Has anyone here flown a Evektor Sport Star?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Corsair Ace

Has anyone here flown a Evektor Sport Star?

Post by Corsair Ace »

Has anyone here flown the Evektor Sport Star? If you have, can you please give me a Pilot Report on the plane, or provide one from someone else if you know someone that has flown one. I'm trying to help a friend that need a PIREP on this airplane, she is thinking about flying one and wants to know what to expect before flying it. Thanks in advance.

Lee
oldsportpilot

Flying the Evektor Sportstar

Post by oldsportpilot »

I have about 55 hours in Sportstars, both the model with the fuel in the fuselage, and the newer "plus" model with the fuel in the wings and an extra 55 lbs of useful load.

The Sporstar has no real vices. It accelerates fast on takeoff, and requires attention to right rudder to keep it on the centerline. A climbing left turn needs some right rudder to keep the ball centered. Landings are straightforward, although be careful about the advice in the POH to use 48 kts on final with a 50 degree flap setting. In this configuration the Sportstar glides about like a grand piano and you must be vigilant to avoid getting into a very rapid rate of descent. I found it easier to use 55 kts and 30 degrees flap. I know of two flight schools that recommend 55 kts on final as a routine.

Another thing to watch for is braking after touchdown. The wheels are close together, and it is easy to skitter about the runway with uncautious braking. On final, add to your mental checklist the phrase "feet off the brakes".

Crosswind landings are easy in the Sportstar because visibility in the flare is so good. I prefer staying in a wings-level crab on final and establishing the slip to align with the runway only at the last second. The winds a few feet off the ground, in my experience, are usually (not always) rather different from those a few hundred feet up. YMMV.

The Sportstar is a great airplane. Its reactions to control inputs are predictable and rapid, and it is great fun to fly. Enjoy!

PS: I am not a Sportstar dealer or CFI.
Corsair Ace

Post by Corsair Ace »

Thanks oldsportpilot.

Lee
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

My first 50 or so hours of instruction were in a Sportstar. Ditto everything that oldsportpilot said. A very good pilot report. As old said, the brakes are a bit tricky and require some thought in order not to abuse them. The bubble top can get very hot in the summer. Workmanship appears first rate, and from what I could pick up from my instructor, minimal to no mechanical problems other than repairing student brake abuse.

The Sportstar is the only plane that has ever given me the almost mythical feeling of being on the back of a giant bird, holding it's reins. Kind of corny, but a very neat feeling.

I currently own a CTSW, which I really like for a different set of reasons, but I will still always have a good feeling for a Sportstar.
flyboyjim

Evektor Sports Star

Post by flyboyjim »

I have about 16 hours in the Evektor and have taken all my lessons in the upgraded version with the wing tanks. I also mirror the comments previously made on the list. A very predictible handling airplane with a nice cruise - about 115 kts. Incredible visability from the bubble cockpit and quite a bit of headroom. I am 6' 4" and fit comfortably. The plane flies like it is on rails. the nose wheel steering is a bit twitchy on landing and requires very little input. Overall a nice airplane.
________
Lexus Is
Last edited by flyboyjim on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeproctor

Post by mikeproctor »

I've got a little over 50 hours in the sportstar. I really like it but it's the only plane I've flown so I don't have much to compare it to. I found this last night and tried it in FSX. I didn't spend much time with it but it seems cool. Here's the link, look for EV97 (should be the first file):

http://files.fsnordic.net/Flight_Simula ... /index.php
westwindsportstar

Post by westwindsportstar »

I have owned a Sportstar for over a year and have been a Evektor Flight Center. We have about 600hrs on our Sportstar and it is used in a flight school. I have flown and worked on and off for 15ys as a commercial pilot and CFI and have flown most GA aircraft. I have found that this is one of my all time favorite airplanes.

The closest aircraft that I can compare it to for flying qualities is probably the Gruman Cheetah. It is a very nice flying aircraft. It has a decent roll rate and is just a joy to throw around the sky, requires very little rudder to keep the ball centered and the controls are for the most part nicely balanced, although the pitch is a bit more responsive than the roll. I have flown quite a few of the new LSAs and find this to be one of the better handling aircraft out there.

