ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: ADSB for Cessna Skycatcher 162

Post by ShawnM »

RBearden56 wrote:Well the link I posted from the Cessna Pilots Association was nothing more than wishful thinking by who ever wrote it. There are steps that can be taken for SLSA aircraft that are orphaned, experimental, or find an existing manufacture or organization that will support ongoing airworthiness for the aircraft. I am at a loss for for that last part. Hey EAA will ups be the orphaned light sport step parents? Cessna has issued the Service Bulletin for ADS-B out and I have a brand new GDL 82 in the box just waiting for the weekend when flying is not so good due to weather.

Now if they will add an ADS-B In using the GDL 39R that interfaces with the GDU 37X I would be set! :P
I also used the GDL-39 for IN. I know the GDU has 3 channels of RS-232 data in/out but I guess Cessna didn't add that into their SB, huh? Too bad it doesn't have bluetooth otherwise you would be all set.
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

I just ordered my kit from Yongling for 6040 shipped. Expensive but the kit is required for compliance.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I also used the GDL-39 for IN. I know the GDU has 3 channels of RS-232 data in/out but I guess Cessna didn't add that into their SB, huh? Too bad it doesn't have bluetooth otherwise you would be all set.
I wonder.....

The 39R is installed so would need manufacturer approval. The portable GDL-39 and it's successor, GDL-50, would not need approval. One could probably secure the GDL-39/50's mount through a 'temporary' method and still be compliant. The question is whether you can plug the serial cable from the GDL to the GDU.
dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

dstclair wrote:
I wonder.....

The 39R is installed so would need manufacturer approval. The portable GDL-39 and it's successor, GDL-50, would not need approval. One could probably secure the GDL-39/50's mount through a 'temporary' method and still be compliant. The question is whether you can plug the serial cable from the GDL to the GDU.
Correct, the 39R would need to be hardwired into the airplanes wiring harness and you’d need a LOA from any S-LSA aircraft manufacturer.

For the 39 there is no “serial cable” hanging off the unit. There is a bare wire connector that you buy from Garmin (I made mine) that again needs to be integrated into the aircraft wire harness to transmit the serial data to make it work with the GDU unit, a LOA would be needed for this also. The 39 will Bluetooth all this data to any tablet running fore flight or similar or any GPS like the Aera 660 or Aera 796 that is Bluetooth capable, just not the GDU.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

ryoder wrote:I just ordered my kit from Yongling for 6040 shipped. Expensive but the kit is required for compliance.
I hope you are not saying you had to pay $6040 for a GDL-82 that retails for $1795. :shock:
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

Yes. It’s the gdl plus installation kit.
It’s reqired for compliance with the SB. It’s the only option for Skycatcher owners.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

ShawnM wrote:
For the 39 there is no “serial cable” hanging off the unit. There is a bare wire connector that you buy from Garmin (I made mine) that again needs to be integrated into the aircraft wire harness to transmit the serial data to make it work with the GDU unit, a LOA would be needed for this also. The 39 will Bluetooth all this data to any tablet running fore flight or similar or any GPS like the Aera 660 or Aera 796 that is Bluetooth capable, just not the GDU.
Yes, I realize a serial cable is required — it’s how I connected up my GDL-39 to my G795. My pondering was whether connecting a serial wire to installed equipment required a LOA.
dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

dstclair wrote:
ShawnM wrote:
Yes, I realize a serial cable is required — it’s how I connected up my GDL-39 to my G795. My pondering was whether connecting a serial wire to installed equipment required a LOA.
Technically yes, a LOA would be required because you are modifying the wiring harness from something other than what the factory delivered. Is it ridiculous? Yup, but I didn't make the rules. Did you get an LOA when you did this for your Sting? (I'm assuming we are talking about your last plane)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

ryoder wrote:Yes. It’s the gdl plus installation kit.
It’s reqired for compliance with the SB. It’s the only option for Skycatcher owners.
OMG !!! :shock:

Is the "install kit" made of titanium or gold? I'd love to see what you get for the $4245 premium from Cessna. That's just "plane" robbery and ridiculous.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
ryoder wrote:Yes. It’s the gdl plus installation kit.
OMG !!! :shock:

Is the "install kit" made of titanium or gold? I'd love to see what you get for the $4245 premium from Cessna. That's just "plane" robbery and ridiculous.
Hehehe... if I owned a Cessna 162 I would instantly switch to ELSA - there is nothing to be gained staying LSA - it is a practically an orphaned model anyway.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

ShawnM wrote: Technically yes, a LOA would be required because you are modifying the wiring harness from something other than what the factory delivered. Is it ridiculous? Yup, but I didn't make the rules. Did you get an LOA when you did this for your Sting? (I'm assuming we are talking about your last plane)
I got the functional equivalent. TL updates an approved equipment list every year or so and I got them to add the Garmin GDL-series and all Aeras.
dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

dstclair wrote:
ShawnM wrote: Technically yes, a LOA would be required because you are modifying the wiring harness from something other than what the factory delivered. Is it ridiculous? Yup, but I didn't make the rules. Did you get an LOA when you did this for your Sting? (I'm assuming we are talking about your last plane)
I got the functional equivalent. TL updates an approved equipment list every year or so and I got them to add the Garmin GDL-series and all Aeras.
What a great aircraft manufacturer to work with. That's the way the should all operate. I just pulled my PAPR report this morning after my flight and it was perfect in every area. Love my GDL-82.
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

SLSA has benefits. I’ll stay SLSA until there are good reasons not to. It’s not orphaned.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

I think I'd take it if they paid me $32,500.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US