What is a Light-sport aircraft?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Paul Hamilton

What is a Light-sport aircraft?

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Common question simple answer:

A new category of aircraft the FAA was allowed that is simple, lightweight and less expensive to own and operate. This is any single-engine, piston-powered aircraft under 1,320 lbs max gross weight. They may be Fixed Wing (traditional airplane), Weight- Shift Control (trikes), Powered Parachutes Gyroplanes, gliders and balloons. The pilot may carry one passenger. The maximum speed is 138 mph (120 knots) full power level flight, have fixed landing gear and a fixed propeller.

The detailed official definition from FAA Title 14 Part 1 (FAR) is:

{New-2004-17 "Light-sport aircraft" added July 27, 2004, effective September 1, 2004}
Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:
(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than--
(i) 660 pounds (300 kilograms) for lighter-than-air aircraft;
(ii) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on water; or
(iii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
(2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea level.
(3) A maximum never-exceed speed (VNE) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a glider.
(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.
(5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the pilot.
(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.
(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than a powered glider.
(8) A fixed or autofeathering propeller system if a powered glider.
(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
(10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.
(11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on water or a glider.
(12) Fixed or repositionable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft intended for operation on water.
(13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
SP_Laser

Re: What is a Light-sport aircraft?

Post by SP_Laser »

Paul Hamilton wrote:Common question simple answer:

A new category of aircraft the FAA was allowed that is simple, lightweight and less expensive to own and operate. This is any single-engine, piston-powered aircraft under 1,320 lbs max gross weight. They may be Fixed Wing (traditional airplane), Weight- Shift Control (trikes), Powered Parachutes Gyroplanes, gliders and balloons. The pilot may carry one passenger. The maximum speed is 138 mph (120 knots) full power level flight, have fixed landing gear and a fixed propeller.

The detailed official definition from FAA Title 14 Part 1 (FAR) is:

{New-2004-17 "Light-sport aircraft" added July 27, 2004, effective September 1, 2004}
Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:

(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.
Tragic oversight?

Electric Engines / battery packs are just becoming viable for the lightest of aircraft. However tragically they have been excluded from the LSA category. I wonder if there is any way to correct that?
________
magic flight launch box
Last edited by SP_Laser on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

There are allot of things in the new LSA/SP rule that could be changed for the better. The FAA likes to stay with things they know.

If I was doing a checkride, I would have to ask for a fuel calculation for a cross country task to make sure the pilot would not run out of fuel and crash. I am sure after the technlogy has proved itself with ultralights and experimentals it should be considered.

However, it is a great idea, start to lobby for a change to get it included. EAA would be the best partner for such an effort.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Cub flyer

Electric

Post by Cub flyer »

That might be one of the things to lobby for. Electric power has made amazing advances in RC models. The Auto industry is working on better stuff. When the light batteries get bigger and the motor controllers get smaller we will very quickly have a viable electric airplane.

The Sonex demonstrator is getting close. The guy with the electric weight shift trike is having fun.

I think you could fly a LSA such as the X air or Rans right now by converting to single place and placing batteries in a belly pod.

The SLSA may be a while but experimental Amature built that is LSA legal could happen pretty fast.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
SP_Laser

Re: Electric

Post by SP_Laser »

Cub flyer wrote:That might be one of the things to lobby for. Electric power has made amazing advances in RC models. The Auto industry is working on better stuff. When the light batteries get bigger and the motor controllers get smaller we will very quickly have a viable electric airplane.

The Sonex demonstrator is getting close. The guy with the electric weight shift trike is having fun.

I think you could fly a LSA such as the X air or Rans right now by converting to single place and placing batteries in a belly pod.

The SLSA may be a while but experimental Amature built that is LSA legal could happen pretty fast.
Maybe If I could get a waiver to train in an ELSA (I know some have). Being a sport pilot CFI for a silent Electric Motor Glider would be soo amazingly cool.
________
Honda CB360 specifications
Last edited by SP_Laser on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

We are the people who make the changes. We are the future. Now is the time to move on this stuff since the FAA is "here to help us", and has shown us they can appreciate the Freedom to Fly.

I am sure the FAA would like to paint things "green". Good PR.

Keep us posted. As I said before, I am sure EAA would like to jump on the bandwagon, they have been promoting this electric flight in the magazines.