While the airplane can be very fun to throw around the sky it has very forgiving flight characteristics, as I said we use it as a trainer and and it takes ham-fisted student abuse and never does anything suprising. I find that if anything it is easier to learn to fly in than the good old Cessna 150.
Stalls are a bit more pronounced than in the Cessnas which I find to be a good thing as a stall in a Cessna is pretty much a non-event, and something a bit more pronounced tends to teach the student better. While not approved for spins here it has been spin certified in the U.K. so I don't worry too much if a student does spin it.

Slow flight is great, ailerons are still very effective, and in fact work very well down into the stall as well. Flies around in Steep turns like its on rails.
Landings are pretty nice as well, very easy to get the nose up into that nice full stall attitude for touchdown. She will tend to float a bit on landing if your speed is a bit high, (that wing is awful close to ground, so any excess speed will really cause a lot of float). Easy to remedy though, just use full flaps and keep it no faster than 55kts.

For short field landings full flaps and 55kts on final slowing to 48kts over the fence. If you get much below 48kts it will pick up a bit of a sink rate but nothing like the old Cherokee 140s. The gear is a bit stiff though so you will work a little harder to get that really smooth greaser type landing.
Handles crosswinds very well which is a bit of a surprise since I think the rudder could be a bit more effective. I am more comfortable flying this in a nasty x-wind than I am in our 172 or 150 for sure.

Take-offs are very quick, it seems like your only on the ground for about 7 seconds. Climb rates will of course vary wildly with tempture and weight, but at gross wt in the summer we see an honest 650-800FPM, lighter weights and or cooler temps will see in the 1000FPM range.
Cruise speeds are around 100-105kts, maybe a little more if your light.

Workmanship is as good as anything on the market, and that includes Cessna & Piper. It is very easy to work on, our mechanic was doing 100hr inspection in 5-6hrs. Cockpit layout is very nice, with most buttons laid our similar to what you would find in a standard American GA aircraft. We have no problem for renters and students going back and forth between this and our Cessnas.

Cockpit is roomier than our 172 or 150, students love the great visibility with the canopy, which I do not find to be any hotter than our Cessnas in the summer.(That little sun shade works like a charm)

Anything I don't like? I don't like the electric trim (I mean its a 1200lb airplane not a Cessna 421). The carb heat knob is over on far left side of the panel which requires you to switch hands off the stick to use it. The nose wheel steering is just a bit more sensitive than I would like.

Thats all that I can honestly complain about as far as the design gos. It could be a bit faster but its as fast as our 160hp 172 and easily outclimbs it, so that is really not that bad for a 100hp engine.

Problems that we have had with the Sportstar, minor brake issues, replaced a trim relay and the SB on the Fuel Pump for the 912 last year. Oh yeah the tires and tubes are not so great, have replaced all three.

So yeah I must admit to being a bit biased towards the Sportstar because I own one and its been a great airplane and has held up well to our flight training abuse. The other nice thing about it is that there are more of these out there in flight schools than any other brand and I would be willing to bet there are more hours on the Sportstar fleet than any of the other LSAs so its easy to track down the people using them and find out what the deal is and how well they are holding up.

Anyone who would like more info on our experiences can feel free to e-mail me.
westwindsportstar

Post by westwindsportstar »

Pictures of our Sportstar
[img]
http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o202 ... ics065.jpg[/img]
Spatch8199

My short flight experience

Post by Spatch8199 »

I only have 37 1/2 hours of flight time toward my private pilot's license all in the Evektor SportStar. I have found it to be very forgiving in the air.

However when landing make sure you KEEP YOUR FEET OFF THE B R A K E S UNTIL YOU GET IT UNDER CONTROL!! !! !!

I didn't one time and we almost made a right angle left turn into the fueling pumps. That made my instructor very unhappy. Fortunetately we were able to keep it on the runway and slow down and turn around to get back to the hanger. With the close coupling of the wheels you really need to have a light touch. Other than that, I love flying the little beggar. I also love the Rotax 912ULS engine and wish they would make bigger engines for Cessna, Piper, etc.
drseti

Just bought one!

