Changing Flight Schools

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Flyboyz

Changing Flight Schools

Post by Flyboyz »

Hi,
I have a general question about changing the flight schools - after passing the Knowledge test, completing the cross-country, solo & other pre-requisites at one school, is it possible to change flight school and complete the rest of the training(pre-checkride lessons & check ride) at another school?

FB....
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Yes.

However, I strongly suspect you will end up repeating some stuff.

E.g. you will need new solo endorsements, and you'll need to satisfy the new CFI that you are really going to pass your checkride before (s)he will sign you off to do that.
Flyboyz

Post by Flyboyz »

hmmm, repeat...that's again costs me lot, which destroys tmy purpose of going for a Sport pilot ....... well, thanks for clarifying this Jon......
bshort

Post by bshort »

Most will want you to fly a minimum amount of hours with a CFI (10 or so) before you can solo in order to satisfy their insurance requirements. Just a waste of money. Stay where you are if you can.
drseti

Re: Changing Flight Schools

Post by drseti »

Flyboyz wrote:after passing the Knowledge test, completing the cross-country, solo & other pre-requisites at one school, is it possible to change flight school and complete the rest of the training(pre-checkride lessons & check ride) at another school?
I've had one student successfully transfer in from another school after completing the first supervised solo and passing the Knowledge test, with minimal lost time and effort. This worked because I knew his previous flight instructor personally, and that instructor was willing to write a letter for my files, recommending that transfer student for post-solo training. The only extra effort required of the student (other than flying with me once or twice before I would solo him again) is that I required the student to take my flight school's pre-solo written test. He aced it!

If you are able to coordinate between your old and new schools, this can sometimes work.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

bshort wrote:Most will want you to fly a minimum amount of hours with a CFI (10 or so)
The dual instruction required to be logged specifically in preparation for the checkride is, I believe, 3 hours. If you're not changing aircraft models, are current, and were reasonably competent before changing schools, this dual flying (which you're going to be doing somewhere in any case) should be sufficient to satisfy both the instructor and the school's insurance. Before deciding this, the student should take his or her logbook to the new school and talk it over with the proposed new instructor.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Flyboyz

Post by Flyboyz »

Thats some interesting points! i'm looking to switch schools, having some difficulties with the current one..... thanks for you advise guys!
FB..
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

Flyboyz, not only is it possible but I have done it. I had almost 30hrs when my instructor just quit on me. Literally stopped flying on Sundays knowing all along I could only fly on the weekend as I was traveling 135miles to the Flight School. Well the owner didn't seem to care and I needed 5hrs dual in our Remos G3 so, I changed flight schools. Went to Sarasota to the same flight school my partner trained at. I purchased 10 more hrs of dual and only really needed 3. That was when the instructor told me he was scheduling my check ride. But for the record I used all 10 hrs and learned a tremendous amount that I wasn't taught at the other flight school.

So.. with all that said I now have over 85hrs logged and am thankful that I did change schools.

Best of luck.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
Flyboyz

Post by Flyboyz »

that must be hard on you 'gmohr', but great to see that were determined to complete your training - cheers for that.... i feel some flight schools are lacking professionalism, unfortunately, they do not realize their actions hurt general aviation industry and discouraging the aspiring pilots......
thanks for sharing ur side of the story!