Training Materials

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

Maverick972

Training Materials

Post by Maverick972 »

I need some advise as to the best written materials for the sport pilot written test. I have looked at the Gliem (sp) but would like to see what has worked for others.

Also any log book suggestions or should I go with an all inclusive kit?

Thanks!!! :D
spooky981

Post by spooky981 »

I'll be posting a review of the Cessna Online Sport Pilot training program sometime this week. Take a look at it if you can afford it!
Z06 C5

Post by Z06 C5 »

Get the gleim test prep cd, I used it. Study mode and test mode. The written is a piece of cake. Did the 40 questions in about 20 minutes. Mainly rules and regs. and airspace, some fundamental aero principles. and couple about charts and navigation.

I mean how much can you cover in 40 questions.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Any way you look at it, the sport pilot knowledge test is a no brainer, similar to the private which is a little harder.

There are a number of questions and you figure out how to answer the questions to pass the FAA test.

simple. easy.

It just depends on what you want to learn.

Do you want to get through the FAA test, or do you want do become a safe and confident pilot. Passing the FAA knowledge test should only take about 10% of the effort to become a safe and confident pilot. There is no correlation knowledge required just rote memorization to pass the test. Yes studying for the FAA knowledge test helps, you pick up some stuff, but it is not a complete ground school.

It should be understood that “Ground School” has evolved over the years to be “studying to pass the FAA knowledge test”. As far as the common advertised “Ground School” goes, nothing is further from the TRUTH. With all the popular "ground schools" from ASA, Gleim, Jeppeson, and King, do not expect a comprehensive ground school to get your sport pilot certificate. These are varying depths of knowledge to pass the FAA knowledge test.

Expect something to get you through the knowledge test since that is what it is. I work and help design the knowledge test prep materials called ground school, and the objective is to teach you the information to get you through the knowledge test questions as simply and easily as possible.

Understanding the important things that keep you safe and flying confidently are the first and most important things you should learn in GROUND SCHOOL. Unfortunately, this most important knowledge is not taught for the classical “knowledge test prep” ground school.

“Ground School ” is actually three specific areas of knowledge:

1. Learning the flight and aircraft operation procedures before getting in the cockpit, the most fun part of ground school.

2. Leaning the aeronautical knowledge (weather, sectionals, cross country, etc.). This is also an interesting part of ground school that is used to be a safe pilot.

3. Learning the answers to the FAA Questions to pass the knowledge test. This is the least interesting and scariest. It requires unnecessary time spent and additional brain volume required that does us the least good.

Yes some of the information for items 1 and 2 above are in the 3 knowledge test prep, but the knowledge test prep is only 10% of the ground school you will need to learn.

Note that the “knowledge test prep” ground school is required, but not at the beginning of flight training or the "more important" ground school. The FAA Knowledge test is simply some measure of the applicants ability to remember some of the concepts plus the regulations and be tested in a consistent manner.

If you can learn the fun and most important stuff first (items 1 and 2 above) on the ground in “Ground School”, it is more efficient than using the cockpit as the classroom which costs you 3 to 5 times as much to learn the knowledge. Do not worry, all the fun ground school builds towards the final phase of “3 ground school” to take the FAA Knowledge Test and the Checkride. It is easier to learn the information and then be able to answer the FAA questions, when memorize the questions and answers.

The best resources are the FAA handbooks “Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge” 8083-25A and the “Airplane Flying Handbook” 8083-3A. These should be your reference books for all your ground schools and preparing for the Checkride also. I have modified/enhanced both these books for sport pilots flying LSA as a downloadable PDF. This allows you to know that to study and what not to study plus add important information. If you want a complete “ground school” covering all three needed topics visit http://sport-pilot-training.com/hamilto ... -training/

And yes if you want to get through your FAA sport pilot knowledge test I have a CD which is $30 to accomplish this at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/p-51-prepware- ... tware.aspx
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
zdc

Post by zdc »

If you spend more than $100 on study materials, you are going overboard. The Gleim test book [about $20] plus free downloads a www.faa.gov for the airplane flying handbook and other pubs [ or Pauls' DVD] are sufficent. New students who are excited about learning to fly sometimes want to buy everything in sight. Stay away from packages, and don't waste your money on an electronic E6B. Getting an airman certificate often costs more than anticipated, so conserve your money where you can.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

After talking to hundreds of sport pilot applicants before, during and after their training, everyone is different and needs different training materials.

As an example for the knowledge test, the cheap people thrive in the Gleim, others think they need the King at a $250 plus.

