LSA vs Certified Exp

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

LSA vs Certified Exp

Post by Atrosa »

I see many LSAs that have been converted to EXP. But why don't I ever see certified converted?
3Dreaming

Re: LSA vs Certified Exp

Post by 3Dreaming »

The experimental category choices that are available for standard category aircraft basically make the airplane unusable for any practical purposes. With restrictions like only required flight crew members and geographical limitations.
drseti

Post by drseti »

What Tom said. A certified aircraft can never be converted to ELSA, because it didn't start out as an SLSA. It can't become an Experimental Amateur Built, because you didn't do 51% of the construction. Experimental R&D is possible, but your operating limits would spell out the specific research project you are limited to. Experimental Exhibition would limit you to demonstrations at airshows. Experimenral Air Racing would limit you to Reno and the Red Bull races. If your mission is transportation or fun flying, none of these options seem attractive.

I discussed this a bit in my recent webinar "Fast Track to Experimental." Video online at:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/elsa.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Got it. Thank you. The key here is ELSA is its different category than EAB.
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

Dr. Paul,

I watched your video on the converting SLSA to ELSA and wanted to thank you for the segment at the end showing the Skycatcher. I own N3037T and love it. It flies very nice, stable, good power, and great avionics. Cessna certainly has left the aircraft to die. :evil: . Some parts are still available through Textron but cost is ridiculous even for aircraft. I ordered a landing light cover, took six months! Upgrade kit for auto pilot is not longer available but you can purchase the bits and pieces at a much higher price. :x
The long and short of this of this is, I too will be going ELSA. I have decided to keep my aircraft for the long term and really don't care about any drop in value from SLSA to ELSA. Technology is improving, making GA safer, though providing pilots information that enables them to make good decisions, traffic, weather, and GPS navigation are examples of benefits. Cessna has handcuffed Skycatcher owners to 2011 and there is no options like certified aircraft have to upgrade SLSA without LOA (Cessna says don't bother, the answer is NO) or service bulletins (Don't hold your breath!).
I would like to reach out to other Skycatcher owners and share information on how to keep this fantastic LSA flying well into the future. :)

Again, Thank you Paul,

Randall Bearden
Sport Pilot
LSRM -A
Skycatcher Owner
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

I think you will find just as many people think a ELSA is worth a premium as folks who think the opposite.
I would pay more for an ELSA.
Dave
N601XP ELSA
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I also would pay more for an E-LSA. :mrgreen:
Type47

Post by Type47 »

As would I
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
drseti

Post by drseti »

Those who convert an SLSA to ELSA must agree. They typically pay a DAR somewhere between $700 and $1000 to do the airworthiness inspection and paperwork.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:Those who convert an SLSA to ELSA must agree. They typically pay a DAR somewhere between $700 and $1000 to do the airworthiness inspection and paperwork.
I converted back in 2016 and here in Florida it cost me $400 and a few hours of my time.

Today's value? Priceless. :mrgreen:

But to Paul's point it costs money to convert and it can be a headache with some DAR's I've heard. Once over that hurdle it opens up many new doors and that in itself has added value. It's not for everyone but I find more and more owners are doing it these days. Especially the SportCruiser owners since there is no such thing as an LOA/MRA from the manufacturer. :shock:
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

I was seriously investigating this within the last two weeks and I found:

1 DAR in Georgia $500
1 DAR in North Carolina $1200
2nd DAR in North Carolina $500
Type47

Post by Type47 »

I had mine done by a Dar in Iowa.
$550 and about 1 hour.
My annual was only 1 month old, so the inspection was cursory.
Mostly paperwork, easier than getting a LOA from Tecnam.
Operating limitations are broad and simple.
That day was almost as exhilarating as my first solo.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

That's how easy mine was as well, my condition inspection was barely 2 weeks old when the DAR did my inspection for the E-LSA conversion. It does speed things up a bit as the DAR at least knows the plane just passed it's checkup and is more or less in a safe condition for flight. He spent way more time looking at my 3 logbooks than the aircraft. Actually going page by page through the plane, engine and prop logbooks.

That day WAS as exhilarating as my first solo. Flew home with a big grin on my face knowing I was finally free from "the man". :mrgreen:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:I also would pay more for an E-LSA. :mrgreen:
Well, as FastEddie pointed out in another thread, you may get better quality and care with the owner doing his/her own basic maintenance than relying on "certified" workforce but ultimately there is no substitute for actual, honest to God inspection - you just never know until you look under the hood.

If I were in the market for a plane, I would certainly entertain ELSA options as well but I would also like to know the reason behind the switch and would most likely spend more time looking for anything "out of place" ( and I don't necessarily mean expecting to find this -> https://turb.aero/ instead of good old Rotax ) but more mundane and every day stuff.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I second the THOROUGH inspection. This should be done whether buying a S-LSA or E-LSA. If you are not familiar with the plane PLEASE find someone who is. You may not know what you are even looking for. Also, having someone who is familiar with the make/model of the plane will know the "gotchas" for that plane and can point them out. Also, don't use the sellers LSRM or A&P, find an independant one who doesn't know your seller. Two sets of eyes are better than one when doing a prebuy. You can look at the POH and see the manufacturer's equipment list that came with the plane and compare that to what's in it now, if it's been converted to E-LSA the standard equipment might have been changed. Who did the work? Go through the logs PAGE BY PAGE and question anything you are not familiar with.

I certainly feel I provide better quality maintenance and care than just any ole LSRM. After all it's my butt in the seat, oh, and it's my plane. :mrgreen: