How is this an LSA... Not complaining

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: How is this an LSA... Not complaining

Post by ShawnM »

I can see from the instrument pics that the builder put a lot of time in mounting the Garmin 496. :mrgreen:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:I can see from the instrument pics that the builder put a lot of time in mounting the Garmin 496. :mrgreen:
The whole panel looks more like a mockup of a panel rather than an actual panel ... but if it flies true , then does it matter ? :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

In the Ad it states "FAA acknowledged"... What does that mean?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Atrosa wrote:In the Ad it states "FAA acknowledged"... What does that mean?
I'm guessing. But the only thing it could mean to me is that someone at FAA acknowledged that if indeed it meets the FAR 1.1 definition of an LSA, then it's an LSA. AFAIK, the FAA doesn't ever verify the performance numbers of an E-AB. That's up to the DAR, and the builder, as measured in Phase 1 flight testing.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
Atrosa wrote:In the Ad it states "FAA acknowledged"... What does that mean?
I'm guessing. But the only thing it could mean to me is that someone at FAA acknowledged that if indeed it meets the FAR 1.1 definition of an LSA, then it's an LSA. AFAIK, the FAA doesn't ever verify the performance numbers of an E-AB. That's up to the DAR, and the builder, as measured in Phase 1 flight testing.
The DAR has nothing to do with establishing the performance numbers of an E-AB aircraft. They simply determine that all of the regulations that are required to be met for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate are met.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think that's what Paul said. I'm sure he didn't mean the DAR was out doing flight testing.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

TimTaylor wrote:I think that's what Paul said. I'm sure he didn't mean the DAR was out doing flight testing.
I don't think he meant the DAR was doing the flight testing, but he did imply that the DAR sets performance limitations. His statement was, "the FAA doesn't ever verify the performance numbers of an E-AB. That's up to the DAR, and the builder,". The DAR does not determine performance numbers. That is determined solely by the builder and the test flight program.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:The DAR does not determine performance numbers. That is determined solely by the builder and the test flight program.
True. (Although I don't know any builders who actually determined Vh, or for that matter, any CAS, during flight testing).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:The DAR does not determine performance numbers. That is determined solely by the builder and the test flight program.
True. (Although I don't know any builders who actually determined Vh, or for that matter, any CAS, during flight testing).
That may be true, and for most airplanes Vh it is not an issue. I do know people who have determined CAS at different speeds using a GPS. While it may not be as accurate as the fancy test probes it is better than nothing.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Even IF you were somehow able to magically wrangle the numbers so an RV-6A qualified as an LSA, with an empty weight pushing 1,000 pounds you'd be lucky if you could carry a decent amount of fuel and more than a toothbrush as baggage. Forget carrying a passenger.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)