Another Question About Solo Cross-Country Requirement

Sport aviation is growing rapidly. But the new sport pilot / light-sport aircraft rules are still a mystery to many flight schools and instructors. To locate a flight school offering sport pilot training and/or light-sport aircraft rentals, click on the "Flight School And Rental Finder" tab above. This is a great place to share ideas on learning to fly, flight schools, costs and anything else related to training.

Moderator: drseti

zdc

Re: Another Question About Solo Cross-Country Requirement

Post by zdc »

drseti wrote:
zdc wrote:The CFI's are confused about the requirements for the Sport x cntry requirements.
That's because the FARs are deliberately ambiguous (and the FAA likes to issue letters of interpretation in response to queries). Most flight schools or flight instructors set their own standards, which tend to be higher than the required minimums. After all, you should be striving for excellence, not merely satisfying the licensing requirements.

If there's any chance that the student will be wanting to move up to Private Pilot later, I recommend that he or she do the Private Pilot requirement of a 3-leg XC with one 50 nm leg. But even if you're only a Sport Pilot candidate, it's not a bad plan to fly a triangle (with correspondingly shorter legs). I also prefer (as do most CFIs) that my solo XC students go to airports they've never flown to before. That gives them a chance to master the skills needed to fly to unfamiliar airports as PIC.
That is a nice idea except Private x cntry requires one of the landings be done at an airport with an operating control tower which would require additional training. In addition the length of the x cntry has been doubled, incurring even more expense.If schools are going to add on to the minimum requirements for sport they are losing credabilty as a less expensive way to achieve an airman certificate.
drseti

Re: Another Question About Solo Cross-Country Requirement

Post by drseti »

zdc wrote:If schools are going to add on to the minimum requirements for sport they are losing credabilty as a less expensive way to achieve an airman certificate.
Correct. Remember, I was talking about Sport Pilot candidates who are planning to continue on for their Private at a later date. Adding the Class D training, and doing the long XC, during Sport Pilot training will actually save them money in the long run, while only adding slightly to their Sport Pilot costs. This is not necessarily right for everybody! However, it's something I try to mention to the student. He or she will then decide whether it's appropriate.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul Hamilton wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: In theory you could do the cross country and never get more than 12.5 miles from your home field. Just make sure you have 75 mile total distance measured from airport to airport, one straight line segment of 25 miles, and 2 take offs and landings. That's what the regs say you need, but I have never heard of anyone having a problem with having more than is required. Tom
Tom and all.
SORRY we have another very well hidden regulation in 61.1 b 3 (easy to miss i must add). Sport pilots MUST go more than 12.5 miles from the origional/home airport based on this:

61.1 highlights:

(3) Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight—

(iii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for a sport pilot certificate (except for powered parachute privileges), time acquired during a flight conducted in an appropriate aircraft that—

(A) Includes a point of landing at least a straight line distance of more than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(B) Involves, as applicable, the use of dead reckoning; pilotage; electronic navigation aids; radio aids; or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

Private is simular if anybody cares.
I knew that, but forgot trying to make a point.
scottj

Cross Country Length

Post by scottj »

I agree with the idea to fly longer solo cross countries. Once airborne, how long does it take to fly an extra 25 miles? About 10 minutes or so... by not doing it now you have to repeat the entire, longer, flight at a later date. Save yourself some training dollars and do it sooner rather than later.

Pick a field with a nice restaurant and enjoy the day.

Scott
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com