Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

chicagorandy

Re: Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Post by chicagorandy »

I'm here at AirVenture doing my tram conductor thing. I was at the Texas Aircraft booth yesterday. It IS a VERY nice looking LSA. Quite robust, large doors, leather seats, twin yokes, BRS chute. Conversations with the sales rep would lead one to believe they are counting heavily on the FAA upping the max gross for LSA within a year or two and this plane is ready for that ruling as it stands.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

To me it looks a lot like a scaled down C172, and that's intended as a compliment. It's a great looking LSA.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Yes, I want one.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:Conversations with the sales rep would lead one to believe they are counting heavily on the FAA upping the max gross for LSA within a year or two and this plane is ready for that ruling as it stands.
I'm curious if the aircraft can comply with all the other LSA restrictions at an increased gross weight.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

My only worry would be the stall speed which would go up with a heavier plane unless if it compensated by some additional lift increasing devices ,which in turn would result in slower cruise speed etc etc ... but I would rather have the manufacturers make these trade-offs rather than having it dictated by the FAA.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
chicagorandy wrote:Conversations with the sales rep would lead one to believe they are counting heavily on the FAA upping the max gross for LSA within a year or two and this plane is ready for that ruling as it stands.
I'm curious if the aircraft can comply with all the other LSA restrictions at an increased gross weight.
If they increase the LSA gross weight specification, they are going to need to increase the stalling speed specification also. Otherwise, why bother? They simply need to look at the universe of aircraft they want to fall within the LSA definition, then change the gross weight and stalling speed to match (or any other LSA limitations they want to change).

At the same time they do this, they should remove the 10 year look back for Basic Med for Private pilot priviledges. If you qualify now, you qualify, period. You never need have held an FAA medical, and it doesn't matter if you ever failed or lost an FAA medical.
Retired from flying.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Move over Colt, to be announced at OSH tonight, High Wing Sling TSi!
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: ...they are going to need to ...

At the same time they do this, they should ...
I wish I had confidence in those "need tos" and "shoulds".
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: ...they are going to need to ...

At the same time they do this, they should ...
I wish I had confidence in those "need tos" and "shoulds".
I have confidence in the first, but not the second. Raising the gross weight but not the stall speed would make no sense.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Move over Colt, to be announced at OSH tonight, High Wing Sling TSi!
They didn’t really show all that much - it does look good though.
I guess the biggest change is having large parts of it made out of composites - not sure how builders will react to it. Composites are in some ways easier and better to work with than metal ( you can fix mistakes easier since you can fabricate and fix parts yourself ) but it does require special training ( EAA offers various composites courses ) and specialized tools.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Warmi wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Move over Colt, to be announced at OSH tonight, High Wing Sling TSi!
I guess the biggest change is having large parts of it made out of composites - not sure how builders will react to it. Composites are in some ways easier and better to work with than metal ( you can fix mistakes easier since you can fabricate and fix parts yourself ) but it does require special training ( EAA offers various composites courses ) and specialized tools.
The cantilever wings are metal, taken from the current TSi, I believe. The cowl, from the prop to the firewall is same as all Slings, then some carbon fiber. Not sue what the fuselage/empennage will be fabricated out of, but suspect metal.

For those interested, go to the airplane factory USA facebook page, they have a video which contains the announcement and a model.

Oh, and its a FOUR seater...
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

So, why compare it to the Colt LSA?
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
Warmi wrote:
The cantilever wings are metal, taken from the current TSi, I believe. The cowl, from the prop to the firewall is same as all Slings, then some carbon fiber. Not sue what the fuselage/empennage will be fabricated out of, but suspect metal.
Oh, and its a FOUR seater...
Interesting . . . pictures from Adventure?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Oh, and it's a FOUR seater...
TimTaylor wrote:So, why compare it to the Colt LSA?
That would be my question, too. How does a four place airplane compete with a two place LSA for pilots exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot?
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Scooper wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Oh, and it's a FOUR seater...
TimTaylor wrote:So, why compare it to the Colt LSA?
That would be my question, too. How does a four place airplane compete with a two place LSA for pilots exercising the privileges of a Sport Pilot?
Stan, I’m betting they are jumping at having a viable A/C in the works, if and when the FAA makes changes to the LSA rules. Just my opinion. No specs yet, a work in progress. It looks pretty good, I like the cantilevered wing. With the 915iS, it will perform as well as their Sling TSi, albeit a few knots slower, per Mike Blythe.