My Sky Arrow ADSB solution

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: My Sky Arrow ADSB solution

Post by drseti »

You mounted it correctly for your particular plane, Eddie. It matches the engine, which is also mounted the wrong way.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I have to take a moment to brag on my plane a little.

I can have my panel disconnected and on my bench in about 10 minutes:

That makes things SO much easier to work on than any plane I’ve ever worked on.

For instance, tapping into my transponder breaker was trivially easy - it’s the middle one on the bottom row:

Now to just throw things back together and hope for the best!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I know the antenna "looks" good for that location and hopefully you won't see any issues with it there but be advised, you might have some issues with that location. Here's why as the install guidelines for that antenna recommends: (among other things)

1. mount the antenna as close to level as possible. it's at a pretty good angle there.
2. in a location that minimizes airframe shadowing. with it tipped forward you might have shadowing issues from the rear.
3. to maintain a constant gain pattern and limit degradation by the windscreen it should be mounted no closer than 3 inches from the windscreen.

Now I can't see how far it is from the windscreen with the canopy open, the other issues could possibly cause some problems. You won't really know until you pull a PAPR report. I'd do this often the first month, maybe every flight.

For me and my GDL-82, I mounted my antenna in a similar location and had shadowing issues and was failing one to two PAPR reports out of five I pulled in the first week or so of testing. I would have recommended installing the ADS-B fail annunciator light. This will help you to know if you have issues in flight while doing the required maneuvers for the test, and any other time it fails for any other reason. That first week or so I moved my antenna per Garmin to the top of my plane and not failed one PAPR report since. All have been perfect and it works flawlessly.

When you mounted the antenna I know you mentioned about a ground plane and installed some foil or something. Keep in mind the antenna itself is grounded through the mounting hardware. I'd at least add a wire to one of the mounting screws with a ring terminal and run it to your ground bus.

I hope you have no issues but I experienced some growing pains with my GDL-82 antenna location right after the install while testing the unit but since I moved it it's been a great unit and works better than I expected.
proemer

Post by proemer »

Eddy -- it would be very interesting to see how the GPS antenna does. I have 2 (actually 3 on the latest count) very cheap hobby GPS modules mounted in roughly similar locations and they all seem to work well. They also lock on to a position faster than the panel mounted Garmin.

I'd guess that the transponder antenna mounting might be more critical... but that's only a guess.

I'll be going through the same install in my own Sky Arrow in a few months... so thanks for being the test airplane!

Pete
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Thanks for all the input.

I had the foresight to order my GPS cable with a right angle TNC connector for the antenna. But reassembling the panel, there was still interference with the case of the Dynon D10A which was longer than I remembered. So I had to move the mount forward, and figured I’d use the opportunity to put it in its correct orientation:

If you look closely, it’s a little crooked - there was still some interference with the Dynon. Next time I have the panel out I’m going to insert some spacers at the front to both buy me a little more clearance and to get the antenna closer to level.

I also stole one of Karen’s brownie pans for a ground plane:

I have no separate ground for the antenna. If there’s a problem, easy to go back and add one. Power and ground to the unit taken care of, piggy-backing the power off the existing 5A transponder breaker.

Only 1” canopy clearance. Right now, it’s pretty much a matter of programming testing it and testing it and then fine-tuning if need be.

To be continued.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Programming done.

I’m pretty worthless with Windows, and it took the tech-savvy brother of my friend to get the Garmin install program running properly and recognizing my unit. But once it did, the process was straightforward.

Showed 2 faults, but they seemed to resolve themselves:

If rain holds off may do the test flight tomorrow around Knoxville.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I installed one in my Warrior a couple weeks ago. pretty straight forward on the install and programming. I did my flight in Evansville class C airspace. I also combined it with my son's night cross country, plus .8 hood time while maneuvering and the trip home. So ADS-B validation flight, 1.9 nighttime logged for my son, night cross country completed, and .8 hood time. Passed with all green, and approved for the rebate.

On a side note all the rebates were reserved back in May, but they were allowing rebates that expired to be put back out for re-reservation. I was lucky enough to get one of those rebates right at the end of September.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Got up a little while ago before the rain moved in and did a big circle around KTYS in Knoxville.

Approach confirmed they were receiving my ADSB Out, and on landing I submitted my flight to the FAA for a Performance Review. Within 10 minutes I got an email with the report and nothing highlighted in red. Woo Hoo!

I usually expect things like this not to work at first and require troubleshooting - it seemed like a lot of little “it should work” fudges but glad it worked first time out.

Thanks for the help and support!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think if you don't have any faults when connected to the computer your chances of have a good in flight evaluation are good. I have not done the research so I'm not sure what paperwork needs to be completed for a ELSA, but it took me a day to get the 337 and Flight Manual Supplement done for my Warrior.
drseti

Post by drseti »

For those curious about what Eddie's validation flight looked like:
Screenshot_20191229-155454_FlightAware.jpg
Screenshot_20191229-155454_FlightAware.jpg (186.35 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

And, for the benefit of those who navigate by roadmap:
Screenshot_20191229-155716_FlightAware.jpg
Screenshot_20191229-155716_FlightAware.jpg (205.03 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
proemer

Post by proemer »

Very good!

Pete
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

That FlightAware track is cool!

For those interested, the little loop was a bit of vectoring so as not to interfere with a KingAir on final. The controllers were very polite and accomodating as is usually the case 'round these here parts!

And for my edification - and maybe for others as well - how do you go about getting that track?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Just enter the N number into FlightAware. They can display pretty much any ADS-B Out acft that's not in anonymous mode.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:I have not done the research so I'm not sure what paperwork needs to be completed for a ELSA, but it took me a day to get the 337 and Flight Manual Supplement done for my Warrior.
I don’t think there are any paperwork requirements once EXPERIMENTAL.

That said, I try to keep good records. In this case a logbook entry for the installation, listing the equipment part numbers and serial numbers and locations where installed. Then a second to revise the W & B. I’ll print out the FAA verification and keep it on file, and that’s about it.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]