While I wish him well you can stick me with a fork. I am done.
Last edited by goinaround on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryancobb

My guess

Post by bryancobb »

With your private stuff from Hiwaii, and the 60 you have, and the written done.
I could have you in the checkride in the 3 hours of required checkride prep.
Flying is flying and experience is experience.

You already have all the skills.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
goinaround

Re: My guess

Post by goinaround »

bryancobb wrote:With your private stuff from Hiwaii, and the 60 you have, and the written done.
I could have you in the checkride in the 3 hours of required checkride prep.
Flying is flying and experience is experience.

You already have all the skills.
I keep hearing this but it doesn't happen :cry:
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Where are you located? As in what part of the world?
bryancobb

Re: My guess

Post by bryancobb »

[/quote]
I keep hearing this but it doesn't happen :cry:[/quote]

These Sport CFI's tend to want you to be a PhD in aviation BEFORE going for your ride.

IT IS A LICENSE TO LEARN FOR HEAVEN"S SAKE!!!

If you are safe, show that you can get up and down without injuring anyone or destroying anyone's stuff, know how to stay out of bad weather and taboo airspace, and know a little about flyng somewhere away from your home airport and what to do if you get lost,

YOU SHOULD PASS!!!!! NO SWEAT!!!!
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

Jon V wrote:Where are you located? As in what part of the world?
Va.
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Personally, I would ...

1) Ask your current CFI to write you a letter of recommendation. If I was in their situation I would be feeling really bad right now and would do it without question just to assuage my own guilt.

2) Contact the most reputation-aware flight schools within about a one day drive. E.g. Paul Shuch that posts here on this forum as drseti, CSP, and probably others. Explain where (geographically and in training) you are, what you want, and how close you are to giving up. Say that you want to camp out at their airfield (maybe not literally) and do all the required training + pass your checkride. Share your CFI's letter with them and be honest.

3) Pick the one you like the best. Personally, I would look for buy-in. If they take it as a challenge for them, that's great. If they see it as just a challenge for you...maybe not so hot. In any case, make sure they can work with a DPE that has flown in their planes, etc.

4) Budget the time, money, and everything else to take 4 days to just get it done. Coordinate the schedule with the DPE, instructor, planes, etc well in advance and have a weather fall-back. Then do it.

It may be a Hail Mary in a way but at least you go out fighting, giving yourself a honest chance of success instead of walking away defeated by your CFI's health problems.

At least, that's what I'd want to do. I understand about reality sometimes not allowing these neat sounding plans to work out in real life.
bshort

Post by bshort »

deleted
Last edited by bshort on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

Grrr. I've got a guy with about 14-15 hours and I think I'll be having him to checkride before he gets to 30 hours if he's diligent. If we do really well, I think we could get it between 22-26.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jon V wrote: Contact the most reputation-aware flight schools within about a one day drive. E.g. Paul Shuch that posts here on this forum as drseti,
thanks for the unsolicited recommendation, Jon!
camp out at their airfield (maybe not literally)
In fact, Goingaround can do just that here in Lock Haven. The airport manager owns a nice trailer on the field, which can be rented on the cheap by someone who wants to sprint toward the finish line. Three days flying with me, a fourth day for the checkride, and we should have a newly minted pilot. Next week is Sentimental Journey, our big annual fly-in, but after that I could certainly devote a few days to getting our friend licensed. Sounds like he's ready.

That letter of recommendation is a good idea -- I'd be much more likely to rise to the challenge if the student came armed with one.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US