Back in the saddle again

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

High Altitude

Back in the saddle again

Post by High Altitude »

18 years ago I tried to get a PPL, but life got in the way, and I never flew since.

Tomorrow begins a new chapter, my first training flight towards a Light Sport certificate.

Very excited!
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

pretty much my story, you will be challenged in ways you didn't expect but it will be the most rewarding thing you have ever done. good luck :D :D
drseti

Re: Back in the saddle again

Post by drseti »

High Altitude wrote:18 years ago I tried to get a PPL, but life got in the way,
Think of it as life giving you a chance to mature, so you'll end up a far better pilot. Good luck, welcome back, and have fun!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

It was a very humbling experience. I don't think I could of picked to fly in a situation that was any more opposite vs my prior experience.

Low wing vs High
Truck handling 152 vs Responsive Gobosh 700 LSA
Yoke vs Stick
6 pack vs twin all glass setup
Lots busier airspace - I saw more traffic fly by me in one of the practice areas than I did in 45 hours of training previously.

Add in flying in an area I have never flown in and I felt complete overwhelmed. Not that I couldn't fly the aircraft, just one of those situations where you are thinking a mile a minute trying to stay on top of everything.

I still had a great time though.

So how long does it take to get use to the glass? I want to learn to fly with an all glass setup since that is the way everything is going but it sure is different.

It will be interesting to see how the progression goes. I plan on putting in a lot of hours over a short time period.

I will say that the overall visibility is better with the bubble canopy on the low wing setup, but not being able to see straight down sure was different, especially during takeoff.
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

I still had a great time though.

So how long does it take to get use to the glass? I want to learn to fly with an all glass setup since that is the way everything is going but it sure is different.

You might ask your school to hook the plane to a charger, then you can work with the data system and gps on the ground no hobbs time.
drseti

Post by drseti »

High Altitude wrote:So how long does it take to get use to the glass?
Frankly, when I bought my plane I was adamant that I wanted a six-pack. I was familiar with that, had a good scan developed from decades as a CFII, and didn't want to change. I learned (as you have) that almost all of the modern LSAs are glass-panel equipped, so I had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century. It took me a couple of months to get comfortable with the glass (though my young students, who've been flying computer screens all their lives, had no problems at all).

One thing that can help a lot is to make sure that you're using the latest firmware. The dual Dynons I have in my plane had the old user interface, which I found awkward. When I upgraded to Rev. 5 dot something, everything got easier.

And, do spend some time with the manuals. I have the Dynon 100 and 120 manuals on my website for free download, as PDFs, from http://avsport.org/acft (scroll down the page to Avionics Manuals). If your Gobosh has something else, poke around the web and find the appropriate manuals. Studying them on the ground is a lot cheaper than learning them with the Hobbs meter spinning up dollars.

Finally, learn to fly the plane by outside visual reference only, with the glass turned off. Some day, when the technology fails, you'll be glad you practiced this.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

HA:

Your Q about becoming operational familiar with a glass panel display is a good one. There's been a fair bit of thoughtful discussion about this over at the Vans Air Force forum, including some pretty savvy contributions by a member who served for many years as one of NASA's Shuttle Flight Directors. (Paul worked the very last Shuttle flight...but is also published in GA periodicals regularly as well and flies two different types of RV's). You might start by reviewing the threads in the 'Glass' section, or use the advanced search function. AOPA and their safety organization, Air Safety Institute, also have some useful reading available if you are a member.

The bottom line seems to be that it takes dedicated effort to become functionally, intuitively familiar with a (new to you) glass panel across all phases of flight and in the mix of conditions one flies. I agree with Paul's comment about age-related differences but even for the young, the full range of the user interface - coupled with being able to use the displayed information effectively - has to be married with the ongoing task of flying the a/c. Personally, I think the suggestion to have some in-seat time with the a/c's system running, while working thru self-selected flight scenarios, is an excellent follow-up to manual study. After all, isn't that what we all find is necessary, after we review a software or O/S manual when using a computer?

You felt way behind the a/c and a bit overwhelmed? Very very normal, I'd say. Glad you enjoyed it!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

I was also convinced that I would stay with the standard six-pack of steam gauges, but then had an opportunity to transition to a Cirrus. I found it difficult. Jepp charts I had to scroll on a screen, an autopilot to program, as well as trying to figure out where the VSI (and the ball, etc) was overwhelming. Then I hand flew an ILS approach. Huge display for CDI and glideslope made it easy to stay on glidepath. It took me some time, but I'm in love with glass now. ...and I agree, learn to fly by looking OUTSIDE, the 'eye candy' in the cockpit WILL fail. It would be a real shame to pull the chute because you couldn't fly with just visual reference.
Dave
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

The system in the aircraft is the Garmin G3X Dual Panel display.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G3XElect ... sGuide.pdf

The gobosh has a 12 volt plug on the cowling so I think plugging it in on the ground to have some time to learn the glass won't be an issue. Great suggestion, I will ask.

I know this situation is going to be like when I learned how to type properly with out looking at the keys. :D
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

I am 4.4 hours into it, adapting well and feeling great. Spent today in the pattern doing T&Gs.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

High Altitude wrote: Truck handling 152
I never thought I'd see the 152 compared to a truck!

I think of it more as a kite!!

OK, maybe not quite a kite-like as some of the LSA's, but light and nimble nonetheless.

Oh, well. The perception is the reality! Good luck going forward.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

I never thought of a 152 like that until flying this LSA.

It is super responsive, but doesn't have the weight so gets blown around pretty easy and doesn't feel as stable. I have been flying at 9,000-9,800' density altitude (field) and I am very impressed with its take off/climb performance with two on board.

It isn't as easy to fly/land at first. I completely understand why there is such a large amount of accidents from GA pilots flying light sport aircraft with out adequate transition training. Very easy to over control.

FastEddieB wrote:
High Altitude wrote: Truck handling 152
I never thought I'd see the 152 compared to a truck!

I think of it more as a kite!!

OK, maybe not quite a kite-like as some of the LSA's, but light and nimble nonetheless.

Oh, well. The perception is the reality! Good luck going forward.
High Altitude

Post by High Altitude »

Well I soloed today.

I guess this would be my second first solo :D
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Wonderful.

I soloed at age 57. Took quite a few more hours, but have my PP certificate now. Am working on CFI-SP. Ditto on the difference between LSA and 152. I did 8 hours in a 152 and didn't like it.