Status of US S-LSA Market

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Siddhartha

Status of US S-LSA Market

Post by Siddhartha »

Haven't seen any updates recently on the pending Czech Sport Aircraft re-organization, Evektor appears to have abandoned the US S-LSA market for now, Flight Design, Sling and Jabiru still seem to be going concerns, and Czech Sport Aircraft still appears have a US dealer in FL. Was wondering if anyone has any updates on these and other S-LSA manufacturers and dealers in terms of not only sales presence but arguably more importantly product support in the USA? Will S-LSA manufacturers and dealers be able to make it through the current accelerating phase of the COVID-19 pandemic?
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Status of US S-LSA Market

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

The Airplane Factory/SLING Aircraft is alive and doing very well in the US. Both kit and SLSA aircraft sales are strong. They added a Dealer Build center in the Northeast, Goodrich Aviation last year. Their flight school operation in Torrance is successful and there are prospects for a flight school on the east coast to offer Sport Pilot rating in a Sling 2, in addition to their private pilot program.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

BRM Aero (they make Bristell) is still very active here as is the main US distributor (I talked to him recently and flew in one of the planes for a demo flight). And Sling is also doing well in a factory in San Francisco I think.

Also the US Jabiru (engine) distributor changed to the guys who sell the Arion Lightning aircrafts.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Aeroprakt USA is doing pretty good ( selling quite a few planes )

Probably the best priced and overall value LSA plane on the market - you can get a decent 115 knots cruiser ( A-32) for something like 120-30 k brand new- compare that with a Bristell ( which is essentially the same performing plane - same engine, avionics ) for 200K.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

I think Bristell performs a little better (130 KTAS is easy at altitude), but you're really paying for the wider cabin. It isn't an issue unless you're a big guy and need more shoulder room and a more comfortable seat for long trips, and that is expensive. Extra 100k expensive.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

The thing is that A32 cabin width at 50 inches is pretty much the same as Bristell ... I am seriously considering A32 as my next plane.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

As far as I know the Czech Sport Aircraft U.S. distributor has cut ties with the company many months ago.

The A32 is a pretty fun airplane to fly but you can also get a Zlin Norden for the same price with a 912. The Bristell is a 114 knot airplane with the 912 iS and handles much better than the A32 and is absolutely gorgeous inside and out.

I think an A22 under $90K would be the best value in new SLSA’s going.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Warmi wrote:The thing is that A32 cabin width at 50 inches is pretty much the same as Bristell ... I am seriously considering A32 as my next plane.
The Vne is 125 kts. That's a big no for me.
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Thanks for the updates! I prefer a metal S-LSA bird with an established track record like the SportCruiser and was considering the Evektor Harmony but in recent communications with the factory it sounds like parts support is factory direct and I strongly prefer a US presence for training and post-sales support. As I'm in the Northeast I'll check out the Sling situation as I've read that it has nice flying qualities. The Bristel is nice but above my page grade :( .
drseti

Post by drseti »

The situation with Evektor is a little complicated (and more than a little ridiculous). The US distributor (Dreams Come True Aviation) was sued along with Evektor, in connection with a fatal accident that occurred before DCT was even a SportStar dealer. Any monies sent to DCT in conjunction with any Evektor transaction are apparently being seized by the court, to go toward the millions of dollars in damages awarded by the jury! So, one can only get Evektor aircraft, parts, or support directly from the factory (which the US judicial system can't touch), until DCT can get that judgment overturned (by proving to the Court that they shouldn't even have been a defendant in that lawsuit).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

jetcat3 wrote:As far as I know the Czech Sport Aircraft U.S. distributor has cut ties with the company many months ago.
There was no US distributor for the SportCruiser, the latest operation in Sebastian Florida was owned and run by CSA in the Czech Republic, this was the big misconception. They dont trust us americans and after they cut ties with the old US distributor in Texas they decided to run the operation themselves and that's when they opened up shop in Sebastian. Big mistake. Sales of the SportCruiser have fallen off a cliff in the last 4-5 years and I'm sure this has something to do with the second, recent bankruptcy. They have of course closed up shop in Sebastian and moved "parts" to a flight school in Utah. If it wasn't for the flight school in Utah buying planes over the last few years they would have been gone a long time ago. Since, in my opinion the SportCruiser isn't made for flight schools, this operation in Utah seems to bang them up pretty good and buys a lot of parts. They've had their share of incidents and accident over the years and who better to partner with than the company who buys most of the parts. :mrgreen: It's a win for the flight school and now CSA can pawn off the overhead on someone else.
Siddhartha wrote:Thanks for the updates! I prefer a metal S-LSA bird with an established track record like the SportCruiser.....
If you want to buy a SportCruiser, it is a great plane and I love mine, buy a used one and convert to E-LSA. There is no support from the factory so converting to E-LSA will free you from them and allow you the freedom of upgrades if/when you need to make them. They do not issue LOA's/MRA's for any changes so don't bother asking them. Again, I LOVE my SportCruiser and would recommend it to anyone. The older they are the lighter they are so if useful load is important keep this in mind. Also, they older, legacy ones are faster too. :mrgreen:
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Thanks Paul - I was wondering what happened to DCT.

Shawn - Thanks for the info on the Sebastian FL operation. They sold one of their demos up here near me a few months ago. I wonder how much longer the existing SportCruiser fleet will be supported if the bankruptcy situation with the parent company doesn't get resolved in a timely manner? Is the factory still even making Sport Cruisers for other parts of the world and/or spare parts anymore? Not sure of the liability insurance implications of converting to E-LSA either, but that would provide an easier path to upgrade to a 10-in screen Dynon.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Siddhartha wrote:that would provide an easier path to upgrade to a 10-in screen Dynon.
FYI, I have a spare (used, yellow-tagged) Skyview SV-D1000 in my hangar. Email me if interested.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

fatsportpilot wrote:Also the US Jabiru (engine) distributor changed to the guys who sell the Arion Lightning aircrafts.
The engine-side of the Jabiru business has always been there. Jabiru North America and Arion were sister operations co-located in Shelbyville, TN. A few years back, distribution/sales of complete Jabiru aircraft was acquired by Scott Severen’s US Sport Planes in Denton, TX, but the Jabiru engine business remained in Shelbyville, TN (along with Jabiru’s aircraft assembly operation).

I know Scott personally; he’s a member of my EAA chapter. Very nice guy, and passionate about LSAs and ultralights.
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

I met Scott a few years ago, but became re-acquainted with him during the Rainbow Aviation "Light Sport Repairman - Inspection" course that was held at Scott's facility in Denton. Really nice guy.

He had a couple of the Jabiru S-LSA (J230 and J170, IIRC) in the hangar where out class took place, and all the attendees were swarming all over them. Nice airplanes, with HUGE baggage areas. Scott mentioned that if/when the "proposed" changes to LSA go through, Jabiru is almost certain to roll out a gross weight increase to all their airplanes, as they were designed for those higher gross weights in Australia to begin with. He told of one guy who flies his Jabiru J230 with a pair of Great Danes in the back... Looked to me like they could have sprawled out with room to spare!
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX