Any Czech/Piper Sport Cruiser owners out there?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FlyAgain

Any Czech/Piper Sport Cruiser owners out there?

Post by FlyAgain »

So in my mostly all internet search for what I might buy down the road I keep coming back to the sport cruiser. Reasons:

1. There are lot of them out there compared to other LSAs on the used market.
2. They look sexy although I don't care much about ramp appeal but they do have a certain look that makes them appear non-LSAish and they have a spacious cockpit according to reviews ( I realize this is relative in the world of sardine cans).
3. There seems to be a support network.
4. There are two major training facilities.
5. BRS parachute system on newer models.
6. They seem to have learned from some mistakes and responded by changes to newer models (beefed up nose gear, canopy vents, better latch, etc)
7. Cheaper than Bristell, Sling, Tecnam which are all scare to non-existent used..

Plan is to drive up to Greeley CO at some point soon to take a flight in one and get a feel for it. Are there any owners here that can offer advice on what to look for, quirks, or experiences good or bad?
Thx
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Any Czech/Piper Sport Cruiser owners out there?

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Have you viewed or subscribed to scflier.com ?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

FlyAgain wrote:So in my mostly all internet search for what I might buy down the road I keep coming back to the sport cruiser. Reasons:

1. There are lot of them out there compared to other LSAs on the used market.
2. They look sexy although I don't care much about ramp appeal but they do have a certain look that makes them appear non-LSAish and they have a spacious cockpit according to reviews ( I realize this is relative in the world of sardine cans).
3. There seems to be a support network.
4. There are two major training facilities.
5. BRS parachute system on newer models.
6. They seem to have learned from some mistakes and responded by changes to newer models (beefed up nose gear, canopy vents, better latch, etc)
7. Cheaper than Bristell, Sling, Tecnam which are all scare to non-existent used..

Plan is to drive up to Greeley CO at some point soon to take a flight in one and get a feel for it. Are there any owners here that can offer advice on what to look for, quirks, or experiences good or bad?
Thx
I can offer all the advice you can process and it is a beautiful plane. As stated please come over to scflier.com and register. EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know is there, the good, the bad and the ugly. I own a legacy 2007 SportCruiser and love the plane, the company, that's another story. :mrgreen:

Shawn
Last edited by ShawnM on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Now that I think about it ... indeed , there seem to be lots of new or nearly new Sportcruisers for sale recently for very reasonable ( compared to new Tecnam or CTLS) prices ..
Is there some kind of dealer special on unsold 2018 stock going on ? :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Like this one

https://www.controller.com/listings/air ... ortcruiser

This particular one is a bit pricy... but this dark rich color - just looks awesome.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

That's the one they had on display at Oshkosh. The interior is hideous for a plane of that color. It's brown and orange for a maroon aircraft. Really?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:That's the one they had on display at Oshkosh. The interior is hideous for a plane of that color. It's brown and orange for a maroon aircraft. Really?
Yeah, but the plane itself is a very nice change of style from the typical white-with-some-vinyl-on-top LSA hehe ...
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

Not an owner but have spent nearly everyday in all various years and serial numbers working for a flight school in Texas that has about fifteen of them. I would recommend getting one from at least 2012 if you’re going to do it, otherwise I believe Tecnam or BRM Aero is the way to go.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:
ShawnM wrote:That's the one they had on display at Oshkosh. The interior is hideous for a plane of that color. It's brown and orange for a maroon aircraft. Really?
Yeah, but the plane itself is a very nice change of style from the typical white-with-some-vinyl-on-top LSA hehe ...
I guess if you like that color scheme. They could have done better for sure. Just my opinion.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:
I guess if you like that color scheme. They could have done better for sure. Just my opinion.
Well, I don’t mind vinyl on white planes ( I own one ) but nice to see something different ...
Now ...what you think about something like this ?

http://www.aeropraktusa.com/assets/IMG_ ... 827394.jpg
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

jetcat3 wrote:Not an owner but have spent nearly everyday in all various years and serial numbers working for a flight school in Texas that has about fifteen of them. I would recommend getting one from at least 2012 if you’re going to do it, otherwise I believe Tecnam or BRM Aero is the way to go.
Maybe, but keep in mind the newer SportCruisers are much heavier than the older ones. If you are above "average" weight the newer ones will almost be a solo aircraft or you'll just have to take a lot less fuel. Many of the newest ones are at the max BEW for a LSA aircraft. This severely limits your useful load. Just food for thought.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:
ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:
Well, I don’t mind vinyl on white planes ( I own one ) but nice to see something different ...
Now ...what you think about something like this ?

http://www.aeropraktusa.com/assets/IMG_ ... 827394.jpg
Oh, you had me at orange. I love that color. :mrgreen:
Very nice looking plane. And what do you know? A black interior that actually compliments the orange and goes with anything. :D
FlyAgain

Post by FlyAgain »

ShawnM wrote:
jetcat3 wrote:Not an owner but have spent nearly everyday in all various years and serial numbers working for a flight school in Texas that has about fifteen of them. I would recommend getting one from at least 2012 if you’re going to do it, otherwise I believe Tecnam or BRM Aero is the way to go.
Maybe, but keep in mind the newer SportCruisers are much heavier than the older ones. If you are above "average" weight the newer ones will almost be a solo aircraft or you'll just have to take a lot less fuel. Many of the newest ones are at the max BEW for a LSA aircraft. This severely limits your useful load. Just food for thought.

Thanks, good to know.
FlyAgain

Post by FlyAgain »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Have you viewed or subscribed to scflier.com ?

I will do that thanks.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

The handling without the anti-servo tab (2006-2010) is insanely sensitive. Even the ailerons are larger and too sensitive in my opinion.

As far as the weight goes, the Aeroprakt A22LS is a sweet flying airplane and essentially eliminates that issue. Looking forward to flying an A32 in the near future. I believe the A32 Vixxen is the best value aircraft in all of LSA right now, but the P2008 turbo is the best overall.