Checkride scheduled - Any hints, tips?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Post by drseti »

The Sport Pilot practical test standards do discuss the preflight passenger briefing, but do not explicitly specify the LSA disclaimer:

B. TASK: COCKPIT MANAGEMENT (ASEL and ASES)
REFERENCES: FAA-H-8083-3; AFM/POH.
Objective. To determine that the applicant:

<snip>

3. Briefs occupant on the use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, and any other required safety equipment, doors, and emergency procedures.
Still, during the practical test, it's probably not a bad idea to throw in the airworthiness disclaimer. Shows the DPE that you are trying to exercise due dilligence.

Ref: http://www.AvSport.org/docs/PTS_sport.pdf
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Todd, with two weeks to go until your checkride, it's probably time to start thinking about what not to do. Here (from the PTS) are those items considered disqualifying:
The following are typical areas of unsatisfactory performance and grounds for disqualification.
1. Any action or lack of action by the applicant that requires corrective intervention by the examiner to maintain safe flight.
2. Failure to use proper and effective visual scanning techniques to clear the area before and while performing maneuvers.
3. Consistently exceeding tolerances stated in the Objectives.
4. Failure to take prompt corrective action when tolerances are exceeded.
The take-home message is that not everything you do need be perfect. But, if anything is not up to snuff, you need to recognize that, and either take immediate corrective action or ask to repeat the maneuver.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bryancobb

ONLY Failure I know of....

Post by bryancobb »

The O N L Y persons I have ever known to flunk an initial (SPORT or PRIVATE) checkride, flunked because the DPE said the first guy NEVER looked outside or did a single clearing turn before a maneuver. The other examiner told me that the second guy was so incompetent and didn't have a clue, that he should never get any kind of pilot's license.
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

I have to thank you guys for all the replies, as they are very helpful. I've already started briefing my CFI as we begin lessons, but will be more comprehensive about it now, including the fire extinguisher, air-vents, etc. Nice!

Objectively, I can say that I fly pretty safely. I hope this doesn't sound cocky. The flying aspect of the checkride isn't really concerning me except for ten seconds, from roundout to touchdown. I've been saying this for a month or two now. The landings are pretty good, just that with the temps rising and the winds and thermals, you never know. Tolerances are always met and are conciously observed. Shoot, I have my steep turns within 20 ft altitude change now. The plane is always trimmed and my CFI likes to have fun with me and tells me to take my hands off the controls to see how well it's trimmed. Maneuvers and stalls are, well, let me say, not tremendously challenging. Really, as I said in the first post, the oral has me more concerned at this point. Just studying and hammering home a lot of good info for the checkride and beyond.

Overall, I think I'm ready and trying to go into the checkride with a humble confidence and looking at it as a fun, learning experience that ends with a hand shake! Easy to say two weeks out...

Again, thank you all for help and experience.

Todd
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jon V wrote:if the plane has a special airworthiness certificate (pink) you've always got to inform passengers of that fact.
Found it! The relevant FAR is 91.327 (e):
Each person operating an aircraft issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category must advise each person carried of the special nature of the aircraft and that the aircraft does not meet the airworthiness requirements for an aircraft issued a standard airworthiness certificate.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
robert9999

checkride

Post by robert9999 »

I think Im pretty set on everything, but my shortfield landings are probabaly 50/50. Any hints would be appreciated.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The key to a successful short-field landing is airspeed control. If you can learn the correct approach airspeed, and nail it exactly, the landing will pretty much take care of itself. Trim so the plane holds the proper descent airspeed with hands off the stick, and you won't have to fixate on the airspeed indicator.

Depending on the airplane, I like to approach with full flaps, behind the power curve, and with just a touch of power (which I chop in the flare). That gives your steepest descent, without picking up airspeed, which in turn helps with obstacle clearance, and allows you to touch down at the slowest possible speed, as near as possible to the runway threshold.

Go practice - I'm sure you'll do fine.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
NismoRR

Post by NismoRR »

First off, I want to thank all you guys and this forum in general for all the helpful info, tips, and friendly discussions. At the beginning of February, I knew relatively nothing about flight training and the Sport Pilot certification...

That said, I'm thrilled to say that yesterday I passed my checkride and am now a Sport Pilot!! Still sinking in. Amazing, exhilarating , frustrating, life changing are the first words to come to mind. I'll post a review over the weekend.

Just wanted to thank you all. This forum is an integral place for any aspiring Sport Pilot.

Todd
SSDriver

Post by SSDriver »

Todd,
WAY TO GO!!!! Very inspiring and look forward to hearing more about the checkride when you have time.

Congrats! :mrgreen:
Drew
PP-ASEL
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

Very cool. Anyone who completes their ticket has a lot to be proud of. It's no small feat...Congrats!
Sport Pilot
goinaround

Post by goinaround »

:D :D :D :D :D :D
drseti

Post by drseti »

Todd, we're all proud of you! Now, go forth and fly frequently, and safely.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

NismoRR wrote:That said, I'm thrilled to say that yesterday I passed my checkride and am now a Sport Pilot!! Still sinking in. Amazing, exhilarating , frustrating, life changing are the first words to come to mind. I'll post a review over the weekend.
Congratulations and welcome to your new life of flying.
-- Pete
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

Awesome! Congratulations.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Congrats Nismo!!!