It should also be understood that some people want the cheapest, others do not care, they want the best. Some do not want to crack a book, others want as much as they can get to study. Some expect DVD’s to watch to learn to fly, others just want the minimum to get through the tests. Some like books, some like free downloads. It is important to get the stuff that fits your learning style the best.

I need to be corrected. Here I thought the Gleim was the cheapest, it is $50 plus for a download http://www.gleim.com/aviation/sportpilot/software/

We just reduced our Sport Pilot Prepware (to pass the Knowledge Test) to $24 plus shipping and we send you a CD which makes this less expensive than Gleim download http://www.ap-stores.com/p-51-prepware- ... tware.aspx

In designing my training system, I looked at the King, Gleim, Machado, Jeppeson, Cirrus, McDonald, Gardner and many more. One thing you can be sure of when you use my training system, I have incorporated the best of everybody’s, and designed it specifically for sport pilots. We did not take the private pilot and modify it for sport. We have the basic books, downloadable books, CD’s, DVD’s, and now downloadable DVD’s. You can get the complete kit or put together the components that are best for you. Call me personally and I will help you 775 747 0175. I know that my system has been known for being the most expensive, so we have drastically reduced prices and provided new options to compete in this new economy. Now if you compare apples to apples (pull out or download the DVD’s, download some of the books), we are now as competitive with the low cost option and offer the premium system specifically for sport pilot. Things have changed.

Check it out before you buy. Make sure you look at what you get. Most "sport pilot training" or “Ground Schools” are only the knowledge test and do NOT include the important learn to fly training materials or the checkride preparation.

There is one fact that is true for most everybody after they pass their knowledge test and checkride: whatever system they use, they think it is best and suggest it is what everyone else should use.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Maverick972

Post by Maverick972 »

Thank Paul and others,

I should have quantified my question better but have found my answer. The fact is this I am not looking for the cheap way out to simply regurgitate information to pass the tests. I want to be a safe competent aviator and enjoy the learning process. My mentor was a Cobra pilot is Vietnam and has been in the aviation industry for 48 years has suggested to me many times that I will always be a student pilot.

I have just about made my mind up based on limited reviews and my own research. I am leaning twards Paul's....that is not plug...yet, but I will give a very complete review.

Thanks
scottj

Ground Training

Post by scottj »

Paul pretty well covered the textbook options. I firmly believe that in addition to, not instead of, you also need to attend a quality ground school.

When you study, and train, with other student pilots (whether it be for Sport, Private, Instrument, Commercial, or CFI) you learn a lot more than doing it alone. Ask around your local airport who teaches ground school nearby.

I have lost count of the number of student pilots, for any rating, who call me and just want to fly with a CFI thinking their online, DVD, or book will teach them the rest. You need the books and DVD's in addition to the in person training to become a proficient, safe, knowledgeable aviator.

Scott Johnson
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
zdc

Re: Ground Training

Post by zdc »

scottj wrote:Paul pretty well covered the textbook options. I firmly believe that in addition to, not instead of, you also need to attend a quality ground school.

When you study, and train, with other student pilots (whether it be for Sport, Private, Instrument, Commercial, or CFI) you learn a lot more than doing it alone. Ask around your local airport who teaches ground school nearby.

I have lost count of the number of student pilots, for any rating, who call me and just want to fly with a CFI thinking their online, DVD, or book will teach them the rest. You need the books and DVD's in addition to the in person training to become a proficient, safe, knowledgeable aviator.

Scott Johnson
I think it depends on the indivual whether a class room environment would be beneficial or not. Some people need the classroom and the guidance of an instructor or can't understand some of the concepts and need the extra help an instructor can provide. Others are self starters, have no problem with understanding the concepts, have busy work and personal lives and do just as well studying when it is convient for them.

You can choose your flight instructor, but in general, you can't.choose your ground instructor if you take a formal course. It will be just a matter of luck if you get a good ground instructor or not. Some of them are horrible and a waste of money. Many flight schools are not willing to pay a decent rate to retain good instructors.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Besides all the training materials competition BS.

If you can take a "class" with a CFI with a bunch of other potential students this is AWESOME. Do It. It is a great way to learn. It is rare to find a situation where there is enough people to make a “class” and an instructor who can make it entertaining, fun and knowledgeable. Even if they use boring, antiquated, cheap, barbaric, turn of the century, black and white, and/or bad training materials, this is a great way to learn with all the people asking questions you may be afraid to ask.

If the instructor is no good, the class will fizzle. If the instructor is good, you cannot go wrong because usually the cost is not that bad.