Flight School for >87kts endorsement around Phoenix, AZ?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

MacPara23

Flight School for >87kts endorsement around Phoenix, AZ?

Post by MacPara23 »

I'm building an RV-12 right now but I acquired my Sport Pilot license in an aircraft with cruise speed of less than 87kts. So, before the FAA comes with more regulations and requirements for the endorsement for faster aircraft, I'd like to get it done rather sooner than later.
My flight school in Tucson doesn't have a suitable plane for this, so I'm looking up North. Is there any flight school in the Phoenix area that would do that and has a suitable plan as well as some experience with Sport Pilot training?
Any recommendations?
yozz25

flight school

Post by yozz25 »

I'm not too sure what you are looking for, but I was very happy with Alliance in Scottsdale. They have the Remos, maybe they could help you, I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

yozz
yozz25

oh re-read your post

Post by yozz25 »

Yeah, if you want something greater than 87k, yeah, no doubt, Alliance in Scottdale, located at Scottdale airport, they have he Remos, definitely a good deal, the instructress is A-1

yozz
:D
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

Alliance Scottsdale or Tucson Aeroservice Center Marana (Avra Valley) did have a REMOS also.
CFIIMEI
MacPara23

Post by MacPara23 »

AZPilot wrote:Alliance Scottsdale or Tucson Aeroservice Center Marana (Avra Valley) did have a REMOS also.
Oh, I didn't know they had a Remos at KAVQ! That's right around the corner and practically on my way to the airport I fly out from, so I'd be faster taking the car to get there than flying. I'll check if I can rent it and stick with my local instructor. That'd be my favorite way to do it anyway.
Thanks guys!
drseti

Post by drseti »

MacPara23 wrote:
AZPilot wrote: I'll check if I can rent it and stick with my local instructor.
You'd best also check with your local instructor about how much Remos time he or she has. Five hours is an absolute minimum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
yozz25

oh yeah

Post by yozz25 »

Oh, I can vouch for that.

Alliance IMHO has big time remos experience, if you decide to go with them, give me a yell, I'll tell you who the instructress is hint hint hint, she knows her stuff.

My place sucks, and I can vouch that without extensive experience with the Remos, you're simply paying them as a guinea pig. I know some CFI are gonna say, yeah there goes yozz bitchin again, but I tell it like it is, since it seems students are under represented here.

Imagine a CFI admitting that some of his students are getting worse!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's my guy who blamed me for almost getting us killed by some crows, as if I told the crows to come on up and kill us.

My landing approach go something like this, "more power, less power, more power, less power, nose down, nose up, nose down, nose up" I wanna throw him out of the freakiin plane. He doesn't know jack about Remos. If he weren't in the plane I'm sure as hell I would land it safely on a dime.

Another character who didn't know the Remos got me into a power on stall that almost went into a spin. At least at Alliance the CFI said we will not even attempt the power on all the way.

So if your nearby guy hems and haws about experience, go to alliance, so what if you gotta drive a bit more, it's worth it, and they even have a motel right next to the school. Better to be with an instructor that has a handle on the plane and knows how to teach. If either element is missing, you may as well throw your money down the tubes. I'm considering going back there myself just to get the landings down pat.

yozz
KSCessnaDriver

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

drseti wrote:You'd best also check with your local instructor about how much Remos time he or she has. Five hours is an absolute minimum.
Not to hijack the topic but, I'm fairly sure that was one of the things that were changed in the last NPRM regarding sport pilot certification. Its no longer contained within 61.415, which is where it used to be.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
yozz25

Lsa students

Post by yozz25 »

The problem is the average chump going for pilot training is essentially walking blind when entering a flight school.

If he is lucky, everything will go fine, not many bumps in the road, and will progress as usual. This is a reflection of his CFI and ability to read people and know how to handle each person. It's an art, either you got it, or you don't but you can develop it. Of course the student has to keep up his end of the deal too, like do some studying when not in air.

If not, due to uninterested, heavy handed (an indication of teaching ineptness), inflexible, self serving CFI's, then it is another story and eventually either the student will drop out, go insane, and even "get worse" if that is all possible, according to my CFI, it is.

We are going out for crow a l'orange tonight, finely minced into a pate, with black feather garnish, anyone care to come?

