Working on First Solo

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

ming1000

Working on First Solo

Post by ming1000 »

Hi, folks

I finally start training last Friday, so far I got about 15 hours dual time, still am working on solo, it's actually the landing skills; I hope I can make it this week.

The craziest thing we did is that Mult Power-stalls started at 3500 ft down to 1800 ft; it's really ear poping.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Keep up the good work, you will be ready to solo in no time. What I have found in flying the LSAs, especially for landing, is it's all about the feel of the aircraft. Each LSA is different, some are much easier to land than others, but they all have a feel that you can get used to. The first aircraft I soloed was an Aerostar Festival, super easy to land and forgiving to the touch. The second plane was an Ercoupe 415C which I think I could have landed blindfolded and half asleep. That plane is the easiest thing to fly and land I have ever seen and what a blast to fly. If you ever fly an Ercoupe you will see why Bill loves them so much. My current plane is more difficult to land than any I have flown to date. The controls are so much more responsive, the touch is much much lighter and if I flared as much as I did in the Festival I would be right back climbing and flying again as opposed to landing. All of the things that make it a little more difficult to land are also the things that make it more fun to fly, the quick and responsive touch. I guess the point to my rambling is whatever you are flying now has a certain feel and once you get that feel you will become a little more comfortable with the aircraft and the landing will get easier.

BTW - Stalls are AWESOME! I had to do four stalls for my checkride, it was a hoot. Power off, Power on and Accelerated Stalls to the left and right.
KellyZ

Ercoupe 415C

Post by KellyZ »

If anyone's interested, I understand there is an Ercoupe 415C for sale at the Watertown WI airport (KRYV). I don't know if they are offering Sport Pilot training. When it was based at the Reedsburg airport (C35) the FBO there was doing Sport Pilot training.
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

Figured I'd reply here than start a new topic.

At 10.6 hours since I started 1/28 and have been in the pattern for the last five lessons. As Ming says, it's all about the landing skills, and I'm very happy and excited that my landings are getting smoother, softer and more consistent. I'm developing a better feel for the plane (C162) during the flare and ensuing float, and developing patience for bleeding off speed and letting her touch down gently. Friday's lesson was great, all landings were at least "good", some put big smiles and both my and my CFIs face. It was great.

I know the solo is coming up soon. Maybe 2-3 more lessons. My CFI e-mailed me his pre-solo written test last weekend which I completed and reviewed with him Tuesday.

I can't believe how fast training moves along. Before Friday's lesson, I made my CFI's day. :D I told him that I knew I wasn't soloing that day, but said that in five weeks, he took a guy (me) who never flew a light plane, and taught him how to fly. I said that if he forced me into the Skycatcher by myself, that I could fly the plane and land at this point. And I really thanked him for teaching me all these skills, and that what I am learning is literally changing my life. This 26 yr old CFI almost got a little choked up and didn't know what to say at first. It was pretty cool!

Anyway, that's the update for now. Still very excited and am really enjoying this learning process.
drseti

Post by drseti »

NismoRR wrote:Still very excited and am really enjoying this learning process.
Keep up the good work, Nismo. Sounds like you're doing great!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

ArionAv8or wrote: BTW - Stalls are AWESOME! I had to do four stalls for my checkride, it was a hoot. Power off, Power on and Accelerated Stalls to the left and right.
I couldn't find anything requiring an accelerated stall in the sport pilot practical test standard. Was there a reason why you were tested on it?
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

Jim Stewart wrote:
ArionAv8or wrote: BTW - Stalls are AWESOME! I had to do four stalls for my checkride, it was a hoot. Power off, Power on and Accelerated Stalls to the left and right.
I couldn't find anything requiring an accelerated stall in the sport pilot practical test standard. Was there a reason why you were tested on it?
Not that I know of, but when the DPE asked for it I did it.
drseti

Post by drseti »

ArionAv8or wrote:when the DPE asked for it I did it.
Remember that DPEs are, first and foremost, flight instructors. They love teaching, and anyone can learn something from them. So, they often do things with the applicant that aren't in the PTS, as a teaching experience. They can't pass or fail you based upon anything outside of the PTS, but they can certainly demonstrate (or have the applicant demonstrate) other maneuvers.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US