What is your interest level in Light Sport flying?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: What is your interest level in Light Sport flying?

Post by MrMorden »

dalewalt wrote:"broader" appeal. I see what you did there ;-)
Ha!

There are actually a lot of "plus sized" pilots that fly a Sonex in "bubba" mode. They build it with center stick controls, then sit in the middle of the bench seat with the stick between their legs and use the outer pedals. It's a one seat airplane when they fly that way, but it's one BIG seat! If they have to take a passenger, they just squish over to one side and the stick works as designed as a side stick in the right hand.

Here's one set up for Bubba Mode:

Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

This will sound a bit like a broken record, I'm sure. My sense is that GA generally and the promise of Light Sport aviation specifically would be measurably improved if there was a wider awareness of the entire LSA certified fleet to include the many LSA a/c that are quite affordable to buy and maintain. But mostly, we instead have two groups of high profile choices. The high ticket models that are heavily marketed (and priced higher as a result) and the 'cult aircraft' that have enjoyed a higher profile for one reason or another whether deserved in a commercial, comparative sense or not. So e.g. we have the RV-12 which is a fine a/c in its own right but has enjoyed a commercial tailwind because of Van's long standing reputation with E-AB (not LSA) a/c and also because of the tremendous support network available at vansairforce.com. It's that same context in which I place the Sonex (and it's 'nex kinfolk), given the geographical and professional association of the Monnett family, the EAA and the Oshkosh location they both share. I don't mean anything critical by that. My point is simply that if the Sonex had been introduced in 2014 and placed in the context of today's line-up of LSA aircraft, I doubt it would enjoy the acceptance nor earn the notoriety that benefits it today. Time has simply moved on and, for all the design cleverness and the large performance envelope available to the builder community, it looks and literally feels (when residing in the cockpit for any length of time) like last week's bread.

By contrast, consider the Panther (single seat) and Cougar (tandem seat, and still in development). To me this is the kind of LSA kit a/c that's contemporary in every respect: how it's designed to be home built, the wide envelope it offers the pilot since it can be built E-AB or E-LSA with a wide range of engine choices, and how it looks and 'feels'. This is all just my opinion, of course...but I can't imagine someone standing in front of a Sonex and Panther, parked side by side, without feeling they are seeing two different generations of home built LSA's, in much the same way a Tri-Pacer would look like parked next to a Cherokee.

https://flywithspa.com
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
dalewalt

Post by dalewalt »

Interesting comments Jack, thanks. Any insight on how a new pilot can investigate the different available planned out there? I'm specifically interested in a side by side, I'd rather not have a tandem or a single seater
drseti

Post by drseti »

The best source of info on available LSAs is probably http://www.bydanjohnson.com.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dalewalt

Post by dalewalt »

Thanks professor!