So, caveat emptor

yozz
AZPilot

Post by AZPilot »

MacPara23 wrote:
AZPilot wrote:Alliance Scottsdale or Tucson Aeroservice Center Marana (Avra Valley) did have a REMOS also.
Oh, I didn't know they had a Remos at KAVQ! That's right around the corner and practically on my way to the airport I fly out from, so I'd be faster taking the car to get there than flying. I'll check if I can rent it and stick with my local instructor. That'd be my favorite way to do it anyway.
Thanks guys!
I doubt that they will let you use an "outside" instructor due to insurance and reasons stated in other threads.

Probably should just use the staff instructor familiar with the aircraft for your transition training. After that, you should be able to rent solo.
CFIIMEI
AZPilot

Re: oh yeah

Post by AZPilot »

yozz25 wrote:Oh, I can vouch for that.

Alliance IMHO has big time remos experience, if you decide to go with them, give me a yell, I'll tell you who the instructress is hint hint hint, she knows her stuff.

My place sucks, and I can vouch that without extensive experience with the Remos, you're simply paying them as a guinea pig. I know some CFI are gonna say, yeah there goes yozz bitchin again, but I tell it like it is, since it seems students are under represented here.

Imagine a CFI admitting that some of his students are getting worse!!!!!!!

Yeah, that's my guy who blamed me for almost getting us killed by some crows, as if I told the crows to come on up and kill us.

My landing approach go something like this, "more power, less power, more power, less power, nose down, nose up, nose down, nose up" I wanna throw him out of the freakiin plane. He doesn't know jack about Remos. If he weren't in the plane I'm sure as hell I would land it safely on a dime.

Another character who didn't know the Remos got me into a power on stall that almost went into a spin. At least at Alliance the CFI said we will not even attempt the power on all the way.

So if your nearby guy hems and haws about experience, go to alliance, so what if you gotta drive a bit more, it's worth it, and they even have a motel right next to the school. Better to be with an instructor that has a handle on the plane and knows how to teach. If either element is missing, you may as well throw your money down the tubes. I'm considering going back there myself just to get the landings down pat.

yozz
Have any of your instructors not put a little "target" on the windscreen so that you can make a constant glide angle and have a flare reference?
CFIIMEI
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

AZPilot wrote:
MacPara23 wrote:
Thanks guys!
I doubt that they will let you use an "outside" instructor due to insurance and reasons stated in other threads.

Probably should just use the staff instructor familiar with the aircraft for your transition training. After that, you should be able to rent solo.
+1 on what AZPilot said.

It is not a bad idea to fly with more than one instructor. You may be in a comfort zone with the one you know. Flying with new one is a good test of you skill and his teaching abilities. I have flown with several instructors over the past 40 years. I haven't liked all of them but picked up something from all of them.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
rsteele

Re: Flight School for >87kts endorsement around Phoenix,

Post by rsteele »

MacPara23 wrote:I'm building an RV-12 right now but I acquired my Sport Pilot license in an aircraft with cruise speed of less than 87kts. So, before the FAA comes with more regulations and requirements for the endorsement for faster aircraft, I'd like to get it done rather sooner than later.
My flight school in Tucson doesn't have a suitable plane for this, so I'm looking up North. Is there any flight school in the Phoenix area that would do that and has a suitable plan as well as some experience with Sport Pilot training?
Any recommendations?
Good luck with the RV-12. I saw one for the first time last weekend. It looks like a really sweet plane and it supposed to be about as easy to fly as anything out there. I'm sure you will love it. Going from Remos to RV-12, you will probably want some transition training.

Ron
drseti

Post by drseti »

KSCessnaDriver wrote: I'm fairly sure that was one of the things that were changed in the last NPRM regarding sport pilot certification.
I think you're right; FAA seems to have eliminated the five-hours-in-type requirement. That said, it would be pretty stupid of a flight instructor to try giving dual in any LSA without having at least five hours in make and model. FAA requirement or not, this is something the flight school (and the student) should insist on.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

AZPilot wrote: I doubt that they will let you use an "outside" instructor due to insurance and reasons stated in other threads.
That's certainly true in the case of my school. The open pilot clause in my insurance specifies any CFI whom I have personally checked out in the plane. Doesn't say how many hours, but my company policy is 5 minimum.
My recommendation as well.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US