Going to a flight school far away-Who has time for that?

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Going to a flight school far away-Who has time for that?

Post by N918KT »

I've noticed that on this forum, some members who are CFIs offer other members who are student pilots to come over to their flight school that's hundreds of miles away in another state, perhaps close to a thousand miles away.

I remember once that I was talking something about the Piper Vagabond and other Piper Cubs a few months back and one member perhaps Cub Flyer (I forgot who it was exactly), invited me to come to his flight school in central PA I think to do some tailwheel training.
I was happy somewhat that he has offered me it, but I thought to myself-how do I have the time to do flight training thats a few hundred miles away and stay there for a few weeks or more, when I'm a college student? Around my age of being a college student, I have almost no time to drive 300 miles to a flight school and stay there for a few weeks, especially during the school year. Well maybe in the summer time but this summer I might be working more hours and taking summer courses in college. Yet I would still want to do flight training that's close to home.

So, doing flight training that's far away from home and staying for a few weeks at a time-who has time for that?
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

I have the time. I don't think it's a great idea for other reasons (specifically the risk of weather or the like taking out your plans) but time is not the problem. My remuneration includes 24 vacation days and 9 or 10 holidays a year. Plenty of time for a multi-week training session plus some vacation.

A lot of people in the education realm (student and teacher) face extended summer breaks that could be used for training.

In some fields getting extended leaves of absence for training is relatively easy.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: Money. For me, I believe that I have enough money to get up to just somewhat over the minimum hrs for Sport Pilot. But spending that money so fast and so quick, makes me think twice about going to a faraway flight school.
Flyboyz

Post by Flyboyz »

why go to far away airports when you have few schools in NJ itself?
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I didn't mean that I will do flight training far away from home. I'm just questioning that how do other people have the time and money to go to a faraway flight school for a few weeks.

I'm wondering what kind of demographics are the ones that do have time and money for faraway flight training.
Flyboyz

Post by Flyboyz »

well, given the way some flight schools rips the students off, its not surprising to see few people travel miles to get their training done.....
Jon V

Post by Jon V »

I suspect the primary demographic is this:

Male
Age 45-65
Education: some college or higher
Individual income > $65,000/yr if working, or > $40k/yr if retired.
Homeowner
Has 3+ major credit cards
etc...

I suspect most simply charge the whole thing to a credit card, tell their boss they are taking a 2 week vacation, and treat it the same way they would a trip to Europe or a cruise.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Sure, if you want to fly an old Cessna there is a flight school just about everywhere.

There are much less schools with LSA planes.
Also, LSA airplanes are so different... compare a CT, Evektor, PiperSport, Remos, SkyArrow, and Cub.
All very different planes.

I'll drive & stay a few days at a time for the right instructor, plane, or specialty that I want to learn.
In fact, I'd make it a point to go to different flight schools for different experience.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
bshort

Post by bshort »

I think in the long run that the money spent in lodging and food would be less than continually renting a plane and CFI over and over to cover material lost with training gaps.

One could stay in a motel 6 or the like and eat Taco Bell cheaper than making up 4 hour of flight time.
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote: LSA airplanes are so different... compare a CT, Evektor, PiperSport, Remos, SkyArrow, and Cub. All very different planes.
Actually, having flown them both, I maintain that the Evektor and the PiperSport fly very much alike. Ditto the Remos and the CT. Similarly, the Cub and the Aeronca Champ fly pretty much the same.

When the LSA rule first came out, aircraft were divided into a bunch of different "sets." Aircraft with similar flight characteristics were grouped together, and anyone changing sets had to get training in the new one. With the rewrite that went into effect last April, FAA eliminated the "sets" and went to category and class, just as is done for private pilots and above (one important difference being that the Sport Pilot can add a new category and class with flight training and a logbook endorsement).

That said, your point is well taken: there is a wide difference between the various LSAs. Flying a bunch of different ones can only make you a better pilot.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

bshort wrote:One could stay in a motel 6 or the like and eat Taco Bell cheaper than making up 4 hour of flight time.
Taco Bell? How extravagant! Most of my students eat off the Burger King dollar menu...

We have an available motorhome for rent on my airport, for a student who wants to come in for a few days and get lodging on the cheap. And, although there's no courtesy car, I've been known to lend the occasional student one of my motorcycles for the duration. (Hint: bring your own helmet.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Kevin, the concept may not fit for you...or it may fit perfectly when summer arrives, given that you have found a way to afford flight training while also attending college. Often, the critical issue isn't expense (hard tho' that is to believe) so much as time (and timing). E.g. an 'IFR Ticket in 10 Days' program has been operating for decades now, despite the travel and living expenses required of the student by such a program. It even morphed into a spin-off program where the instructor comes to the student for IFR training - perhaps a savings on the flying side of things if the student owns a plane, but obviously living and flight expenses that must now must be paid on behalf of the instructor.

It's pretty typical for most students-to-be to think about flight training as essentially a commodity: Go the local field, sign up for the program, and buy the training hours needed to get the job done. But as you know from reading some of the other threads here, not all instructors, training aircraft or instructional programs are created equal. Personal hunch: I'd bet a well-organized flight syllabus, an effective instructor and sufficient training aircraft to avoid downtime could save a student 20% of the cost of learning to fly. And such a program doesn't have to be the most expensive one, in the first place.

The real value of a good flight training program, as I see it, is not the license itself but the foundation it creates in understanding the various aspects of aviation - from how the plane works to how the entire system works. I've had instructors that were at somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum: from one who was honestly afraid to fly (BTW that also is an accurate description of the person who gave me my IFR check-ride) to one who flew military, corporate and private a/c professionally. I would pitch a tent and suffer the intestinal indignities of a MacDonalds to get the education the latter CFII offered, as I got a great deal more than just a rating.

My points are these: Some people make choices based on what they value, not just what they can afford...and you may not get what you paid for with a cheap price, but you might get more than you paid for with a reasonable price.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I see, Jack. Thanks for your insight!