Deal or not?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

N601XP

Deal or not?

Post by N601XP »

I saw a Flight Design CTSW, 2005 with only 323 total time on Barnstormers for the ridiculous price of $32,000, no damage, decent avionics and always hangared.
Too good to be true,right?

So I called the broker handling the sale and here is the situation:
The aircraft is SLSA and the engine has a time limitation that is expired, so it needs to have an overhaul or engine replacement to get in annual.
So great, just change over to ELSA and just keep flying it.
Problem is, to put it into ELSA it must be a current annual. It’s out of annual.
So there it is, a great deal until you figure what it’s going to take to get it flying.
I guess if you have access to a replacement motor, get an annual, do the ELSA changeover and put the original engine back in when it’s converted.
Just thought I’d throw this out there for discussion as I have never seen a situation like this before.
Dave
Otto

Re: Deal or not?

Post by Otto »

Borrow a motor or buy and resell a used motor. Of course that all has you circling the money drain.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

It’s prolly a ULS. If all else is true, 323 TT, always hang’d and NDH, it sounds good for someone who has another $20-30k to spend. That will give you an overhaul on the existing engine or a new 912. Go EAB, put in a 912 iS. $60k still ain’t bad IMO.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Go EAB...
E-LSA, right?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
N601XP

Post by N601XP »

To put it in ELSA it has to have a current annual.
Putting in $20-30k defeats the great bargain.
May as well buy one for $60 k without having to jump thru so many obstacles.
Just doesn’t sound right, I believe there were some discussions about this issue on the CT forum on this mandatory overhaul based on time.
The problem is finding an A&P who will do an annual on it under those circumstances.
Dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

N601XP wrote:I saw a Flight Design CTSW, 2005 with only 323 total time on Barnstormers for the ridiculous price of $32,000, no damage, decent avionics and always hangared.
Too good to be true,right?

So I called the broker handling the sale and here is the situation:
The aircraft is SLSA and the engine has a time limitation that is expired, so it needs to have an overhaul or engine replacement to get in annual.
So great, just change over to ELSA and just keep flying it.
Problem is, to put it into ELSA it must be a current annual. It’s out of annual.
So there it is, a great deal until you figure what it’s going to take to get it flying.
I guess if you have access to a replacement motor, get an annual, do the ELSA changeover and put the original engine back in when it’s converted.
Just thought I’d throw this out there for discussion as I have never seen a situation like this before.
Dave
Sell the old engine to the homebuilt market, then put a new 2000 hour/15 year engine in it. You will have a low time airplane with a new engine for less than $50,000.

Personally I think I can make a pretty good case for going on condition. Flight Design doesn't have a TBO listed for the engine in their maintenance manual. What they do say is to follow Rotax's manual for inspections and maintenance. Rotax's inspection checklist doesn't say anything about TBO. The requirement to follow the manual for maintenance doesn't mean you have to perform the overhaul, but rather if you perform maintenance you must follow the manual.

Until the FAA clarifies its 2 opposing legal interpretations you can be on either side of the fence. Besides inspecting on condition using CFR 43 appendix D should be considered satisfactory means of inspecting the airplane, since it is their own.
comperini

Post by comperini »

I should probably know this, but I don't... what regulation mandates that the plane have a current annual before being allowed to be converted?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
N601XP

Post by N601XP »

Don’t know the regulation or if there even is one.
The DAR doing my conversion of SLSA to ELSA
Made it very clear that he would be checking the logs for a current condition inspection and it was required.
Dave
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Nice airplane.
So much for Elsa being worth less than Slsa.
I wonder if the engine has the case fretting issues. I believe 2005 falls in the time frame.
The engine may be a candidate for a short block replacement rather than a complete engine.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
comperini

Post by comperini »

N601XP wrote:Don’t know the regulation or if there even is one.
The DAR doing my conversion of SLSA to ELSA
Made it very clear that he would be checking the logs for a current condition inspection and it was required.
Dave
I think you have a case to ask him to prove that. FAA ORder 8130.2J doesn't mention that at all
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

Type47 wrote: I wonder if the engine has the case fretting issues. I believe 2005 falls in the time frame.
Unfortunately, it does. Any crankcase s/n lower than 06.0010 is the old design, which is in fact vulnerable to case fretting. But just because it's vulnerable doesn't mean the problem will necessarily develop on that particular engine.

As far as the 12 year TBO limitation is concerned, even in an SLSA it's not mandated in the FARs. The FAA Legal Interpretation that says the manufacturer can't mandate maintenance is more recent that the earlier one that says they can. So you'd be on solid legal ground running the engine on condition. If the A&P/IA won't sign off the aircraft because of this, take the plane to an LSRM, who knows the ASTM rules and probably will!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Have you flown a 2005? There are some differences.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
JJay

Post by JJay »

Where is the airplane?