LSA vs Certified Exp

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

LSA vs Certified Exp

Postby Atrosa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:20 am

I see many LSAs that have been converted to EXP. But why don't I ever see certified converted?

3Dreaming

Re: LSA vs Certified Exp

Postby 3Dreaming » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:34 am

The experimental category choices that are available for standard category aircraft basically make the airplane unusable for any practical purposes. With restrictions like only required flight crew members and geographical limitations.

drseti

Postby drseti » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:40 am

What Tom said. A certified aircraft can never be converted to ELSA, because it didn't start out as an SLSA. It can't become an Experimental Amateur Built, because you didn't do 51% of the construction. Experimental R&D is possible, but your operating limits would spell out the specific research project you are limited to. Experimental Exhibition would limit you to demonstrations at airshows. Experimenral Air Racing would limit you to Reno and the Red Bull races. If your mission is transportation or fun flying, none of these options seem attractive.

I discussed this a bit in my recent webinar "Fast Track to Experimental." Video online at:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/elsa.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Atrosa

Postby Atrosa » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:14 pm

Got it. Thank you. The key here is ELSA is its different category than EAB.

Return to “Experimenter's Corner”