Post by drseti »

I just bought a SportStar Plus last week for use in my new LSA flight school, AvSport of Lock Haven (http://AvSport.org). Haven't even taken delivery yet, as I'm having the vortex generator mod installed to up the max gross to the 1320 pound S-LSA limit, and upgrading the nav/com to a Garmin SL-30. I do, however, have about 1.5 hours of test flight time in the bird, and am very impressed.

I checked out several other LSAs (including the Gobosh 700S and the CZAW Sport Cruiser) before deciding on the SportStar. It's almost as if it were designed for the primary training mission (most of my primary instructing over the past 30 years has been in 150/152/172, Beech Skipper, Piper Tomahawk, and Cherokee 140 type planes - this acft just FEELS better).

I am having trouble coming up with a reliable set of specs to put up on my own website. The info I find on the web is pretty inconsistent, and some of it is downright wrong. The Evektor website isn't much help, as they only list specs for the SportStar Max, which is a different entity altogether. Any suggestions as to a good spec sheet will be greatly appreciated.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
oldsportpilot

Re: Just bought one!

Post by oldsportpilot »

drseti wrote:Haven't even taken delivery yet, as I'm having the vortex generator mod installed to up the max gross to the 1320 pound S-LSA limit
Are you sure that the VG's are all that are needed to get to 1320#? Does Evektor approve of this mod to the Plus model? LSA's need to have the manufacturer's approval for any modification.
drseti

Post by drseti »

oldsportpilot wrote:Are you sure that the VG's are all that are needed to get to 1320#?
That, and replacing the wheelbarrow tire on the nosewheel with a full-sized aircraft tire, plus updating the placards, POH, and wt/bal sheet.
oldsportpilot wrote:Does Evektor approve of this mod to the Plus model? LSA's need to have the manufacturer's approval for any modification.
Absolutely true. Evektor released Information Bulletin SportStar 011b on 22 June 2009, authorizing the mod. You can find the document online at http://www.evektor.cz/pdf/support/bulle ... 11b_EN.pdf. Evektor USA at Melbourne International Airport will supply a full kit; they require you to supply the acft s/n. Installation requires an A&P (or possibly IA?) signoff.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
grevesz

Post by grevesz »

drseti wrote:I just bought a SportStar Plus last week for use in my new LSA flight school, AvSport of Lock Haven (http://AvSport.org). Haven't even taken delivery yet, as I'm having the vortex generator mod installed to up the max gross to the 1320 pound S-LSA limit, and upgrading the nav/com to a Garmin SL-30. I do, however, have about 1.5 hours of test flight time in the bird, and am very impressed.

I checked out several other LSAs (including the Gobosh 700S and the CZAW Sport Cruiser) before deciding on the SportStar. It's almost as if it were designed for the primary training mission (most of my primary instructing over the past 30 years has been in 150/152/172, Beech Skipper, Piper Tomahawk, and Cherokee 140 type planes - this acft just FEELS better).

I am having trouble coming up with a reliable set of specs to put up on my own website. The info I find on the web is pretty inconsistent, and some of it is downright wrong. The Evektor website isn't much help, as they only list specs for the SportStar Max, which is a different entity altogether. Any suggestions as to a good spec sheet will be greatly appreciated.

Safe skies,
Paul
Please join the Yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evektor_sportstar) where you probably find the information you are requesting. Hopefully much more!

Gabor
designrs

Post by designrs »

Watch that your feet, and those of your passenger / instructor / co-pilot
do not cross over to the rudder controls on the other side of the plane!
This has caused "mishaps".
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:Watch that your feet, and those of your passenger / instructor / co-pilot
do not cross over to the rudder controls on the other side of the plane!
This has caused "mishaps".
Not just mishaps, accidents! Yes, I'm well aware of this potential safety hazard (though I do appreciate the words of caution). Evektor has issued a Service Bulletin for installation of a barrier between the pilot's RH and copilot's LH rudder pedals. It's online at http://www.evektor.com/pdf/support/bull ... arrier.pdf. I fully intend to comply with this optional mod.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US