24 month Transponder check?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Sling 2 Pilot

24 month Transponder check?

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

What are 24 month transponder checks running these days? Haven’t had to have one done since selling my Diamond in 2009.
VFR S-LSA, all glass with Garmin 345R (remote) transponder.
drseti

Re: 24 month Transponder check?

Post by drseti »

It varies widely by location. Here in Lock Haven, I think I paid $100 last time (Keystone Instruments, on the Piper Memorial Airport).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Thank you drseti.
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Here on Long Island I paid $180 at the avionics shop.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

$90.00 in the S.F. Bay Area on January 25, 2019. Precision Static Testing based at LVK drove up to Santa Rosa and did several here at STS on the same day. It's a part time gig for a Jet Blue A320 captain. He could be Matt Damon's twin and I gave him a nice tip.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Scooper wrote:$90.00 in the S.F. Bay Area on January 25, 2019. Precision Static Testing based at LVK drove up to Santa Rosa and did several here at STS on the same day. It's a part time gig for a Jet Blue A320 captain. He could be Matt Damon's twin and I gave him a nice tip.
Thanks Stan, was the test done all remotely? Did they have to access your pitot-static system? I’m told for my aircraft it’s just the transponder. I’ve got a Garmin 345R, which transmits altitude.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
Scooper wrote:$90.00 in the S.F. Bay Area on January 25, 2019. Precision Static Testing based at LVK drove up to Santa Rosa and did several here at STS on the same day. It's a part time gig for a Jet Blue A320 captain. He could be Matt Damon's twin and I gave him a nice tip.
Thanks Stan, was the test done all remotely? Did they have to access your pitot-static system? I’m told for my aircraft it’s just the transponder. I’ve got a Garmin 345R, which transmits altitude.
It wasn't done remotely; he spent an hour with me in my hangar doing the testing and had access to my pitot-static system. This same guy had done the pitot-static tests on my C172 and my Zodiac several times when I was based in Oakland (KOAK). My transponder is a GTX 327 with a separate Sandia SAE 5-35 altitude encoder.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I think for VFR it’s just the transponder. Right around $100 around here*.

I think it’s only for IFR certification that the whole pitot/static system needs checking.

*Word of caution - my last one was around $700. My Garmin failed some test and the easiest way out was installing an overhauled unit. So it goes. Not horrible given my original transponder had performed perfectly for over 10 years.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Same here in Florida, $100 for VFR checks. I have mine done up in Ocala at Quest Avionics.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

The local guy used to charge me $50. Then he sold the avionics shop and the new owner charges $150. :cry:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA