FAA Letter

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: FAA Letter

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:
Warmi wrote:
Yes, why not Shawn ... who knows , after you do comply your plane may actual start flying faster and further and perhaps even stall at significantly lower speeds ... :-)
What a ridiculous response. Are you implying it's OK to ignore FAR's unless you decide there is something in it for you? This attitude gets people killed.
Not thinking , being stupid and careless gets people killed ... one can always claim that not having a correct placard is a gateway drug to much more dangerous and consequential behavior but then again, that’s only if you are not thinking , being stupid and careless ... and in that case, having every applicable placard in the universe will not make any difference anyway ...
As a Sport Pilot with less than two years experience, I'm sure you are an expert on all things aviation. I have always, and will always advocate full compliance with all FAR's. This has worked well for me.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

This actually has nothing to do with flying but more with commons sense but anyway ..

I am not claiming that Shawn should not replace his placards but , at the same time I do recognize, that not having a correct placard is not the same as , for instance flying for 6 months without taking your cowling off or something equally stupid ...
He is a smart guy perfectly capable of evaluating his FAR/placard compliance risks correctly and I am equally confident that he won’t jeopardize his safety regardless of how many inconsequential random jokes about FAA placard he happens to read on an Internet forum ...

And btw .. don’t waste your time trying to insult me at this level .... I couldn’t care less if I am only a Sport Pilot or not. I don’t care about flying in anything but fair weather , don’t take any risk , fly only when I feel like ( and I do mean when I feel like - meaning everything must be right including me waking up on the right side of the bed that very morning ) and have absolutely no undue ambitions in terms of certificates, bragging rights etc ..,
Last edited by Warmi on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Dude, most of us are here to learn from each other and to help each other. In this thread, we have been discussing and debating why the OP was requested to submit additional information regarding the registration of his aircraft. Out of this discussion came the question of the correct placards for an S-SLA subsequently converted to an E-SLA. While there have been varying opinions expressed, the FAR's posted by several of us indicate how to do it correctly. A few people have expressed the opinion that they will ignore the requirement and others of us have suggested that they should comply. If you want to condone non-compliance of FAR's, I suggest this forum is not the place to do it. I also think you should not criticize others who are in favor of full compliance with FAR's. If you have a problem with authority, maybe you should consider a different hobby.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

It was a joke.

You and others who contributed to this thread are absolutely correct about every paragraph and rule and all of that ... and at the same time, none of that will make any difference in terms of the type of flying we are discussing here ... and that’s the joke ...

But yeah , you are right . Nothing really to be gained from not following rules .

It is just a bit funny to me ,since personally I am really very careful and following every darn rule when flying - it makes perfect sense to me since most of these rules are indeed written in blood and I do value my my safety more than any FAA official ever will.
Hell I am the kind of guy who always enters at 45 , tear drops etc ... when I get close to my local airport and if there is any resemblance of chaos , I get the hell out there over the lake to wait it out and then sneak in when everyone else is gone - mostly cause when I do fly I have plenty of time and never need to get anywhere in the first place heheh

So given all that I think it is reasonable and not too out of line , to make a cheap FAA joke now and then ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
RickSigler

Post by RickSigler »

Sorry to get back on point, but I just talked to the dealer and he said the problem was the result of the FAA switching some of the responsibilities from the DAR to the FAA. I didn't fully understand what he told me, but he is clearly on top of the situation. The dealer is getting letters for all 40 registered Bristells at a cost of $100 each ($4,000). That's a big hit for the dealer. I sure appreciate the Dealer's quick response to this issue and resolution. He did mention that it is his understanding that other imported SLSA's will be getting the letter. Just not sure which ones.

Rick
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Rick, thanks for the update. There are a lot of imported SLSAs (mostly from Europe) in the U.S., so I'm sure a number of owners are in for a surprise.

I wonder if the issue is limited to SLSAs that have been converted to ELSA or if it applies to all imported SLSAs.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

So glad you are getting this resolved Rick. Lou and his gang are great people and his customer support is very good. As Stan pointed many LSA's are imported to their respective US dealers so they may start running into this problem going forward. It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.
RickSigler

Post by RickSigler »

John and Lou got the letter last week from the Czech Republic. I sent a copy to the FAA so hopefully I won't be hearing from them anytime soon. John and Lou had to fork over $100 for each letter. Those guys are great and as always, provide great customer service.

Rick